Am I doing it right?

Cl2G

JBL LSR305 / Modi - Magni 2 uber @24/96 via optical toslink. 

Anyone else with NICE setups? 

IMG_0597.JPG

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

I would personally spread out the speakers a bit more if you can, but I am no better. My speakers are also very close together...

Nice setup, I just wonder what you use that schiit stack for since I see no headphones.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Headphones? If you're not using headphones the Magni is pretty redundant. 

Also, I would move the speakers apart a bit. My usual rule of thumb for speakers is for them to be atleast 1.5 meters apart. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

12 hours ago, Zweihander said:

Where are your cans? :|

Safely put away so no dust gets on them.  Sennheiser Hd600's.  Hd380 pros for gaming and daily use and beyerdynamic dt990's. 

Saving up for some higher end models down the road.  I went with the stack because I figured they'd serve me well as I upgrade over time. 

I have a 60" desk. 

Im spaced at exactly 1m now with a true equilateral triangle to my seating position. 

The stereo imaging of the of the jbls is unreal. If I had more space I would def go a little wider but in working with my limits here. Don't want to put my pc on the floor. :(

I've stayed near the $200 mark for headphones in the past. 

Im not tied to any brand but I do seem to prefer closed back designs. 

What's a good pair to look st in the sub $500 range?  

I listen to all genres and really like tight, articulate sound over other sound signatures. I want detail and precision more than anything. 

49 minutes ago, EinZerstorer said:

Safely put away so no dust gets on them.  Sennheiser Hd600's.  Hd380 pros for gaming and daily use and beyerdynamic dt990's. 

What's the problem with having dust on them? They would be easy enough to dust off and it seems like a pain to have to retrive them everytime you wanna use them.

44 minutes ago, EinZerstorer said:

What's a good pair to look st in the sub $500 range?  

You could give the Shure SRH1540s a try. They should be sub $500. 

They aren't the most precis thing on the planet, but the sound is tight and very direct. 

And since you asked for setups. 

IMG_1206.thumb.JPG.503822f29e127bd56890a44f20d6d49e.JPG

IMG_1207.thumb.JPG.cbaae590f83cf879cab086682c3d9fc2.JPG

Yeah, it's messy as all hell. 

That's what I'm currently working with in my home office. The setup in the basement studio is quite different, though. But I generally don't use that for casual music consumption. 

Are you big into vinyl?  Finding it to be worthwhile?  I'm still stuck in the streaming realm for content but Finding Tidals Hifi to be a pretty good solution for the cost. 

Still need to invest in a music library for myself but I've just gotten into audiophile stuff this year! 

On 5/29/2017 at 11:27 AM, EinZerstorer said:

Are you big into vinyl?  

Maybe,,,

IMG_1208.thumb.JPG.7a40da83da75de117aea9926f0038b61.JPG

That's roughly 200 records, and those are just the ones waiting to be digitized. My entire record collection contains betweem 1400 and 1500 records and singles. 

Finding it to be worthwhile?

Depends on what you mean with "worthwhile". 

Monetarily it's a black hole with no end in sight. Just like anything else audio related.

But as with other things audio related it's a really fun hobby. It's like Pokémon cards, but just really, really expensive. 

I'm still stuck in the streaming realm for content but Finding Tidals Hifi to be a pretty good solution for the cost. 

Still need to invest in a music library for myself but I've just gotten into audiophile stuff this year! 

Honestly, just stick with what works for you. 

I'm not one to preach about the great advantages of one format over another, or the advantages of one way of consuming music over another. 

Really the magni introduces volume control and pre outs into the set up, that alone is worth it.  Not to mention they can drive pretty much anything. 

Running rca out off of the modi leaves it down to windows sound for volume....

Using software volume control does two things.

One, it doesn't change the output signal voltage of the source, output voltage is constant.

Two... it actually reduces the signal.  it reduces the waveform by removing bits to digitally control the volume level...

21 hours ago, EinZerstorer said:

Really the magni introduces volume control and pre outs into the set up, that alone is worth it.  Not to mention they can drive pretty much anything. 

Running rca out off of the modi leaves it down to windows sound for volume....

Using software volume control does two things.

One, it doesn't change the output signal voltage of the source, output voltage is constant.

Two... it actually reduces the signal.  it reduces the waveform by removing bits to digitally control the volume level...

Let me guess: You've watched the latest Z Reviews video. (I'm ruining @Dackzy's day again). 

While his explanation of how digital volume control works is correct, he does leave out a very important detail. Why is it necessarily a bad thing to reduce the bit depth in order to control the volume?

What bit depth does is determin the dynamic range a digital audio file is allowed to have. 

The 16 bit files on your computer will allow for 96db of dynamic range. Considering the dynamic range of most digital music, you can safely chop away at the bit depth without sacrificing the dynamic range of the audio file. 

So yes, in theory it is better to control the signal power, but in most practical applcations it doesn't matter if you use a pre-amp or Windows to control the volume. 

Also, if I remember correctly the LSR305s do have a volume knop of their own. You can also buy passive pre-amps that would be a lot cheaper than a Magni 2. 

But anyway, this conversation is pretty void considering it was based on a whether or not you had any headphones to plug into the Magni 2.

41 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Let me guess: You've watched the latest Z Reviews video.

let me prepare the perfect response 

noo.gif.1cf8f1cd52b92c142ce8df9cafeac352.gif

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

8 hours ago, Volbet said:

Also, if I remember correctly the LSR305s do have a volume knob of their own.

I will personally murder anyone who thinks its okay to control a studio monitor's volume by going round to the back and turning their individual volume knobs.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

8 hours ago, Dackzy said:

let me prepare the perfect response 

noo.gif.1cf8f1cd52b92c142ce8df9cafeac352.gif

About Z-reviews, well, props to the guy for ruining his fortune on headphones, speakers and other related gizmos. He spent his fortune and gave his honest impressions so that we don't have to ruin ourselves. He's like the (ill-informed) martyr of this snake oil audio world. And sadly, his reviews aren't detailed enough and he spends most of his time talking about pads or wires. Yes, pads and wires. He's kinda like the equivalent of a frat-boy at a fine-whisky tasting club. On the opposite side of the snake oil audio world, you have Innerfidelity with his overly technical reviews. This guy will bore you to death with frequency response curves and will judge a headphone by a graph. A graph. He'll never give you a concise honest review.  

If I spent my entire fortune on audio equipment, I would probably be like Zeos. I know what I like and what I don't like. But I can't really describe you why. And it really depends on my mood. Long, non-detachable wires annoy me to no end. You know you'll have to trash the headphones someday because the audio jack will bend and loosen up. And uncomfortable headphones belong to the landfill. Yup, Zeos and I are on the same page. 

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

About Z-reviews, well, props to the guy for ruining his fortune on headphones, speakers and other related gizmos. He spent his fortune and gave his honest impressions so that we don't have to ruin ourselves. He's like the (ill-informed) martyr of this snake oil audio world. And sadly, his reviews aren't detailed enough and he spends most of his time talking about pads or wires. Yes, pads and wires. He's kinda like the equivalent of a frat-boy at a fine-whisky tasting club. On the opposite side of the snake oil audio world, you have Innerfidelity with his overly technical reviews. This guy will bore you to death with frequency response curves and will judge a headphone by a graph. A graph. He'll never give you a concise honest review.  

If I spent my entire fortune on audio equipment, I would probably be like Zeos. I know what I like and what I don't like. But I can't really describe you why. And it really depends on my mood. Long, non-detachable wires annoy me to no end. You know you'll have to trash the headphones someday because the audio jack will bend and loosen up. And uncomfortable headphones belong to the landfill. Yup, Zeos and I are on the same page. 

Zeos has no idea of what he is talking about, he just let's out a bunch of BS and hopes for the best.

The biggest problem with this guy is that he never likes the same thing, in one review he loves treble, in the next he hates treble and OFC he is probably deaf. He calls headphones that have a 12dB bass boost for boring and neutral.

His job as a reviewer is to actual review things, going on a 20 min rable about the pads on a headphone is not going to tell you if you would like a headphone or not, it is fine that he talks about pads and headbands, but FFS then also just talk about the audio other than the usual "these are good, because they are" or "I can't describe the sound, but it is just so good". Plus after calling a pair of Shure 1540's for neutral and boring, you should take his hearing as a joke. It is not like it is painfully obvious where he damaged his ears, oh wait it is. He blasts away with his music, so no wonder he can't hear well.

