Decreasing Fps in Ark but no throttling?

After leaving my computer running ark for a few hours the fps drops from 40ish to 20ish. My gpu is always within 30mhz of the boost speed, the cpu is at steady 3.5ghz, vram at 3.5gb of 4 and ram at about 6/7gb used of my 8gb. It looks like its thermal throttling but nothing seems to be actually throttling? My only indicator is that gpu load sometimes goes to 0% during a freezeup, but cpu stays at 40% and ram at 6 or 7 gb so i dont know what would be causing it. Any ideas? 

3 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

i dont know what would be causing it. Any ideas? 

ark is a very poorly made game, not even my PC can play it properly, you can turn down the settings. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

ark is a very poorly made game, not even my PC can play it properly, you can turn down the settings. 

Thats not the thing. I have quite low settings and it runs at 40-60 for a few hours. Its just when i come back to it its at 20ish. Also its not poorly made just poorly optimised, it has good content and gameplay IMO

5 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

I have quite low settings and it runs at 40-60

you can play GTA 5 at higher settings and resolution than ark. 

Its just when i come back to it its at 20ish

restart your PC

Also its not poorly made just poorly optimised,

yes, the devs keep taking money without properly optimizing it, even for other platforms, look at how big of a mess ps4/xbox versions are. 

Ark has memory leaking issues out of many other optimization issues, make sure you have at least 12gb of pagefile enable.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

you can play GTA 5 at higher settings and resolution than ark. 

restart your PC

yes, the devs keep taking money without properly optimizing it for other platforms, look at how big of a mess ps4/xbox versions are. 

I won't defend them for that but they do seem to actually care more than some devs, given that they generally stick to what they promise. Optimization would be nice but i enjoy the game anyhoo. Im not here for an argument about wildcard studios business practices 

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Ark has memory leaking issues out of many other optimization issues, make sure you have at least 12gb of pagefile enable.

Ok. That makes more sense than what i was thinking 

@Ethan Meskin I'm gonna guess that they're going to optimize it soon (hopefully) since they released Ascension.

4 minutes ago, Storm10 said:

@Ethan Meskin I'm gonna guess that they're going to optimize it soon (hopefully) since they released Ascension.

Yeah. Thats meant to be in the next patch. You play? Also nice graphics card- same as mine

Just now, Ethan Meskin said:

Yeah. Thats meant to be in the next patch. You play? Also nice graphics card- same as mine

Yes and thanks.

27 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

Also its not poorly made just poorly optimised,

it is not a root, it is a carrot.

--

that said, my bet is that one of the many glorious bugs in ark is clogging up *something* (memory leak style) that reduces the speed things run at. i've given up figuring out why people lag on ark, there's too much wrong to even bother how to make things right.

ark is the first place in history where i've encountered vertical tearing lines, they have somehow managed to do such a terrible job of making a game that having a default executable name (shootergame.exe -- much shooting happening) and a default "replace me" copyright footer are just mere details at the start of an endless journey with more depth than the game itself.

21 hours ago, manikyath said:

it is not a root, it is a carrot.

--

that said, my bet is that one of the many glorious bugs in ark is clogging up *something* (memory leak style) that reduces the speed things run at. i've given up figuring out why people lag on ark, there's too much wrong to even bother how to make things right.

ark is the first place in history where i've encountered vertical tearing lines, they have somehow managed to do such a terrible job of making a game that having a default executable name (shootergame.exe -- much shooting happening) and a default "replace me" copyright footer are just mere details at the start of an endless journey with more depth than the game itself.

i meant content wise but i get what you mean. i got the game on sale for £7 and i dont regret it, even with the current state. it is a bit BS that its out for consoles with DLC tho

Just now, Ethan Meskin said:

i meant content wise but i get what you mean. i got the game on sale for £7 and i dont regret it, even with the current state. it is a bit BS that its out for consoles with DLC tho

my biggest issue with the game is the pay2win DLC, because quite simply put, due to the ability of transfering over items between servers, you pay for the DLC, you destroy anyone who didnt pay for the DLC.

it seems like the longer, the more shallow and moneygrabby the devs become, to which i should at that historic events point out that it may as well have been a quick cashgrab from the start.

Just now, manikyath said:

my biggest issue with the game is the pay2win DLC, because quite simply put, due to the ability of transfering over items between servers, you pay for the DLC, you destroy anyone who didnt pay for the DLC.

it seems like the longer, the more shallow and moneygrabby the devs become, to which i should at that historic events point out that it may as well have been a quick cashgrab from the start.

i mostly play singleplayer/pve so i dont really care that much, but from what i have seen the DLC dinos and gear is quite balanced with the original game, top tier SE dinos are on par with top tier base game.