College Laptop Advice

Looking for a solid all around laptop for college. 

Budget: $2000

I want to avoid the gamer aesthetic as much as possible. I like laptops that are subtle with no bright colors or lights. Smaller than 17" is a must.

I'd like something with a 1080p display. I don't see the point of 4k on a laptop. Waste of battery life imo. I'd prioritize a quality display with a high refresh rate, low input lag, and excellent color scale any day over a higher resolution.

Games like cs go and dayz are my go-to these days. I think something like a gtx 1060 paired with the newer kaby lakes would be right up my alley. 

M.2 SSD support. I like fast load times.

I've looked at the Gigabyte Aero 15 and the Dell XPS 15. I lack personal experience with either so maybe you guys could tell me your opinions?

Would it not be better to spend on on a gaming pc (tower kind) and get a budget laptop/chromebook for taking notes?

Idk I know nothing :P

4 minutes ago, Smittyyboy said:

Looking for a solid all around laptop for college. 

Budget: $2000

I want to avoid the gamer aesthetic as much as possible. I like laptops that are subtle with no bright colors or lights. Smaller than 17" is a must.

I'd like something with a 1080p display. I don't see the point of 4k on a laptop. Waste of battery life imo. I'd prioritize a quality display with a high refresh rate, low input lag, and excellent color scale any day over a higher resolution.

Games like cs go and dayz are my go-to these days. I think something like a gtx 1060 paired with the newer kaby lakes would be right up my alley. 

M.2 SSD support. I like fast load times.

I've looked at the Gigabyte Aero 15 and the Dell XPS 15. I lack personal experience with either so maybe you guys could tell me your opinions?

there is several laptops at comptex at the moment which release soon so maybe wait for one of them

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

I usually like to look at my desired full specs and check out everything, regardless of cost, and see what is available.  Then I see what models or manufacturers can come closest.  I break it down to 3, and look at the options they offer where they 'might' make sacrifices I live with.  THEN I go to their outlet center and see if they have any open box or scrath & dent models on the discount.

I usually end up very surprised at the deals I find, and the discounted prices machines and equipment are available for.  Anyway, check out the Dell Outlet if you're interested in the XPS 15.  You might find what you're looking for, well under your budget.   More money for accessories.....WOOT!!!

1 minute ago, C4xy said:

Would it not be better to spend on on a gaming pc (tower kind) and get a budget laptop/chromebook for taking notes?

Idk I know nothing :P

Ive thought about it. I'm going to a larger university and living in dorms so I don't want to have a $1000 pc in my room that could get stolen. Plus this way it's easier to go to LAN parties with the mates 

There is a Ryzen laptop coming out soon, but you may want an OriginPC laptop because they avoid the Gamer-y aesthetic.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

Just now, Smittyyboy said:

Ive thought about it. I'm going to a larger university and living in dorms so I don't want to have a $1000 pc in my room that could get stolen. Plus this way it's easier to go to LAN parties with the mates 

Yea, agreed I see what you mean I wouldn't trust a $1000 pc in a dorm either. 

Dell outlet had this.  It does have 4k, but most things with this power will have it natively, even if you're not wanting it.  However, the price is right.  It's a 1050 instead of a 1060, but I only looked at like 3 of them, so there may have been something there that's a little better.

laptop.JPG

3 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Dell outlet had this.  It does have 4k, but most things with this power will have it natively, even if you're not wanting it.  However, the price is right.  It's a 1050 instead of a 1060, but I only looked at like 3 of them, so there may have been something there that's a little better.

laptop.JPG

Yeah so far this thing has pretty much checked all the boxes and no one has convinced me not to get it. About to watch the ltt video on it ? 

If you do decide to get an accessory with it, the TB16 is a pretty good thunderbolt dock.

6 hours ago, Smittyyboy said:

snip

Aero 15 is just a more powerful XPS15 for more money.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

On 6/2/2017 at 7:40 PM, Pendragon said:

Aero 15 is just a more powerful XPS15 for more money.

I see that it has a 1060 and RGB keyboard, but I don't see how it is more powerful.  Benchmarks show them pretty close together, which is surprising with a 6GB 1060 onboard.  Would have expected more.  It's also $200 more.

• NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 GDDR5 6GB Graphics
  • Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz)
  • X-Rite™ Pantone® Certified Display
  • RAM 16 GB DDR4 Memory 512 GB M.2 SATA SSD
  • 15.6" Full HD 1920x1080 WVA High-Res Display
  • 1 x Thunderbolt 3, 1 x Mini DisplayPort1.3, 1 x HDMI2.0
  • 94Whr Battery with Long Battery Life up to 10 hours
  • 16.8 million color Island-Style per-key RGB backlight keyboard

1 hour ago, Doramius said:

Benchmarks

Link. These. Benches. I flat out don't believe it. 

Laptop Main

On 6/5/2017 at 11:44 AM, Pendragon said:

Link. These. Benches. I flat out don't believe it. 

If you're asking for links, first provide your own.  And provide something more substantial than just the video card, while remembering "I want to avoid the gamer aesthetic as much as possible. I like laptops that are subtle with no bright colors or lights.".

5 hours ago, Doramius said:

If you're asking for links, first provide your own.  And provide something more substantial than just the video card, while remembering "I want to avoid the gamer aesthetic as much as possible. I like laptops that are subtle with no bright colors or lights.".

a) I'm not the one claiming outrageously stupid things like a 1050 performs similar to a 1060. That's just dumb. I didn't want to call you dumb cause I was being polite the first time. As for sources:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigabyte-Aero-15-7700HQ-GTX-1060-FHD-Laptop-Review.215364.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-15-9560-i7-7700HQ-UHD-Laptop-Review.200648.0.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAiH6rdr78Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpe_6ILN5k

I could link a dozen more but it should be pretty fucking obvious.

b) Yes. It has a stupidly high battery life. RGB can be turned off. Looks fine as a work laptop. Bezeless screen on the Aero15 makes it literally a better XPS15. It's camera is positioned properly. It's cooling is much better. It has a HDD without sacrificing battery life. 

Laptop Main

I still don't think you're understanding, and you seem to be interested in a flame war rather than using reviews that support your argument.  They have the same processor and the same memory.  The XPS has a 97WHr vs the 94WHr battery.  The problem is, unless your sole job REQUIRES higher graphics, the 1060 card is pointless and an added cost that serves no more purpose than having a V12 vehicle to drive 30KPH around local streets.  Adding RGB to the system and saying "you can turn it off", follows that same thought.  "Pay more for something you won't use, because my opinion is right and who cares about your situation or scenario."  

That's great to offer the system, but because it HAS the bigger video card for use in a very high possible situation where it will not get utilized to its full potential with the added cost, I don't see it any more powerful.  Add that to the plastic build of the Gigabyte system where the hinges are notoriously known to break within 6 months, because the PEM nuts break loos from the plastic hinge mounts, vs the anodized aluminum body on the XPS and solid mount points to the upper chassis.....the constant opening, closing, and bumping around from college life would lean a recommendation to the more durable body.

If we are talking about me personally, and how much I game, and how much I'd put any heavy wear and tear physically on the machine, how much I use graphics software and video editing.....I'd go for the Gigabyte.  I don't carry my laptop around frequently.  If I did light gaming, and didn't have to run any of the Adobe suite for my job, I'd be going with the XPS.  

19 hours ago, Pendragon said:

I could link a dozen more but it should be pretty fucking obvious.

You're right.  It is obvious, you aren't reading the first post or asking any other probing questions before presenting your opinion.  Now, if you want, you can create another thread where you talk about a situation that requires higher graphics for video editing and visual design, along with gameplay while comparing the 2x, I'll probably post and say the Gigabyte is more powerful.....even though the trackpad is still better on the XPS, the Aero camera is in a worse position than the XPS, Aero only has a FHD screen vs UHD, and the XPS has a touch screen.  I really don't heavily care about the touch screen, but having it makes using amazon & newegg easier, and the wife likes the touch screen when she plays those freaky facebook games.

6 minutes ago, CerberusLabrat said:

@Doramius, man, give me a heads up to grab some popcorn before you get into it with Pendragon next time xD

Anytime.  Just don't bring up a conversation on what machine you popped it on.  He might provide a review for a commercial machine for a movie theater.  Of course, you may need that much popcorn when that happens. ;)

On 6/5/2017 at 0:20 PM, Doramius said:

Benchmarks show them pretty close together, which is surprising with a 6GB 1060 onboard.

2 hours ago, Doramius said:

That's great to offer the system, but because it HAS the bigger video card for use in a very high possible situation where it will not get utilized to its full potential with the added cost, I don't see it any more powerful.

Literally contradictory. One is talking about benchmarks. One is talking about subjective use. LOL.

Also please let me know of a situation where if you have a 1050 you don't benefit from getting a 1060. Gaming? no. Video editing? no. In what situation would it be MORE advantageous to have a 1050 than a 1060. And going with your thought process, if you don't need high graphics power, get a T470p or Dell 5480 with 0 discrete graphics.

at to the plastic build of the Gigabyte system where the hinges are notoriously known to break within 6 months, because the PEM nuts break loos from the plastic hinge mounts, vs the anodized aluminum body on the XPS and solid mount points to the upper chassis.....the constant opening, closing, and bumping around from college life would lean a recommendation to the more durable body.

Yes it's a plastic build. Want to know other things that are plastic? Thinkpads. Elitebooks. Zbooks. Just cause it's plastic doesn't mean it's not built solid. With aluminum and metal, when pressure it's put on, the chassis only warps, it doesn't break. When a METAL chassis warps against a PCB that's gg. Whereas plastic, the piece with too much pressure from a drop just snaps off. Both machines are built solid.

Secondly, the Aero15 DOESNT even use the hinges from it's traditional line. So. Well played there. 

even though the trackpad is still better on the XPS

Yes. Doesn't mean it's not good. It's just not as good.

the Aero camera is in a worse position than the XPS

No it's not. It's angled better and centered.

Aero only has a FHD screen vs UHD, and the XPS has a touch screen

Aero15 FHD screen is calibrated out of the box better than XPS FHD. Yes XPS offers UHD. It's up to the user to decided whether they need it. 

2 years down the line, the 1050 is going to struggle with newer games whereas a 1060 will still be fine. 

Laptop Main

17 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Literally contradictory. One is talking about benchmarks. One is talking about subjective use. LOL.

Also please let me know of a situation where if you have a 1050 you don't benefit from getting a 1060. Gaming? no. Video editing? no. In what situation would it be MORE advantageous to have a 1050 than a 1060. And going with your thought process, if you don't need high graphics power, get a T470p or Dell 5480 with 0 discrete graphics.

Yes it's a plastic build. Want to know other things that are plastic? Thinkpads. Elitebooks. Zbooks. Just cause it's plastic doesn't mean it's not built solid. With aluminum and metal, when pressure it's put on, the chassis only warps, it doesn't break. When a METAL chassis warps against a PCB that's gg. Whereas plastic, the piece with too much pressure from a drop just snaps off. Both machines are built solid.

Secondly, the Aero15 DOESNT even use the hinges from it's traditional line. So. Well played there. 

Yes. Doesn't mean it's not good. It's just not as good.

No it's not. It's angled better and centered.

Aero15 FHD screen is calibrated out of the box better than XPS FHD. Yes XPS offers UHD. It's up to the user to decided whether they need it. 

2 years down the line, the 1050 is going to struggle with newer games whereas a 1060 will still be fine. 

I'm laughing at you fighting, and for no reason.  You can just admit that you didn't pay attention to the first post, or you can still argue whatever point you're trying to accomplish.  You're not even completely reading what I've replied, or to your own links and reviews.  I'm not even sure you understand completely what you're saying and the purpose of the thread.  

I can tell you're pretty young, energetic, and excitable.  Very interested in tech and want to spill your knowledge of tech all over the internet.  I will give you a piece of advice and tell you to try listening to a person's original request and offer them what they ask for instead of doing a "Best Buy" upsell.  And finally leave you wtih:

Capture.JPG

5 hours ago, Doramius said:

try listening to a person's original request and offer them what they ask for instead of doing a "Best Buy" upsell.

I worked at the blue shitshow and didn't care about doing those upsells because I'd already worked at Microcenter and Fry's beforehand and realized that actually selling a customer what they need gets more sales than trying to talk them into something that gets me or the company the most money.

6 hours ago, Doramius said:

snip

so this is what happens when you run out of facts. i c. 

1 hour ago, CerberusLabrat said:

snip

You're getting a real kick out of this aren't you? ;) 

Laptop Main

[removed]

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'm going to get shot down, but I use an Alienware 15 R3 with the lighting turned off in a law firm where everyone has Macbooks.  No one notices.  If you can find a 1080p 60Hz model with the 99Whr battery, i7, and 1060, that's what I got and I get 8 hours on battery comfortably.

You can't play DayZ with a 1060 at 4K.  That's why I recommend a 1080p panel and maybe buying a 4k monitor for back at the dorm.