Then we also have the shitty low quality videos he makes. Slap a GoPro on your head and you have the same quality as he has, if not better since new GoPro models are out now.

Also you do know that Zeos uses amazon affiliate links, right? Sure he might have spend quite a bit of his own money in the start, but that means jack shit, because a lot of people who are into audio spends quite a bit on their gear. Now he get send a lot of gear both by private people and companies and if there really is something his patreon people wants he uses the money the gets via that and remember now he also often sells that gear again. Then we also have his YouTube money and amazon money, which from we can see earns him enough money to eat well, live well and buy somewhat expensive things, that are purely for private usage.

I would only use zeos for pad and headband info, I cannot tale anything he says about audio seriously and his reviews are basically just pad and headband reviews.

Have you seen dms3tv? He makes short videos, that actually has facts behind them. Is he perfect? No, but he is a lot better than zeos.

If I ever started a YouTube channel it would be a lot like dms3tv, maybe just a bit longer to dive into the sound a bit more.

4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Since when did Zeos spend his fucking "fortune" on audio? He has a job and a home and he gets sent crap all the time to review from shitwits on r/headphones. Get real.

As for Tyll Hertsens, I've yet to find a more "honest" reviewer. More blunt, perhaps. Also, Tyll does not judge headphones on a graph. He draws correlations between what he hears and what he measures. To think otherwise is to deliberately misinterpret and characterize what innerfidelity is about.

I see that I've started something. Sorry, not sorry.

10 hours ago, Pomfinator said:

I will personally murder anyone who thinks its okay to control a studio monitor's volume by going round to the back and turning their individual volume knobs.

Understandable.

I remembered the volume know as being on the sides of the monitors, not the back.

On 5/30/2017 at 10:14 AM, Volbet said:

Let me guess: You've watched the latest Z Reviews video. (I'm ruining @Dackzy's day again). 

While his explanation of how digital volume control works is correct, he does leave out a very important detail. Why is it necessarily a bad thing to reduce the bit depth in order to control the volume?

What bit depth does is determin the dynamic range a digital audio file is allowed to have. 

The 16 bit files on your computer will allow for 96db of dynamic range. Considering the dynamic range of most digital music, you can safely chop away at the bit depth without sacrificing the dynamic range of the audio file. 

So yes, in theory it is better to control the signal power, but in most practical applcations it doesn't matter if you use a pre-amp or Windows to control the volume. 

Also, if I remember correctly the LSR305s do have a volume knop of their own. You can also buy passive pre-amps that would be a lot cheaper than a Magni 2. 

But anyway, this conversation is pretty void considering it was based on a whether or not you had any headphones to plug into the Magni 2.

You try REALLY hard to be smart but it doesn't work.

I have almost everything in 24 / 196 and 32 / 196 straight out of our recording studio I work with and listen to at home.

So strike 1.

Also my entire collection is lossless 24 / 96 or 192.

Strike 2.

And thirdly, No one,

Absolutely No one should be using the Gain attenuation on their powered monitor for volume control....... what the fuck. 

On 5/30/2017 at 11:37 PM, Dackzy said:

Zeos has no idea of what he is talking about, he just let's out a bunch of BS and hopes for the best.

The biggest problem with this guy is that he never likes the same thing, in one review he loves treble, in the next he hates treble and OFC he is probably deaf. He calls headphones that have a 12dB bass boost for boring and neutral.

His job as a reviewer is to actual review things, going on a 20 min rable about the pads on a headphone is not going to tell you if you would like a headphone or not, it is fine that he talks about pads and headbands, but FFS then also just talk about the audio other than the usual "these are good, because they are" or "I can't describe the sound, but it is just so good". Plus after calling a pair of Shure 1540's for neutral and boring, you should take his hearing as a joke. It is not like it is painfully obvious where he damaged his ears, oh wait it is. He blasts away with his music, so no wonder he can't hear well.

Then we also have the shitty low quality videos he makes. Slap a GoPro on your head and you have the same quality as he has, if not better since new GoPro models are out now.

