Seagate vs western digital ?

Depends on drive model.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

7 minutes ago, Justux204 said:

I have WD blue works great but that shit is loud... also vibrates alot

really? I don't have that issue

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

Honestly these days I prefer HGST NAS over the others (you could say it's western digital since they're owned by them)

For the budget/low end I'd go with WD over Seagate any day ... WD blue these days should be a mix of the old blue drives and the old wd green series (they killed the green and merged the series).

They're still more reliable imho compared to the cheap Seagate.

From the reviews I see around , the WD Red and Purple drives don't inspire confidence to me.

If you can, my advice would be to buy drives with at least 3 years warranty.. they generally last longer (but you can also have bad luck and just have the drive die on you within the first couple of weeks)

Hi Technicolor,

all major manufacturers try to improve their lifetime and reliability year by year. Besides choosing a brand, it is much more important to use the right drive for your purpose - e.g. if you are running in a 24/7 environment, you might not want to use a regular desktop drive. We recommend picking your drive type in regards to your usage behavior as of the table below:

Types.jpg

On 6/11/2017 at 8:40 AM, Sierra Fox said:

...Seagate FireCuda = SSHD hybrid, most expensive, uses bullshit and magic to figure out what storage goes on which parts of the drive...

Technically speaking, we don't necessarily use bull**** to figure out SSD cache/HDD usage... ;)

The SSHD tries to combine some of the most important SSD features with high capacities of regular HDDs. Forum cross-linking is not allowed but there was a user test in another forum showing that -especially in a PS4- near-SSD performance is reached after booting or loading the same content about 3-4 times. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

4 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Hi Technicolor,

all major manufacturers try to improve their lifetime and reliability year by year. Besides choosing a brand, it is much more important to use the right drive for your purpose - e.g. if you are running in a 24/7 environment, you might not want to use a regular desktop drive. We recommend picking your drive type in regards to your usage behavior as of the table below:

Types.jpg

Technically speaking, we don't necessarily use bull**** to figure out SSD cache/HDD usage... ;)

The SSHD tries to combine some of the most important SSD features with high capacities of regular HDDs. Forum cross-linking is not allowed but there was a user test in another forum showing that -especially in a PS4- near-SSD performance is reached after booting or loading the same content about 3-4 times. 

I have question since you work at Seagate.

I bought Barracuda last time like 8-10 years ago (250 GB SATA) and it failed in like 3 days. Do you know reason why your drives are failing that much on our PC's ?

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

19 hours ago, domandric034 said:

I have question since you work at Seagate.

I bought Barracuda last time like 8-10 years ago (250 GB SATA) and it failed in like 3 days. Do you know reason why your drives are failing that much on our PC's ?

Hi domandric,

we are very sorry to hear your drive failed that quickly...

Although we certainly do not deny that there will always be issues with any hard drive at some point (they are mechanical devices that just wear off), as already stated we are constantly trying to enhance our drives since 1979 - in regards to performance and reliability.

Modern hard drives from ANY manufacturer can be considered high tech devices that have been optimized over decades. As a side note - if you are interested in how hard drives really work, please take a look at this link:

How Hard Disk Drives Work

To get back to your question: of course we are not interested in and do not expect drives to be failing as quickly as yours which is why in those cases we are replacing those devices under warranty. 

We hope you took advantage of having your drive replaced back when that happened...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming