So about Anthem

ivan134

I'm hyped. It looks like a mixture of Borderlands and Warframe to me and I loved both of this games. I love sci fi and I love well done RPG shooters like Borderlands and Warframe (if we ignore how grindy it is). This looks like what Destiny should have been. I hope it turns out well.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I don't really see the reference to Borderlands 2. The game was all about fun with collecting legendaries, open world and killing mass enemy with your friend. Anthem looks a bit more serious in a Crysis or Mass Effect type not funny and comically like Borderlands. Though I am looking forward to B3

Never tried Warframe though.

All i wish for is no visual downgrade.

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

I am not going to judge by the trailer, wait until the game releases, i must admit if Xbox X can run games this good, we might see very visual impressive games, Battlefront 2 looks really good on ultra at 1080p on the pc, so 1440p on ps4 pro, this game might be difficult to run due to it aiming for 60fps, VR wil also be another discussion, really hoping we see something like VR on the Xbox x. 

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I don't really see the reference to Borderlands 2. The game was all about fun with collecting legendaries, open world and killing mass enemy with your friend. Anthem looks a bit more serious in a Crysis or Mass Effect type not funny and comically like Borderlands. Though I am looking forward to B3

This game is open world too (at least it seems so and that's what they said). In the clip, the player gets a legendary weapon, lol.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Also warframe is free, so try it. LIke I said, it's really grindy though.

Looks like all the facial animations from andromeda were moved onto this. haha

always gives me a giggle. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Just now, ivan134 said:

Also warframe is free, so try it. LIke I said, it's really grindy though.

Is it offlineable? Because most free games need internet. Sometimes I just want to be alone with myself and enjoy the game as is.

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

This game is open world too (at least it seems so and that's what they said).

Also I hope those are real humans not AI. Because of how they use real names not usernames (imagine a game with many Pauls and Ryans lol)

It looks open world but to have that level of detail in game I don't think it will be as large as Borderlands 2 or else rip storage

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

In the clip, the player gets a legendary weapon, lol.

Did he? Must have missed that. Well what's the fun in getting a powerful weapon already.

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Is it offlineable? Because most free games need internet. Sometimes I just want to be alone with myself and enjoy the game as is.

Also I hope those are real humans not AI. Because of how they use real names not usernames (imagine a game with many Pauls and Ryans lol)

It looks open world but to have that level of detail in game I don't think it will be as large as Borderlands 2 or else rip storage

Did he? Must have missed that. Well what's the fun in getting a powerful weapon already.

You can't play it offline, but you can play it solo. You can change settings so you don't get matched with anyone. You will need to though later on as the game gets harder if you want good loot.

Yea, those are people, not AI.

Borderlands doesn't really have a big open world though. Just really large "instanced" areas. Anthem looks better in that regard.

Well, they were about level 32 - 35 for that playthrough, so much later stage of the game.

21 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I'm hyped. It looks like a mixture of Borderlands and Warframe to me and I loved both of this games. I love sci fi and I love well done RPG shooters like Borderlands and Warframe (if we ignore how grindy it is). This looks like what Destiny should have been. I hope it turns out well.

I was hyped despite the lame name then I saw the article where they confirm its not an RPG :(:( 

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I was hyped despite the lame name then I saw the article where they confirm its not an RPG :(:( 

What article? Also, it's a shooter RPG which is more in the action RPG section. They tend to be more fast paced, but still have RPG elements. You're still going to have stats to worry about.

4 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

What article? Also, it's a shooter RPG which is more in the action RPG section. They tend to be more fast paced, but still have RPG elements. You're still going to have stats to worry about.

They said in a statement it is not RPG they are classing it as action/adventure. Aka linear story no character customisation or classes.

I can't link the article as it's a gaming site and I'm on a work machine.

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

They said in a statement it is not RPG they are classing it as action/adventure. Aka linear story no character customisation or classes

Huh? In the gameplay, they explicitly said they had different classes of exosuits and talked about customizations of the suits. Again, what article or statement are you talking about? Link? Also, rewatch the video.

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Huh? In the gameplay, they explicitly said they had different classes of exosuits and talked about customizations of the suits. Again, what article or statement are you talking about? Link? Also, rewatch the video.

I watched it live on E3 last night. Different types of suit doesn't make it an RPG it makes it a shooter with loadouts. You wouldn't call titanfall an RPG would you?

EDIT: had to use mobile :P

http://www.pcgamer.com/everything-we-know-about-anthem-biowares-new-action-adventure-game/

3 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

-SNIP-

There are sub genres of RPG. For Bethesda, RPG to them means story telling and that shows in Elder Scrolls and Fallout. This game falls under action RPG. While I haven't seen it, I'm pretty sure the tankier exosuit has more health so in this case the exosuits will be the classes. Bungie also refused to call Destiny a loot shooter RPG. That doesn't mean it wasn't. Anthem falls in the same category as Diablo and Borderlands.

Edited by W-L
Moderation

10 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

There are sub genres of RPG. For Bethesda, RPG to them means story telling and that shows in Elder Scrolls and Fallout. This game falls under action RPG. While I haven't seen it, I'm pretty sure the tankier exosuit has more health so in this case the exosuits will be the classes. Bungie also refused to call Destiny a loot shooter RPG. That doesn't mean it wasn't. Anthem falls in the same category as Diablo and Borderlands.

RPG. Role Playing Game. A game where you can role play as your character. The most basic requirement for an RPG is character creation and customisation, both of which Destiny has. The fact that they are going out of their way to state that this categorically isn't an RPG means, at least to me that it will be very linear "on rails" story for example your actions will be very inconsequential (unlike Mass Effect for example). Titanfall has different suits it doesn't make it an RPG, CoD and Halo have different loadouts they aren't RPGs either. Borderlands has classes, skill trees and customisation = is an RPG. The extreme of an RPG would be Mass Effect where you change the shape of the game play through to play through or Fallout.

Like I said in my 1st post I was hyped despite the lame name when I watched E3. Then I saw the article and lost hype. Time and more information will tell but its not looking good for now. Especially because EA's latest games are all using the frostbite engine and Bioware have said that making an RPG in the frostbite engine was a real challenge as it is not made for it. This is part of the reason why DA: Inquisition and ME: Andromeda fell short of previous titles in the series. Don't get me wrong Andromeda had other issues but the studio blamed the amount of time spent reworking the frostbite engine as a major sink in development time. The frostbite engine is tried and tested in games like battlefield and battlefront with excellent graphics and action gameplay with basic story. This coupled with the careful "action/adventure" wording makes me suspect it will be far from an RPG sadly.

If its wasn't a co-op game. I would enjoy playing a RPG like this one. Any game requiring me to play with others is dead in the water for me.  

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

1 hour ago, tom_w141 said:

RPG. Role Playing Game. A game where you can role play as your character. The most basic requirement for an RPG is character creation and customisation, both of which Destiny has. The fact that they are going out of their way to state that this categorically isn't an RPG means, at least to me that it will be very linear "on rails" story for example your actions will be very inconsequential (unlike Mass Effect for example). Titanfall has different suits it doesn't make it an RPG, CoD and Halo have different loadouts they aren't RPGs either. Borderlands has classes, skill trees and customisation = is an RPG. The extreme of an RPG would be Mass Effect where you change the shape of the game play through to play through or Fallout.

Like I said in my 1st post I was hyped despite the lame name when I watched E3. Then I saw the article and lost hype. Time and more information will tell but its not looking good for now. Especially because EA's latest games are all using the frostbite engine and Bioware have said that making an RPG in the frostbite engine was a real challenge as it is not made for it. This is part of the reason why DA: Inquisition and ME: Andromeda fell short of previous titles in the series. Don't get me wrong Andromeda had other issues but the studio blamed the amount of time spent reworking the frostbite engine as a major sink in development time. The frostbite engine is tried and tested in games like battlefield and battlefront with excellent graphics and action gameplay with basic story. This coupled with the careful "action/adventure" wording makes me suspect it will be far from an RPG sadly.

Your 1st paragraph contradicts itself. You start off saying RPG must have character creation and customization then end it with "linear story isn't RPG." Is Borderlands an RPG to you? I said the exact same thing that Bethesda considers an RPG to be story driven with the player having influence on it and I said there are sub genres of RPG. Do you think Diablo and Borderlands aren't RPGs because you cant influence outcomes?

Just now, ivan134 said:

Your 1st paragraph contradicts itself. You start off saying RPG must have character creation and customization then end it with "linear story isn't RPG." Is Borderlands an RPG to you? I said the exact same thing that Bethesda considers an RPG to be story driven with the player having influence on it and I said there are sub genres of RPG. Do you think Diablo and Borderlands aren't RPGs because you cant influence outcomes?

No it doesn't, I'm saying there are levels to RPG. You can be super basic: Destiny, Moderate customisation: Borderlands or Full Control: ME, Elder Scrolls, Fallout...

This sounds like they aren't even trying to be even the most basic of RPGs. Time will tell :) just bookmark this thread for 12 months time ;) I'm confident based on Bioware's stated issues with the frostbite engine that they won't try and make another RPG in this engine, combined with the statement "action/adventure". People love RPGs if your game is an RPG you sure as shit market it as such because people know RPGs have depth.

5 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

No it doesn't, I'm saying there are levels to RPG. You can be super basic: Destiny, Moderate customisation: Borderlands or Full Control: ME, Elder Scrolls, Fallout...

This sounds like they aren't even trying to be even the most basic of RPGs. Time will tell :) just bookmark this thread for 12 months time ;) I'm confident based on Bioware's stated issues with the frostbite engine that they won't try and make another RPG in this engine, combined with the statement "action/adventure". People love RPGs if your game is an RPG you sure as shit market it as such because people know RPGs have depth.

Sorry for overreacting earlier.

Scripted to the last frame. Nothing but a blender at this point. Cant judge the game at all.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Wait linking something to warframe is a good thing?

I make bad life decisions.

21 minutes ago, lkarej said:

Wait linking something to warframe is a good thing?

Why would it be bad?