Also you do know that Zeos uses amazon affiliate links, right? Sure he might have spend quite a bit of his own money in the start, but that means jack shit, because a lot of people who are into audio spends quite a bit on their gear. Now he get send a lot of gear both by private people and companies and if there really is something his patreon people wants he uses the money the gets via that and remember now he also often sells that gear again. Then we also have his YouTube money and amazon money, which from we can see earns him enough money to eat well, live well and buy somewhat expensive things, that are purely for private usage.

I would only use zeos for pad and headband info, I cannot tale anything he says about audio seriously and his reviews are basically just pad and headband reviews.

Have you seen dms3tv? He makes short videos, that actually has facts behind them. Is he perfect? No, but he is a lot better than zeos.

If I ever started a YouTube channel it would be a lot like dms3tv, maybe just a bit longer to dive into the sound a bit more.

You do realize z has high level aspergers or possibly full autism right?  Dudes doing the best he can with what he has, but I don't watch his shit.  I just know how digital audio works, see my hobby, and side profession is a professional drummer and I work with studio recordings constantly.  This is just my first step into a " hi fi. " set up for home, Jbl's won out over the Yamaha's and are a placeholder till I get to bring the Genelec's home.   =D 

4 minutes ago, EinZerstorer said:

You do realize z has high level aspergers or possibly full autism right?  Dudes doing the best he can with what he has, but I don't watch his shit.  I just know how digital audio works, see my hobby, and side profession is a professional drummer and I work with studio recordings constantly.  This is just my first step into a " hi fi. " set up for home, Jbl's won out over the Yamaha's and are a placeholder till I get to bring the Genelec's home.   =D 

wait what? How do you know that or are you just guessing?

The LSR 305's are mighty fine studio monitors for their price. I was close to buying them, but I really need front ported or closed speakers for my own setup. You can see my setup below, the only thing that has changed is that I got a big ass DAC on top of the receiver.

Spoiler

WP_20170114_15_00_15_Rich.thumb.jpg.f12e49228dfb69db38a9770cb6f21402.jpg

What Genelec monitors?

25 minutes ago, EinZerstorer said:

You do realize z has high level aspergers or possibly full autism right?

Not sure what this has to do with the quality of his content.

5 hours ago, EinZerstorer said:

You try REALLY hard to be smart but it doesn't work.

Well, this escalated quickly....

If you think I'm wrong then please correct me. 

I always want people to correct me, since that's how we tend to learn, but don't be demeaning and try to make an actual respons. 

No one learns anything if you just argue from a point of assumed authority.

I have said absolutly nothing that warrants a respons like that. I never was demeaning to you nor did I try to discredit anyhting you were saying, and I certainly didn't comment on what kind of audio you were listning to nor did I comment on the quality or source of said audio. 

Lastly, if you're listning exclusivly to 24bit audio files then using digital volume control is even less of an issue than it would be with a 16bit file. 

5 hours ago, EinZerstorer said:

And thirdly, No one,

Absolutely No one should be using the Gain attenuation on their powered monitor for volume control....... what the fuck. 

Why?

Also, on what basis do you assume it's a "Gain attenuation" knop? According to the owner's  manuel it's a volume knop.

I can see it as being very inconvenient to use, but there's nothing actually wrong with what I said.  

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

wait what? How do you know that or are you just guessing?

The LSR 305's are mighty fine studio monitors for their price. I was close to buying them, but I really need front ported or closed speakers for my own setup. You can see my setup below, the only thing that has changed is that I got a big ass DAC on top of the receiver.

Reveal hidden contents

WP_20170114_15_00_15_Rich.thumb.jpg.f12e49228dfb69db38a9770cb6f21402.jpg

Why front ported?

Just now, elira said:

Why front ported?

too close to the wall. if I got backported and placed them so close to the wall then the bass response would change for the worse, I would need to move my speakers another 20-30cm away from the wall. Plus if you look on the right of the picture you can see the edge of a screen there is a tall cabinet behind that screen so the air would just go into this air "box".

I could just set a crossover at about 100-120Hz and let my sub be the only one that does those frequencies and down that would then eliminate the need for front ported, but a receiver that can do that while having the other things that my R-N500 has, would cost about twice the price of my R-N500, if not more. Plus later this year I won't be forced to place my speakers so close to the wall, so I didn't see the value in getting a receiver that went for twice what I paid for my R-N500.