new gpu. rx580 vs gtx 1060

i am gonna buy a new gpu for 1080p gaming. i have a sapphire r9 280x vapor-x right now. so i want my upgrade to worth it. i was looking in either a rx 580 8gb and a gtx 1060 6gb. which one you think is better? in bechmarks i saw very few differences. i play pretty much everything :P mainly some csgo and dota 2 (classic games) and then i love gta5, middle earth, witcher 3 and generally rpg and fps games. first of all i want to ask if its trully worth it to upgrade my gpu. and then which you think is the best gpu i can get in the 300euros budget. thanks in advance! :D

CPU Intel i5-4690k | Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Ranger | RAM Kingston HyperX fury 8gb (2x4gb) | GPU sapphire r9 280x vapor-x oc | Case Corsair Carbide 200R | Storage WD Blue 1tb | PSU Corsair CX750M

its not worth upgrading. i have a 290x as well and the 290x is more or less on par with with both the 1060 and 580. Save your money wait a generation or two. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Just now, Mohenjo said:

its not worth upgrading. i have a 290x as well and the 290x is more or less on par with with both the 1060 and 580. Save your money wait a generation or two. 

i have a 280x not a 290x... 

CPU Intel i5-4690k | Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Ranger | RAM Kingston HyperX fury 8gb (2x4gb) | GPU sapphire r9 280x vapor-x oc | Case Corsair Carbide 200R | Storage WD Blue 1tb | PSU Corsair CX750M

Just now, nikosgevre said:

i have a 280x not a 290x... 

oh shoot my bad, misread that. But still no. Wait one more gen imo. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

RX 580. It's a tad bit faster than the GTX 1060 and has Freesync. Go with GTX 1060 if you dont care about freesync or g-sync, if it is 20$ or more cheaper.

Just now, FTL said:

RX 580. It's a tad bit faster than the GTX 1060 and has Freesync. Go with GTX 1060 if you dont care about freesync or g-sync, if it is 20$ or more cheaper.

tbh i dont care that much about free sync cause i am not interested in changing my monitor any time soon and i dont have a freesync monitor. i can find the aorus rx 580 8gb for 290 and the gigabyte gtx 1060 6gb for 280 so the price difference is not a problem for just 10euros. i was thinking to go for the 1060 cause i have an experience with amd gpu and i want to try out nvidia. in both my 2 comps i have amd gpu right now :P

Just now, nikosgevre said:

tbh i dont care that much about free sync cause i am not interested in changing my monitor any time soon and i dont have a freesync monitor. i can find the aorus rx 580 8gb for 290 and the gigabyte gtx 1060 6gb for 280 so the price difference is not a problem for just 10euros. i was thinking to go for the 1060 cause i have an experience with amd gpu and i want to try out nvidia. in both my 2 comps i have amd gpu right now :P

Would stick with the RX 580, nvidia keeps changing small stuff in their architecture and stop supporting their old one pretty early.

I would also recommend that you skip this current gen. Your graphic card is powerful enough and upgrading to a current gen card won't give you a huge benefit.

rx580 tbh

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

33 minutes ago, FTL said:

Would stick with the RX 580, nvidia keeps changing small stuff in their architecture and stop supporting their old one pretty early.

No, please don't spread misinformation. My 980ti in SLI have shown performance imporvements with the last 3 updates, haven't tried yesturday's yet.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I went from a overclocked 670 which was keeping pace with stock 770's which is around 280x performance.

I have an RX 580 now and it's a huge upgrade.

35 minutes ago, FTL said:

BS

Anyway OP, you're better off waiting for a bigger upgrade. 

can someone call the Lone ranger, Trigger got loose. 

Thread clean.

Please keep it on-topic and within the Community Standards;

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1722?vs=1870

It will be an incremental upgrade... i'd wait for the 590 if i were you

Incremental?

Some games are as much as 60fps+ faster.

On average around 50% faster than 7970, i would call this a big upgrade, but that's just me.

30 minutes ago, Aphexis said:

BS

What BS? I own a Kepler card (GTX 780) since 2014 and seeing how much it has been crippled without proper game optimised drivers really shows this.

Just now, FTL said:

What BS? I own a Kepler card (GTX 780) since 2014 and seeing how much it has been crippled without proper game optimised drivers really shows this.

Nope.

33 minutes ago, App4that said:

No, please don't spread misinformation. My 980ti in SLI have shown performance imporvements with the last 3 updates, haven't tried yesturday's yet.

I was talking about Kepler, since that was the last time they changed something that affected gaming performance.

Just now, FTL said:

I was talking about Kepler, since that was the last time they changed something that affected gaming performance.

well, as I said earlier Kepler sucks. Nvidia really can't do much for Kepler. Maxwell is still getting support, great support recently. I say recently because before that the driver SUUUUCKED. But Pascal is not Maxwell and there is a noticable improvement going to Pascal in gaming. It's production where the difference seems to be less as the software there has yet to catch up. 

But PLEASE be mindeful. incorrect statements like that cause what happened here. 

Maxwell cards still all have the problem where they just crap out when they run out of VRAM, but Pascal cards don't seem to have that same problem.  GCN cards have never had that problem.

I would wait for VEGA to see the offerings on the 1070 level.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)