Project Velvet: Node 202 ultimate watercooling

Hello everyone,

Since I loved Challenges, I use to build a new project: Max power in tiniest place possible, ........ and watercooled !!

I use to work with a Fractal Design Node 202, so quite challenging

After few weeks, here it is

-i7 4790K

-MSI Z97I

-GTX 1080 FE

-16Go DDR3 1866MHz

-Samsung 850 pro 512Go

-Corsair SF600

The radiator is an EK SE 240 (only this one fit in the 2*120 Gpu emplacements) mounted by 2 Scythe 12mm, By the way, I get 8mm between fans and GPU !!

I use a DDC pump 3.5 PWM,, which work a 50% load to prevent heat 

The biggest problem for me was to not exceed 50-55°C for the liquid which can be damaged

Solid tubing is made of Cabon by Alphacool, a good way to prevent deformation due to possible high heat

No reservoir... place is missing

After 3 hours on Battlefield 1 @ 3440x1400 on my amazing Pg348q ^ 100Hz I use to get 80°C on CPU and 70°C on GPU (ouch)

I tweak some power limits on EVGA precision X OC software, then Gpu dont exceed 65°C, and CPU is blocked to 73°C (Liquid around 50°C)

As I expected, this is a small beast: framerate around 75 on the Pg348q, and around 120fps on a BenQ XL2411 @ 1920x1080 , settings on Ultra (no compromise ;) )

Tell me what are you thinking about!

Thanks

_MG_4427.JPG

_MG_4431.JPG

_MG_4434.JPG

Wow I wouldn't do that

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Damn, looks great :) mind showing some more pics of the inside?

also don't forget to quote others so that they get notifications

2 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Damn, looks great :) mind showing some more pics of the inside?

also don't forget to quote others so that they get notifications

Thanks! I will post more pics this week end, I've got few from the build log too!

2 hours ago, cdsboy2000 said:

mind showing some more pics of the inside?

+1 for this. Very much interested in the rest of the internals. I keep toying with moving from the R9 Nano to a 1080 in my 202, but not sure if it's worth the hassle.

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

5 hours ago, SonoDanshi said:

+1 for this. Very much interested in the rest of the internals. I keep toying with moving from the R9 Nano to a 1080 in my 202, but not sure if it's worth the hassle.

I saw your built few month ago, and it's amazing!! 

the 1080 give me a bit too much TDP add to the i7( I expected it). I use to choose 2000rpm Scythe to increase power cooling of the EK Rad at avarage 330W 350W

But another 120 rad can't fit, so I reduce power limit.

Your setup dont have the problem I think

2 hours ago, ElkossComb said:

I saw your built few month ago, and it's amazing!! 

the 1080 give me a bit too much TDP add to the i7( I expected it). I use to choose 2000rpm Scythe to increase power cooling of the EK Rad at avarage 330W 350W

But another 120 rad can't fit, so I reduce power limit.

Your setup dont have the problem I think

Thanks for the kind words. And yes the 240 rad seems to be quite well balanced for the hardware I have in there right now. But I'm always looking to push things a bit more ;)

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

I DEMAND MORE PICTURES

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

First shoot to hardtubes. Carbon is specific to work with, cutting it without damages fibers take times.

20170518_014403.jpg

20170518_014413.jpg

20170518_014419.jpg

20170518_014413.jpg

20170526_112501.jpg

I will change stock psu cable with some custom made, and rewire other with some sleeving work... maybe remove the Acrylic tube to carbon.. I intended it to check flow and potential air in the loop.

20170526_112513.jpg

20170526_112522.jpg

20170526_112526.jpg

20170526_112531.jpg

20170526_112547.jpg

I would have gone with copper or other metal tubes, as it would have added some extra surface for heat to escape.

Normally so would it not matter, but for a small build like this, so could you gain a few degrees.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

I really like the tube paths you've taken - very clean. What pump did you choose? I really don't like the Koolance one in mine. It's a shame about cutting into the top of the case though, with access to a CNC you could have mimicked the cut-outs over the CPU to allow for airflow.

11 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

I would have gone with copper or other metal tubes, as it would have added some extra surface for heat to escape.

Normally so would it not matter, but for a small build like this, so could you gain a few degrees.

I was thinking about it, in fact I think it will give me 2-3 degrees less, but I was already on carbon which I wanted tu put in on of my rig since a long time ago! 

12 minutes ago, SonoDanshi said:

I really like the tube paths you've taken - very clean. What pump did you choose? I really don't like the Koolance one in mine. It's a shame about cutting into the top of the case though, with access to a CNC you could have mimicked the cut-outs over the CPU to allow for airflow.

Thanks! The pump is a Laing DDC 305 PWM with an EK top, I worried about the max temperature acceptable for this pump so This one give me opportunity to fit perfectly and gave me access to the rad by a 2x45° EK adapter. It's fixed by some rubber on the chassis. I cant hear it even at 100%. The principal issue of it is fan noise (This Z97 cant modulate 3pin fan), I use to buy a PWM to 3Pin adaptater from Phobya to make them dynamic 

About the Top I'm planning to replace it by a Black Delrin place properly cut of by a friend who get a CNC (lucky guy)

I have to open this side because of the airflow anyway

• 1 year later...

Seems like you can fit 25mm thick fan between the gpu and rad. It looks the clearance is almost 25mm. I have a 202 case as well and I'm going to watercool it, too(softline)

You

On 16/06/2018 at 8:27 AM, sillypenguin213 said:

Seems like you can fit 25mm thick fan between the gpu and rad. It looks the clearance is almost 25mm. I have a 202 case as well and I'm going to watercool it, too(softline)

You might be able to, but then the clearance would be to small for the fan to actually pull any air through it.