Home based Server Project

Good evening fellas, I need help with a project. I'm about to put together a relatively cheap computer that will act as a Server/NAS to transfer and access files when I'm away from home and a LAN server to hook up 3 of my computers that I currently have in my home so I can transfer files between them, access my desktop from outside the house and if possible (it depends on the hardware I will use) make a LAN server for light video gaming with friends in the future. I am quite then noob when it comes to servers and how to build one other than putting the hardware together and downloading a free server OS. My question is, what will I need to set up all the network properties of my project, for example, i want to put this server in a room where I have one of my desktops, currently occupying the only ethernet socket in the room. what do I need to connect the server with my desktop and both of them on the internet? I was thinking maybe a router or a network controller or something similar that will work for my setup.

All bits of advice are welcome, thank you in advance.

P.S I know using a cloud would probably be easier for me but I have a brother who does photo editing all the time so this server will sometimes act as storage for him as well. 

P.P.S I also love computers and I'm currently trying to broaden my knowledge on them, so I think it's a good project to get into it overall.

It sounds is if you are wanting to do many things with this server. You will want to start looking into Virtualisation, I would suggest ESXi for your Host OS... bit of a learning curve but isint that the point? :D From there you can look into a simple Windows (or Linux) OS for your file shares for the NAS element and have a VPN VM set up for accessing it from the Internet. Expect to spend days/weeks on getting things working but thats how you learn.

Get yourself a cheap switch (managed) little Netgear 4 port will be fine and connect your server and your PC to it and then the cable from the wall, will work fine. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

thanks for replying. my budget will be enough to make it running I'd say. currently, i have a build in mind that is around £350 / $450 plus whatever is needed for the networking part. I'm doing this project to learn more about servers and because its fun, even if it takes longer to get it running 'cause I'm still learning about it! so a prebuilt option is out.

1 minute ago, Kouk said:

thanks for replying. my budget will be enough to make it running I'd say. currently, i have a build in mind that is around £350 / $450 plus whatever is needed for the networking part. I'm doing this project to learn more about servers and because its fun, even if it takes longer to get it running 'cause I'm still learning about it! so a prebuilt option is out.

how about this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-FS12-TY-C2100-2U-LFF-CTO-CHASSIS-/251598854830?hash=item3a9475daae:g:sxsAAOSwnDZT0rUy

Its a used server, but should be more than enough. Id then install proxmox on it.

Great answer Altecice, thanks :) yes it will be a bit difficult and time-consuming but that's the idea to get into it :P 

4 minutes ago, Kouk said:

Well thats the main part, BECAUSE IT IS FUN! :). Just be sure to spec enough RAM if you do decide to go down the VM route. Also make sure (again if you decide to use ESXi) that all the parts you are using are compatible (stick to INTEL NIC's). Avoid prebuilds like Dell C510/610's they are LOUD and expensive to run. Get your feet wet first then move onto greater a bigger things!

If you do get majorly stuck just send me a PM, I will get back to you at some point.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Business-Desktop-Gigabit-Unmanaged/dp/B00HZMVTBK/ref=pd_day0_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FGX69HAJ3RHWPNSKA4HQ

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

how about this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-FS12-TY-C2100-2U-LFF-CTO-CHASSIS-/251598854830?hash=item3a9475daae:g:sxsAAOSwnDZT0rUy

Its a used server, but should be more than enough. Id then install proxmox on it.

the case/chassis is not much of a problem, i have one available atm but thanks! :)

2 minutes ago, Altecice said:

Well thats the main part, BECAUSE IT IS FUN! :). Just be sure to spec enough RAM if you do decide to go down the VM route. Also make sure (again if you decide to use ESXi) that all the parts you are using are compatible (stick to INTEL NIC's).

If you do get majorly stuck just send me a PM, I will get back to you at some point.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-Business-Desktop-Gigabit-Unmanaged/dp/B00HZMVTBK/ref=pd_day0_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FGX69HAJ3RHWPNSKA4HQ

I will, thanks again for your help! :D now that I'm off uni for the summer I will spend my time tinkering and learning which is great :P

For home usage I don't really recommend rack mounted servers as it tends to get very loud.

My suggestion for home server is just get a normal PC with good power supply according to your budget, no need to be new.

I like to install normal Windows 10 on it so I can use it as normal PC at the same time (I even install GPU on it so I can stream games from it). For any linux/other OS stuff, I install VMware inside it and set it to start on boot.

If you need RAID, probably the only safest way is install Linux and use proper software RAID to control it.

On 2017-5-12 at 7:01 PM, dlink377 said:

For home usage I don't really recommend rack mounted servers as it tends to get very loud.

My suggestion for home server is just get a normal PC with good power supply according to your budget, no need to be new.

I like to install normal Windows 10 on it so I can use it as normal PC at the same time (I even install GPU on it so I can stream games from it). For any linux/other OS stuff, I install VMware inside it and set it to start on boot.

If you need RAID, probably the only safest way is install Linux and use proper software RAID to control it.

You should give a shot at L1 Virtualisation, L2 is fine (like Vmware Fusion/VirtualBox) but can be slower and not as much fun :)... Unless your CPU/Mobo has no VT-X support?

It kinda depends if you want to go the Windows or Linux route. If you are running windows as your desktop I would suggest you start by putting heaps of ram and CPU into your desktop and using win10pro to start playing with hyper-v. Run some server installs in VMs and have a play. As a start I would suggest 2x server VMS with ad and 2x client VMS. When you are happy add a freenas into the mix and make it all work.

After that look at a build your own PC with as much ram and and CPU as you can afford.

It will also help to get a ssd for the VMS to sit on.

For cheap servers, take a look on craigslist, while most of it is crap, I was able to find an old IBM Blade for 300$ (Canadian pesos), had 16Gb ram, 2x4 cores @ 2.33 and 4 80Gb Sas drives