GTX 1080ti SLI

1 minute ago, SirBilliam said:

Ok, bro. Continue on with your delusions.

If you knew what I do for a living, you'd feel pretty silly right now.

But that isn't required, this has been fully documented. 1080ti in SLI need to be at 4k at least. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

6 minutes ago, SirBilliam said:

It has everything to do with PCI-e lanes, because that's how a GPU communicates with the CPU 

are you for real? That logic makes ZERO sense. So a i3 can run 1080ti SLI without bottlenecking? It has the lanes... Top kek m8.

The 180ti's makes too many draw calls to the 7700k at 1440p and therefore you don't get the full performance of the two GPUs.

Just because a given CPU is the best mainstream doesn't mean it can handle the (next) best mainstream GPU in SLI.

This reminds me of people that see a benchmark where there is 10 FPS difference between an i5 and i7 with the same GPU, yet they don't call it for a bottleneck...

GPUs evolve at a much faster rate than CPUs, not joking. We see what 20% jumps in performance with GPUs, while with Intel CPUs we saw 0% IPC gain with kaby over sky, only a clock boost. Now we are at a point where you actually need to OC a 7700k to like 5GHz to make it keep up with a single 1080ti.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

15 minutes ago, App4that said:

If you knew what I do for a living, you'd feel pretty silly right now.

But that isn't required, this has been fully documented. 1080ti in SLI need to be at 4k at least. 

Can you provide a source? Going off of benchmarks, there are plenty of games where the 1080ti performs in the 100-120 fps range at 1440p, so if you had a 144hz monitor than couldn't you still get benefit unless the processor is the bottleneck (which Im not sure i believe without some data)?

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

Just now, reniat said:

Can you provide a source? Going off of benchmarks, there are plenty of games where the 1080ti performs in the 100-120 fps range at 1440p, so if you had a 144hz monitor than couldn't you still get benefit unless the processor is the bottleneck (which Im not sure i believe without some data)

Sure, no problem. The 7700k has a maximum fps it can provide, obviously that's going to change depending on the game. But for the most part trying to run 2 1080ti at 1440 will cause the 7700k to be the limiting factor and affect performance. 

First video, no issues. Now check out the second when the resoluion is dropped. 

The 7700k shouldn't cause stuttering or negative scaling, regardless if its a bottleneck or not.

In a game that has a mature SLI profile, stuttering and negative scaling usually means there's something else going on under the hood.

Does the SLI system demonstrate the same issues in other SLI supported games?

If so, there could be a gpu bios/mobo bios issue, one of the cards could be faulty, the bridge could be faulty, or a driver issue.

If not, and the issue only exists in GTA V, then it could be a driver issue with the game, or an update was pushed that is somehow negatively affecting you.

Either way, I'd do a clean install of your drivers, skip GFE, and dive straight into GTA V.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

3 hours ago, App4that said:

Sure, no problem. The 7700k has a maximum fps it can provide, obviously that's going to change depending on the game. But for the most part trying to run 2 1080ti at 1440 will cause the 7700k to be the limiting factor and affect performance. 

First video, no issues. Now check out the second when the resoluion is dropped. 

I don't think that's what that video shows at all, at least not at 1440p. A definitive piece of evidence in favor of a CPU bottleneck would be more gpu power performing the same as lesser gpu power (2 cards in SLI being equivalent to 1 card, or a 1070 being on par with a 1080, etc.). You can clearly see this when he drops the resolution to 1080p, but that's not the resolution that we're discussing. If you look at the 1440p benchmark results, you'll see that SLI increased performance by about 40%.

It's POSSIBLE that the cpu is what is causing that scaling to be limited to 40% in those cases, but a far more likely cause is just the natural diminishing returns of SLI due to the game not being highly optimized for it. There has always been a high degree of variance in SLI scaling. There are many titles where you won't scale very high with SLI, and sometimes you won't get more than 30-40% increase if anything at all. This is a known drawback of SLI, but this isn't by itself an indication of the cpu bottlenecking the gpu. Also, even at 40% scaling with SLI, my point is still valid where a game running at ~100 fps with a single card would run at ~140 fps, which is nearly reaching that 144hz goal. That's not insignificant.

Tl;dr, the pieces of evidence brought to the table don't really prove your point, but i'm open to more data if you have it.

Gaming build:

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

On 2017-4-27 at 0:33 PM, Keagan554 said:

Yeah I'm sure it does. on another note do if the rise of the tomb raider does? because I disabled sli and it works fine whereas before it wouldn't even open up

When I tested RotTR does in Dx12, I don't think they bothered with it in Dx11.

4 hours ago, App4that said:

Bro, please. It's a bottleneck. 1440 is low resolution when talking about 2 1080ti. You need 4k at least, i'd run 5k. 

This isn't a debate, this isn't opinion. At 1440 the 7700k is a bottleneck and causes issues. 

...in a weird reversal of our last argument, I don't think this is a bottleneck. It's not just 1440p, it's 3440x1440 at 100 hz. That's about equivalent to 4K 60 fps. Additionally, if this were a bottleneck you'd expect SLI performance to merely be the same as single GPU, not worse.

I would recommend downloading Nvidia Inspector and trying the GTA V profile. That's my go-to whenever SLI by default seems to have issues, and it usually fixes them.

34 minutes ago, reniat said:

-snip-

^This guy knows the definition of "bottleneck". Pretty much everyone else, doesn't.

Can we all start using this word correctly? Please? I'm tired of seeing it plastered everywhere being used the wrong way.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

2 hours ago, Masada02 said:

^This guy knows the definition of "bottleneck". Pretty much everyone else, doesn't.

Can we all start using this word correctly? Please? I'm tired of seeing it plastered everywhere being used the wrong way.

This is easy, if you have a part of a system holding back the rest. That's a bottleneck. You always have a bottleneck, there is no perfect system in our hobby. I say that as a computer science major in a state brick and mortar university. Plus, what you do can mean that bottleneck moves. One minute it's one thing, the next it's another. That's what you need to know to fix shit.

I get it, the word is thrown around a lot. That doesn't mean it's not happening. 

3 hours ago, reniat said:

I don't think that's what that video shows at all, at least not at 1440p. A definitive piece of evidence in favor of a CPU bottleneck would be more gpu power performing the same as lesser gpu power (2 cards in SLI being equivalent to 1 card, or a 1070 being on par with a 1080, etc.). You can clearly see this when he drops the resolution to 1080p, but that's not the resolution that we're discussing. If you look at the 1440p benchmark results, you'll see that SLI increased performance by about 40%.

It's POSSIBLE that the cpu is what is causing that scaling to be limited to 40% in those cases, but a far more likely cause is just the natural diminishing returns of SLI due to the game not being highly optimized for it. There has always been a high degree of variance in SLI scaling. There are many titles where you won't scale very high with SLI, and sometimes you won't get more than 30-40% increase if anything at all. This is a known drawback of SLI, but this isn't by itself an indication of the cpu bottlenecking the gpu. Also, even at 40% scaling with SLI, my point is still valid where a game running at ~100 fps with a single card would run at ~140 fps, which is nearly reaching that 144hz goal. That's not insignificant.

Tl;dr, the pieces of evidence brought to the table don't really prove your point, but i'm open to more data if you have it.

Scaling in SLI increases as the resolution goes up  because the load is taken off the CPU. Run multiple SLI set ups and you'll see. The evidence does show that, as I offered the same cards running at 3 resolutions. Go back and you're see at 1080p the 1070 SLI beats the 1080 SLI, that's because of the CPU bottleneck.

2 hours ago, othertomperson said:

When I tested RotTR does in Dx12, I don't think they bothered with it in Dx11.

...in a weird reversal of our last argument, I don't think this is a bottleneck. It's not just 1440p, it's 3440x1440 at 100 hz. That's about equivalent to 4K 60 fps. Additionally, if this were a bottleneck you'd expect SLI performance to merely be the same as single GPU, not worse.

I would recommend downloading Nvidia Inspector and trying the GTA V profile. That's my go-to whenever SLI by default seems to have issues, and it usually fixes them.

For 1080 SLI, you and I agree. I only offered the 1070 and 1080 videos as they show the 3 resolutions and the 1070s overtaking the 1080s as the resolution drops. Even the single card offers better performance, a common complant. SLI requires the load to be on the graphics card. It's an absolute must. 

15 hours ago, App4that said:

Scaling in SLI increases as the resolution goes up  because the load is taken off the CPU. Run multiple SLI set ups and you'll see. The evidence does show that, as I offered the same cards running at 3 resolutions. Go back and you're see at 1080p the 1070 SLI beats the 1080 SLI, that's because of the CPU bottleneck.

Yes, at 1080p. My original comment was regarding 1440p. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure your original statement was you need 4k in order to avoid a cpu bottleneck, which is false based on your own evidence.

also, 

15 hours ago, App4that said:

I say that as a computer science major in a state brick and mortar university

this doesn't really help your argument at all. This isn't about education, it's about discussing something that can be talked about with verifiable evidence. Even if it was about education, is my having a completed computer science degree "worth" more than your in progress major? (the answer is no, because your education doesn't change what data you're bringing to the table).

Also, unrelated, but if you think that a CS degree means you automatically know what you're talking about I can't WAIT for you to hit the workforce. I've got a LOT of fantastic co-workers, but there are plenty who have CS degrees (some with masters) that are...not quite as great.

Gaming build:

Server build:

20 minutes ago, reniat said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure your original statement was you need 4k in order to avoid a cpu bottleneck, which is false based on your own evidence.

That's not entirely untrue. It really depends on the game and the settings.

The higher the resolution, the better SLI scales, since you're putting more work on the GPUs. Most of the time, this is because the CPU is the limiting factor at lower resolutions.

The below performance charts are on a 6700k @ 4.5GHz and 16GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz

perfrel_1920_1080.pngperfrel_2560_1440.pngperfrel_3840_2160.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_SLI/20.html

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

52 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

That's not entirely untrue. It really depends on the game and the settings.

The higher the resolution, the better SLI scales, since you're putting more work on the GPUs. Most of the time, this is because the CPU is the limiting factor at lower resolutions.

The below performance charts are on a 6700k @ 4.5GHz and 16GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz

perfrel_1920_1080.pngperfrel_2560_1440.pngperfrel_3840_2160.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_SLI/20.html

bam hopefully this shuts another sli haters mouth

Shame more and more games are not using SLI support this is why i got only 1 GTX 1080 ti for my 1440p monitor this time around. Ive been using SLI for the last 8 or so years now and its the first time ive decided to go with a single card this tme around. Still hitting well over 80 fps on ultra settings on the games im playing atm. No need for another card as long as my fps dont dip into the 40's im fine. 

14 minutes ago, IceCold008 said:

Shame more and more games are not using SLI support this is why i got only 1 GTX 1080 ti for my 1440p monitor this time around.

Unless you're playing games built on UE4, there's a good chance to enable SLI in a number of games by tweaking the SLI compatibility bits with Inspector. Fortunately, UE4 was recently updated to have SLI compatibility, so UE4 games should start supporting more than 1 GPU in the near future.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

On 4/29/2017 at 9:43 AM, reniat said:

Yes, at 1080p. My original comment was regarding 1440p. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure your original statement was you need 4k in order to avoid a cpu bottleneck, which is false based on your own evidence.

also, 

this doesn't really help your argument at all. This isn't about education, it's about discussing something that can be talked about with verifiable evidence. Even if it was about education, is my having a completed computer science degree "worth" more than your in progress major? (the answer is no, because your education doesn't change what data you're bringing to the table).

Also, unrelated, but if you think that a CS degree means you automatically know what you're talking about I can't WAIT for you to hit the workforce. I've got a LOT of fantastic co-workers, but there are plenty who have CS degrees (some with masters) that are...not quite as great.

I'm talking about resolution, and in general. The games the OP is talking about you'll want higher resolutions, and when talking about 1080tis you're talking about 4k cards. 

I brought up educations because this is a pain. Opinions are great if you're talking about something like your favorite game. This isn't that discussion. This is not about you winning, this is about helping the OP. Who has probably kicked themselves for wasting their time here since all they got was people arguing. 

23 minutes ago, App4that said:

this is about helping the OP. Who has probably kicked themselves for wasting their time here since all they got was people arguing. 

That tends to happen whenever someone brings up anything regarding SLI. Too many uninformed and inexperienced people circle jerking on the topic.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

On 4/27/2017 at 5:46 AM, Keagan554 said:

I thought GTA supported sli?

My gtx 580s literally didnt scale in GTA V if I had the "grass" setting on anything higher than normal. GTA V had a great SLI profile when it came out but now its highkey awful

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

4 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

My gtx 580s literally didnt scale in GTA V if I had the "grass" setting on anything higher than normal. GTA V had a great SLI profile when it came out but now its highkey awful

How, pray tell, is GTA V's SLI profile awful?

Across my SLI GTX 980, SLI GTX 1080, and now my SLI GTX 1080Ti's I've experienced nothing but good scaling in the game. Even when GTA V first released did I not see any issue with it.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

let's put this GTA V SLI misinformation to bed.

Agreed

SLI Off.txt

SLI On.txt

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler