Asking for watercooling tips

Hey guys, I SLI 2 MSI GTX 1080s and have an i7 6700K I want to start watercooling everything because my PC is a bit hot sometimes. But I've never done it and I'm a bit scared, so I decided to ask you guys instead of possibly messing up. So, anyone know of any good watercooling items for a CPU and 2 GPUs? Again I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to this.

4 minutes ago, Matgarciaz said:

Hey guys, I SLI 2 MSI GTX 1080s and have an i7 6700K I want to start watercooling everything because my PC is a bit hot sometimes. But I've never done it and I'm a bit scared, so I decided to ask you guys instead of possibly messing up. So, anyone know of any good watercooling items for a CPU and 2 GPUs? Again I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to this.

If you want to do custom watercooling I would suggest to look into it first to see if it's something you want to invest in. Here are some good starting tips

Just note that a dual GPU custom loop with a CPU is going to start at around $600USD. 

if you choose to do a custom loop ekwb.com has a loop configurator, plug in your parts info and select a few options and they put together a parts list for you, even if you don't buy from them it's a convenient quick way to get a list together of what you need and want. Also remember to install a drain port at the lowest point in the loop, makes maintenance easier

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

The first thing you need is money, like $500+ for all the parts, because if you cheap out then your PC will probably die.

Second is to do a lot of research until you learn everything.

Here are some good videos to start with:

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Cool, thanks guys for the tips. Looking for more research to figure out where to start. Can you use any case? I have a DIYPC Gamemax white case. Idk if its compatible. I don't think it is.

9 minutes ago, Matgarciaz said:

Cool, thanks guys for the tips. Looking for more research to figure out where to start. Can you use any case? I have a DIYPC Gamemax white case. Idk if its compatible. I don't think it is.

While you can it's not the best suited for that application as most cases that are watercooling compatible have large spaces, 360mm or 240mm locations for mounting rads. 

12 minutes ago, W-L said:

While you can it's not the best suited for that application as most cases that are watercooling compatible have large spaces, 360mm or 240mm locations for mounting rads. 

Okay cool, damn looks like i'll have to change my case. No biggy

Just now, Matgarciaz said:

Okay cool, damn looks like i'll have to change my case. No biggy

There are a lot of options depending on the design and look you are going for, cases like the Define S, Corsair 750D, Phanteks Enthoo to name a few. 

25 minutes ago, W-L said:

There are a lot of options depending on the design and look you are going for, cases like the Define S, Corsair 750D, Phanteks Enthoo to name a few. 

Awesome, Ill look into these cases!

The Fractal Design (Define S) and the Corsair 750D are both good cases, but I don't recommend the Phanteks Enthoo.  It has poor clearance for RAM when using a top radiator and the air flow is absolutely abysmal without significant modification to the top of the case, which is unfortunate because otherwise it's one of the best designed and nicest looking cases I've ever seen. 

Another alternative if you don't mind about a thousand screw operations and a high cost is the Be Quiet Dark Base pro 900, I'm just finishing up a build and it has a TON of space, a lot of flexibility and is going to make for a super quiet build.  The only downside other than the cost (and screw operations) is that you need to plan your loop well and make sure you install things in the proper order, because if you don't you will spend a ton of time removing and re-installing things because you can't get to the screws you need.  I had to remove my front rad and 3 fans twice to add/adjust other components and I had to re-route a couple tubes because of the direction my pump was installed on their handy bracket.  Also, not all reservoirs will mount to the back wall... and I didn't realize the one I picked wouldn't, so I had to get creative and it worked but not ideally... so check compatibility before you start.

In retrospect it's going to look (and sound) amazing... but I'd almost go with another 750D (what my last build was in) if I were making the decision today.  It was an amazing case to build in, looks and sounds great and had none of the issues with build access I had with the new case.  If Corsair offered it with a tempered glass side panel it would have been a no brainer, so come on Corsair!