OpenCL 2.2 is up

source: https://www.khronos.org/opencl/

opencl_logo_verysmall-320x120.jpg

OpenCL 2.2 brings the OpenCL C++ kernel language into the core specification for significantly enhanced parallel programming productivity:

• OpenCL C++ kernel language is a static subset of the C++14 standard and includes classes, templates, lambda expressions, function overloads and many other constructs for generic and meta-programming
  • Leverages the new Khronos SPIR-V™2 intermediate language which fully supports the OpenCL C++ kernel language
  • OpenCL library functions can now take advantage of the C++ language to provide increased safety and reduced undefined behavior while accessing features such as atomics, iterators, images, samplers, pipes, and device queue built-in types and address spaces
  • Pipe storage is new device-side type in OpenCL 2.2 that is useful for FPGA implementations by making connectivity size and type known at compile time, enabling efficient device-scope communication between kernels
  • OpenCL 2.2 also includes features for enhanced optimization of generated code: applications can provide the value of specialization constant at SPIR-V compilation time, a new query can detect non-trivial constructors and destructors of program scope global objects, and user callbacks can be set at program release time

despite it's name, OpenCL is not an open source standard

OpenCL was created by Apple in 2009 and handed to the Khronos Group to maintain it - the standard is open, it means that licenced HW and SW manufacturers can forward proposals to add to the existing standard or propose features for a new version

the Khronos Group, for the 1st time, has also released the source code on GitHub to allow manufacturers to fully test their implementation https://github.com/KhronosGroup

Will current hardware support it or no? 

Though i realize there may be no answer to that yet... 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

30 minutes ago, Granular said:

Wait, OpenCL wasn't Open source? That's fucked up.

OpenGL is Open source

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

7 hours ago, Xsilent(X) said:

OpenGL is Open source

Exactly this, likely due to how tired I am today, when I first saw this thread I misread opencl as opengl and was very confused as I a version of opengl which was greater than 2.2. (I think it was 3.something)

8 hours ago, Granular said:

Wait, OpenCL wasn't Open source? That's fucked up.

i remember a video talking about how open and closed source works on a legal scale, i don't remember what it was called but it had a cat with sausages around it's neck as the example

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!