How to use OGSSAA?

slayerming2

So I got a new pc with a monitor with 1440p. Thing is for a lot of games there's an excess of frame rate. So I was hoping to follow this method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTszNDyuAhg

to improve visual quality.

So in the "create custom resolution" after entering in the 4k resolution I press Test, and it doesn't say error or anything but the screen goes black as it should, but then it brings me back to the normal screen, and nothing changed? Not sure what to do??

Maybe check out those forum posts that Luke mentions at the end? I remember trying this back when the video was released, and it not looking that good, and never bothering with it again.

Can't you just use DSR? I know it's not a direct answer to your question, but a good alternative.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

25 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

Can't you just use DSR? I know it's not a direct answer to your question, but a good alternative.

Have never heard of that. What's the difference
?

13 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

?

If you're using an nvidia card you can enable dsr in the manage 3d settings of the nvidia control panel.
It just downsamples the game you are playing. Example, if you have a 1080p monitor, you could set the in-game resolution to 4k and it would simply dowsample it or what ever it's called.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

44 minutes ago, slayerming2 said:

?

DSR is based on monitor native resolution.
It's easier to set + has a feature to blur any weirdness visible caused by using non-native resolution and downsampling.
Main flaw of it, are fixed multiplications of native resolution (like x1.25, x1.33, x1.5, x2.0, x3.0, x4.0), that are limited to apect ratio of the monitor itself (example : DSR on 16:10 or 4:3 native screen can't set 16:9 DSR resolutions required for You Tube).

Classic downsampling (setting manual resolution in driver), allows for any resolution to be set with any refresh you want.
It's range is limited only by monitor itself.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

OGSSAA is most commonly set via drivers using Inspector. It uses a 2x1, 1x2, 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4 grid. Only problem is it doesn't work in DX10/11/12. See http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357956 for more info.

Depending on your monitor, you can set custom resolutions in the NVCP resolution menu. This is technically the same as OGSSAA, but referred to as "downsampling" to avoid confusion between the two. This method doesn't require as much legwork as the above method, but can still require some trial and error since different monitors may require different settings. I've found that with my 144Hz monitor, setting the display's refresh to 60Hz prior to setting the custom resolution values is ideal, otherwise the custom settings generally doesn't post. Note, you probably won't be able to go above 3840x2160 unless you drop your refresh rate from 60Hz down to something lower. The LTT vid posted earlier is a good place to start, but this thread here http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346325 has a lot more info with many users posting various settings that might prove conductive to your setup.

Using DSR is generally easier and allows you to keep your 120/144Hz refresh (if your monitor supports that), but doesn't give any flexibility with custom aspect ratios, and IMHO doesn't look as good as the NVCP custom resolution method. If you're aiming to go above 4k, above 60Hz, or your screen simply won't downsample using custom resolutions, then enabling DSR through your global 3d settings in NVCP would be quite beneficial.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H