Multiplier Bug found on MSI x370 Sli plus Bios

Just found a bug on the latest versions of the bios for my msi x370 sli plus bios. This affects versions 3.2 and up on the bios. The bug involves setting the multiplier in the bios. When a manual multiplier is set it will require the actual frequency and not the multiplier itself. So if you entered 3700 into the multiplier box it would put in a multiplier of 37 or a ~3700mhz clock speed. However, if you input 37 into the box it would display 3700 when you press enter and would show up as having a clock speed of 3700mhz in the os and the bios, but this would be incorrect. I think it would believe you are requesting a clock speed of just 37mhz and set the multiplier as low as the board supports to match your request which on my board is 15.5 or a 1550mhz clock speed even though it is displaying otherwise. This bug will become apparent if you use a monitoring program like cpu-z or ryzen master which will display the correct clock speed and multiplier of the board. This may not be a very bad bug as it can be solved by filling out all 4 multiplier numbers in the box before pressing enter, but can be frustrating nonetheless. Right now I can only confirm that this affects the x370 sli bios, but I have read of other people with b350 motherboards from msi having similar issues. If you have an msi motherboard you should probably check to see if it is effected. I do not know if this is already known and being fixed or not. Please let me know if it is.

Edited by combine1237
grammar

Intel have run good job making overclocking super easy. You just put in frequency/multiplier, it increases also memory controller speed and other things.

Weird, I have this same issue, and I have been putting all 4 numbers in the correct slot. 

You keeping your chip at stock voltage at 3.7?

19 minutes ago, Weyburn said:

Weird, I have this same issue, and I have been putting all 4 numbers in the correct slot. 

You keeping your chip at stock voltage at 3.7?

Nope, I will am using 1.28vcore and my stock is 1.212vcore at 3.7 ghz with the stock cooler. Try the 3.1 bios if you can't figure it out.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-SLI-PLUS.html#down-bios

I tried the newest one then reflashed to the second newest and still got a the same issue. 

It's really a shame cuz it seems like a quality board and I really like the bios setup.

But I'll try it out when I get back home and let you know 

21 hours ago, Gameborn said:

You just put in frequency/multiplier, it increases also memory controller speed and other things.

A) The multiplier only affects CPU frequency.

B) Exactly how it works on current and last gen AMD platforms as well.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

yea same issue with the 3.3 and 3.2, 3.1 multiplier works fine for me. kinda stupid but i still complained to MSI.

manually inputting hte numbers or using +/- still causes the same issue. but I'm fine with sticking to 3.1, I'm sure it overclocks just as well lol.

Kind of off-topic, but I'm kinda new to OC'ing, and I was wondering how you're fairing with this mobo?  How much tweeking have you been doing in the BIOs?

8 hours ago, Weyburn said:

Kind of off-topic, but I'm kinda new to OC'ing, and I was wondering how you're fairing with this mobo?  How much tweeking have you been doing in the BIOs?

Not much tweaking just adjusting vcore and northbridge, turning off turbo, and setting it to 3.7 as I am using the stock cooler.

On 5/27/2017 at 11:26 PM, combine1237 said:

Not much tweaking just adjusting vcore and northbridge, turning off turbo, and setting it to 3.7 as I am using the stock cooler.

what/where is northbridge on the bios?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I hit this bug in the latest version of the BIOS on ASUS STRIX X370-F (version 0813).

Interesting for sure. I just reverted back to Auto and used Ryzen Master and BOOM it works fine.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

On 26. 5. 2017 at 6:58 AM, combine1237 said:

Just found a bug on the latest versions of the bios for my msi x370 sli plus bios. This affects versions 3.2 and up on the bios. The bug involves setting the multiplier in the bios. When a manual multiplier is set it will require the actual frequency and not the multiplier itself. So if you entered 3700 into the multiplier box it would put in a multiplier of 37 or a ~3700mhz clock speed. However, if you input 37 into the box it would display 3700 when you press enter and would show up as having a clock speed of 3700mhz in the os and the bios, but this would be incorrect. I think it would believe you are requesting a clock speed of just 37mhz and set the multiplier as low as the board supports to match your request which on my board is 15.5 or a 1550mhz clock speed even though it is displaying otherwise. This bug will become apparent if you use a monitoring program like cpu-z or ryzen master which will display the correct clock speed and multiplier of the board. This may not be a very bad bug as it can be solved by filling out all 4 multiplier numbers in the box before pressing enter, but can be frustrating nonetheless. Right now I can only confirm that this affects the x370 sli bios, but I have read of other people with b350 motherboards from msi having similar issues. If you have an msi motherboard you should probably check to see if it is effected. I do not know if this is already known and being fixed or not. Please let me know if it is.

MSI mobos are trash, this bug is known on them.

@Technicolors

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM