Uggghhhh Do I Spend The Extra $200 On GSync or No? (GTX 980 w/ Freesync)

ZachsTechTurf

Hello all, I need some opinions here.

First off, it's already a BIG deal that I'm thinking about dropping $530 on an Asus MG279Q (144hz, 1440p, IPS, FreeSync) display. I'm not rich and it's already pretty ridiculous that I'm considering this much money for a monitor. Honestly I've never pushed my GTX 980 past 60hz so I'm looking to make that jump. Is spending $530 dumb when I should be spending 150-200 more for a GSync monitor? I need your opinions! And yes, I know that the monitor will still work and everything, I just won't be taking advantage of the FreeSync.

To make matters worse, I actually WOULD consider my next GPU upgrade (probably in 1-2 years, maybe Vega though?) to an AMD card so that FreeSync wouldn't be a waste. But don't let that nonsense change your answer to the above question.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, ZachsTechTurf said:

Hello all, I need some opinions here.

First off, it's already a BIG deal that I'm thinking about dropping $530 on an Asus MG279Q (144hz, 1440p, IPS, FreeSync) display. I'm not rich and it's already pretty ridiculous that I'm considering this much money for a monitor. Honestly I've never pushed my GTX 980 past 60hz so I'm looking to make that jump. Is spending $530 dumb when I should be spending 150-200 more for a GSync monitor? I need your opinions! And yes, I know that the monitor will still work and everything, I just won't be taking advantage of the FreeSync.

To make matters worse, I actually WOULD consider my next GPU upgrade (probably in 1-2 years, maybe Vega though?) to an AMD card so that FreeSync wouldn't be a waste. But don't let that nonsense change your answer to the above question.

Thanks!

You could probably get a monitor that has G-Sync and all the other options for the same price.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

You could probably get a monitor that has G-Sync and all the other options for the same price.

I've looked high and low for that and I haven't found anything close. Do you actually have a link to post or was that a guess?

Just now, ZachsTechTurf said:

I've looked high and low for that and I haven't found anything close. Do you actually have a link to post or was that a guess?

That was a guess, but I can look. The only one I know of atm is the Acer Predator XB271HU, but that's a $700 monitor. I'm sure you can find less expensive models.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Honestly, I'd just save up and get the best monitor possible, like the Predator or something equivalent. You know what they say, only spend your money once. If you don't want to though, that's understandable. If your next upgrade is gonna be to an AMD card, i'd say it's not worth the money for a 144hz monitor then, because AMD GPUs are more midrange. I could see spending the money on a 144hz G Sync monitor and getting a 1080 or some shit, but you're most likely not gonna reach that max refresh rate in most games if you're using an AMD card.

edit: It's not G-Sync, but it's 1440p 144hz IPS, and it'll probably do you pretty well: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PB278Q-2560x1440-DisplayPort-Monitor/dp/B009C3M7H0/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1493226251&sr=1-3&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6570749011

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

2 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

Is it IPS?

edit: Nope apparently not

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

Is it IPS?

edit: Nope apparently not

some compromise have to be made at that price point. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

1 hour ago, Mohenjo said:

some compromise have to be made at that price point. 

The original monitor OP suggested was IPS

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

21 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

The original monitor OP suggested was IPS

right but this has g.sync.... IE he doesnt need to spend extra money for it. 

2 hours ago, N1ghtshade said:

Honestly, I'd just save up and get the best monitor possible, like the Predator or something equivalent. You know what they say, only spend your money once. If you don't want to though, that's understandable. If your next upgrade is gonna be to an AMD card, i'd say it's not worth the money for a 144hz monitor then, because AMD GPUs are more midrange. I could see spending the money on a 144hz G Sync monitor and getting a 1080 or some shit, but you're most likely not gonna reach that max refresh rate in most games if you're using an AMD card.

edit: It's not G-Sync, but it's 1440p 144hz IPS, and it'll probably do you pretty well: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PB278Q-2560x1440-DisplayPort-Monitor/dp/B009C3M7H0/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1493226251&sr=1-3&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6570749011

PB278Q is a 60 Hz monitor.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

I thought it was 144hz?

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

32 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

right but this has g.sync.... IE he doesnt need to spend extra money for it. 

I'd rather have IPS than G-Sync imho

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

6 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

uh nah man its 144hz

2 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

I'd rather have IPS than G-Sync imho

seeing both in action (both monitors) the Dell still looks REALLY good.for a non ips panel. The gsync is worth it imo. 

Just now, Mohenjo said:

seeing both in action (both monitors) the Dell still looks REALLY good.for a non ips panel. The gsync is worth it imo. 

Hm ok. Every TN i've used has had shitty colors, but this one might be different

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Hm ok. Every TN i've used has had shitty colors, but this one might be different

its dell, they always make fantastic monitors. The biggest compromise is that its only 24 inch vs 27 inch

1 minute ago, Mohenjo said:

its dell, they always make fantastic monitors. The biggest compromise is that its only 24 inch vs 27 inch

Ah true that's rip

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Well, i enjoy 1440p at 23,8" ;) Nothing is too small, and the Monitor is big enough. I don't sit far away enough to benefit from 27" that much. But that's just me.

To your question:

- Are you sensible to Tearing (V-Sync off) or stuttering (V-Sync on, but not 60 fps) so far? If yes, G-Sync will be sent from heaven for you.

If you think you never saw tearing/Stuttering.. then you might not benefit from it. Since both are reduced with higher refresh rate.

- Depends on the Games you play. I think in CS:GO i didn't see any tearing, even withotu G_Sync and 250 fps.

In Wticher 3 i saw small tearing (but playable. I hate tearing more than input lag) even with 165 Hz. So G-Sync feels more smooth.

Same in Rise of the Tomb Raider. i did NOT see tearing without G-Sync, but i saw Stuttering (don't know why, i had every sync Off). With G_Sync, it feld smoother, more even.

- How long do you plan to keep your Monitor? What are 200 bucks when you benefit from it everytime you play a game, for the next 7-8 years? ^^

Edit: The Dell is fine, i had it. But Color Banding, and the most shitty OSD you might find. No gamma correction option, you have to use the Nvidia Driver, which worsens the Banding a bit.

I had it for 5 weeks, and switched over to an Acer XB241YU, same specs, same Panel.

But it has a more grainy coating (you can get used to it), and a MUCH better OSD. Gamma setting is a heaven here, i use 2.5, but "Game" (one stage darker) also looks very great.

Higher Gamma seting reduces visible Banding, if you have it. I am very happy with it. Also, it has much more Gaming features. For example, it has an Hz-counter, that shows in what Hz the Montior is running at (nice for checking, if G-Sync works as it should)

If Dell and Acer cost the same, i would really recommend getting the Acer.

Just now, Glenwing said:

The PB278Q is not a 144 Hz monitor, it came out in 2012 which is long before 144 Hz IPS tech even existed.

Hmm ok

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

The PB278Q is not a 144 Hz monitor, it came out in 2012 which is long before 144 Hz IPS tech even existed.

ooooh my bad, i got confused by who you quoted sorry.