Budget 144Hz gaming monitor, FullHD vs QHD at 24"

Laggger164

Basically I am asking whether it is worth getting a 1440p 144Hz TN monitor over a 1080p 144Hz TN monitor for gaming and will QHD make a difference at a 24" monitor size?

EDIT: Also, I have a GTX960 and an FX-6300 in my PC, not planning to upgrade soon.

SOME MORE INSIGHT ON WHAT I WANT BELOW:

So I was thinking about getting a new monitor for gaming so I looked at a few and found this thing on sale for 343€

http://aoc-europe.com/en/products/ag241qx

Here is the link of the seller, but it's in Slovakian: https://www.alza.sk/24-aoc-ag241qx-d4527998.htm?catid=18842948#popis

It's a well known reputable seller so no problems there.

However I still think that is a very high price tag for a monitor, but neat features aside, the most amount of money is going to the 24" 1440p 144Hz panel.

I am not sure whether it is actually worth the upgrade IN THE LONG RUN. I mean, I have a FullHD Phillips monitor a pretty cheap one, but good enough for working and gaming with it, but I want to try out 100+Hz on games like TF2, Minecraft, Portal...

Then I found another monitor http://aoc-europe.com/en/products/g2460pf

https://www.alza.sk/24-aoc-g2460pf-d4016000.htm?catid=18842948

It is around 100€ cheaper, with less of those neat features and a FullHD panel instead of a QHD one. This one is NOT on sale right now.

Edited by Laggger164

Cant tell you anything about the panels, but leaving this here as a reminder that you'll need some serious power to drive QHD @ 144 Hz.. Whats your setup?

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

Just now, Speakerator said:

Cant tell you anything about the panels, but leaving this here as a reminder that you'll need some serious power to drive QHD @ 144 Hz.. Whats your setup?

GTX960, FX6300. Nothing immensely powerful, but I was thinking that if I upgraded to a new PC with better specs, I could just use a monitor like this no problem.

Also, it should be able to run games like TF2 right?

1 hour ago, Laggger164 said:

but it's in Slovakian

I speak Slovakian, so no problem there ;) 

I personally would get the 1080p 144Hz, but it honestly depends if you value quality or frames more.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

you won't get 144hz with an FX 6300 + GTX 960 unless you intend to play Esports

If I upgraded down the line to a better PC, I could just use that monitor no problem right? Maybe I could upgrade like 2 years from now.

Just now, Laggger164 said:

If I upgraded down the line to a better PC, I could just use that monitor no problem right? Maybe I could upgrade like 2 years from now.

yeah its not like you wouldn't be able to use the monitor. you just might not be able to reach the full potential of that monitor until you upgrade. For games like Overwatch, Csgo, Tf2, War thunder, WoT, and other undemanding games such as that you should be able to reach 144fps 1080p. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

yeah its not like you wouldn't be able to use the monitor. you just might not be able to reach the full potential of that monitor until you upgrade. For games like Overwatch, Csgo, Tf2, War thunder, WoT, and other undemanding games such as that you should be able to reach 144fps 1080p. 

But 144Hz 1440p?

2 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

But 144Hz 1440p?

You might have to lower game settings or resolution depending on the game. Don't expect any new games to run especially well at 1440p with a GTX 960. 

Older Esports should be good for 1440p, not sure about War thunder or Overwatch 

You might have to lower game settings or resolution depending on the game. Don't expect any new games to run especially well at 1440p with a GTX 960. 

OK then, I thought it wouldnt have a problem with those games at those resolutions.

Which one would be a better investment if I already have a 1080p 60Hz monitor? Would it be better to just wait longer with a 144Hz 1080p monitor and get something new with new technology inside like 5+ years from now?

Or getting a 1440p 144Hz monitor now and then not upgrade for a long long time?

6 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

ALSO keep in mind I am talking about a 24" 1440p 144Hz monitor. A 24" one, not 27" or higher!

4 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

OK then, I thought it wouldnt have a problem with those games at those resolutions.

Which one would be a better investment if I already have a 1080p 60Hz monitor? Would it be better to just wait longer with a 144Hz 1080p monitor and get something new with new technology inside like 5+ years from now?

Or getting a 1440p 144Hz monitor now and then not upgrade for a long long time?

You could always lower game resolution to 1080p if you're having trouble with framerate, and turn it back up to 1440p for the eyecandy when it allows. 

If willing, I'd get the 1440p 144hz monitor. But I wouldn't let that get in the way of a new upgrade. 

1080p 144hz + new system/upgrade > 1440p 144hz. + old system

Just now, Laggger164 said:

ALSO keep in mind I am talking about a 24" 1440p 144Hz monitor. A 24" one, not 27" or higher!

Size of the monitor makes no difference in performance. its the same amount of pixels. 

Size of the monitor makes no difference in performance. its the same amount of pixels. 

I know, but the higher pixel density might not be as beneficial as a bigger screen with the same pixel density of a FullHD 24" monitor

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/

gtav_2560_1440.png  gtav_1920_1080.png

rottr_2560_1440.png rottr_1920_1080.png

witcher3_2560_1440.png witcher3_1920_1080.png

r6siege_2560_1440.png r6siege_1920_1080.png

check link for more benchmarks, this is just a general idea of what you'll need right now to achieve 1440p 144fps. I'm having trouble finding Esports benchmarks, but these are what you should look at for performance estimates either way. 

3 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/

gtav_2560_1440.png  gtav_1920_1080.png

rottr_2560_1440.png rottr_1920_1080.png

witcher3_2560_1440.png witcher3_1920_1080.png

r6siege_2560_1440.png r6siege_1920_1080.png

check link for more benchmarks, this is just a general idea of what you'll need right now to achieve 1440p 144fps. I'm having trouble finding Esports benchmarks, but these are what you should look at for performance estimates either way. 

Thank you so much! This will help me a lot! But I think I am gonna pass on the 1440p one. I will wait for a sale on one of those 1080p 144Hz monitors.

I will mark this thread as solved in half an hour, I dont know if you can reply anymore after a thread has been solved or not in this forum. So if you want to reply do it now!

Yoo maybe i can help :)

The AOC 1080p Monitor... It is worth Mentioning, it does have a very high min-Brightness. At 0% brightness, it shines at 154 Nits. That can be too much for your eyes during late times. 

See here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/

1440p @ 24":

I am using this since almost 3 months now. At first i thought, everything will look too small.. It took me the one of another day to get used to it. With 100% scaling (aka, no scaling). And now i honestly prefer it. 1080p @ 24" now looks too big for me, not enough space to have many windows open. 

For Gaming: Yea.. honestly, not MUCH of a difference in sharpness. Maybe less flickering and stuff. But yea. Depending on GPU, you WILL have to tune down settings (or just set the game to 1080p).

It's full of compromises during Gaming. But it's managable.

BUT: I recommend, if you sell your GTX 960, get an AMD GPU. RX 580 8gb, or wait for AMD VEGA for a BIG upgrade.

That will be able to push 1440p Much better, AND this Monitor does have Freesync to use. So even at lower fps, you will have smooth gameplay.

Now let's get outisde of gaming. Desktop, Browsing, Office, any application.

It's a GODSENT. 1440p vs. 1080p in desktop mode, you will never want to go back to 1080p honestly.  So much more space to use, you can use so many more windows... it's awesome. 100,0% benefit there.

btw: I have a similar Monitor, 1440p @ 24", 165 Hz, g-Sync, and a GTX 1060 (similar performance as the RX 480/580 8gb).

1440p gaming is fine. I don't get 130 fps on ultra of course.

GTA 5 is playable with 70+ fps or so, on native 1440p, mostly High settings, a few tweaks here and there.

Rise of the Tomb Raider, few settings down to High (Textures ultra), still 60 fps, perfectly smooth thanks to G-Sync (which will be Freesync for you). 

Witcher 3 on ultra (No Hairworks, Object Distance on High) 50 fps~. Also great.

With your GTX 960 you should need to go down on medium or so, to keep 60~ fps around if i had to guess.

So, with this Monitor and my GTX 1060 (got it for my previous 1080p / 60 Hz Monitor, almost everything at smooth 60 fps~ ), i struggle a SLIGHT bit with 60+ fps on modern games. But still, i would never trade this Monitor for a 1080p variant with same specs, even if i get money back.

My Recommendation: Invest in the higher Resolution. You might keep the Monitor for 5-10 years, you get 100% benefit in Desktop, just in games you might have to take a few compromises - Only untill you upgrade your GPU.

TL;DR: Full HD is around for over a decade.. Trend is shifting to 4k now, and 1440p get's more and more popuolar. Sharper, but still not such broken with performance needs as 4k.

From the higher resoltuion, you benefit especially "on the long run". The longer you want to use it, the more i would say get the higher resolution.

9 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

I will mark this thread as solved in half an hour, I dont know if you can reply anymore after a thread has been solved or not in this forum. So if you want to reply do it now!

You can continue to reply after its been solved :) 

9 minutes ago, Laggger164 said:

Thank you so much! This will help me a lot! But I think I am gonna pass on the 1440p one. I will wait for a sale on one of those 1080p 144Hz monitors.

You can usually find a good 144hz monitor onsale for about 150-200$ USD, so don't be afraid to pass up anything that's too absurd. if you have a choice between a 1440p 60hz monitor and a 1080p 144hz personally I'd take the 1080p 144hz anyday.xD

if you can find a good deal on a 144hz 1080p Freesync monitor that would make getting a new Vega GPU/rx480 in the future a nice upgrade

4 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Yoo maybe i can help :)

The AOC 1080p Monitor... It is worth Mentioning, it does have a very high min-Brightness. At 0% brightness, it shines at 154 Nits. That can be too much for your eyes during late times. 

See here: https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/

1440p @ 24":

I am using this since almost 3 months now. At first i thought, everything will look too small.. It took me the one of another day to get used to it. With 100% scaling (aka, no scaling). And now i honestly prefer it. 1080p @ 24" now looks too big for me, not enough space to have many windows open. 

For Gaming: Yea.. honestly, not MUCH of a difference in sharpness. Maybe less flickering and stuff. But yea. Depending on GPU, you WILL have to tune down settings (or just set the game to 1080p).

It's full of compromises during Gaming. But it's managable.

BUT: I recommend, if you sell your GTX 960, get an AMD GPU. RX 580 8gb, or wait for AMD VEGA for a BIG upgrade.

That will be able to push 1440p Much better, AND this Monitor does have Freesync to use. So even at lower fps, you will have smooth gameplay.

Now let's get outisde of gaming. Desktop, Browsing, Office, any application.

It's a GODSENT. 1440p vs. 1080p in desktop mode, you will never want to go back to 1080p honestly.  So much more space to use, you can use so many more windows... it's awesome. 100,0% benefit there.

btw: I have a similar Monitor, 1440p @ 24", 165 Hz, g-Sync, and a GTX 1060 (similar performance as the RX 480/580 8gb).

1440p gaming is fine. I don't get 130 fps on ultra of course.

GTA 5 is playable with 70+ fps or so, on native 1440p, mostly High settings, a few tweaks here and there.

Rise of the Tomb Raider, few settings down to High (Textures ultra), still 60 fps, perfectly smooth thanks to G-Sync (which will be Freesync for you). 

Witcher 3 on ultra (No Hairworks, Object Distance on High) 50 fps~. Also great.

With your GTX 960 you should need to go down on medium or so, to keep 60~ fps around if i had to guess.

So, with this Monitor and my GTX 1060 (got it for my previous 1080p / 60 Hz Monitor, almost everything at smooth 60 fps~ ), i struggle a SLIGHT bit with 60+ fps on modern games. But still, i would never trade this Monitor for a 1080p variant with same specs, even if i get money back.

My Recommendation: Invest in the higher Resolution. You might keep the Monitor for 5-10 years, you get 100% benefit in Desktop, just in games you might have to take a few compromises - Only untill you upgrade your GPU.

TL;DR: Full HD is around for over a decade.. Trend is shifting to 4k now, and 1440p get's more and more popuolar. Sharper, but still not such broken with performance needs as 4k.

From the higher resoltuion, you benefit especially "on the long run". The longer you want to use it, the more i would say get the higher resolution.

I will keep my old 1080p 60Hz monitor too so... do I need that extra screen real estate then if I use the old one as a second monitor?

I kept my old 24" 1080p Monitor too ^^ I have a Dual screns etup now, 2x 23,8" to be precise.

One runs in 1080p @ 60 Hz (Dell U2414H IPS), and the other is my new Main Monitor, 1440p @ 165 Hz (Acer XB241YU).

Different resolutions, different Refresh rates, even different panel types But well, works ;) Colors even look quite similar.

Keep in Mind, when you move stuff from the 1440p Monitor over to the 1080p Monitor, it will be bigger (because less pixels at same size).

And the Mouse will jump. For example, 900 pixels from the Top are almost the bottom on the 1080p Monitor. But it's only 60% of the 1440p Monitor. You can't prevent that.

But: I don't regret getting a 1440p Monitor. More space on the main screen, more Chrome tabs are visible, more sharpness in games, etc.

It is not the most elegant solution, but it does work fine for me. Might replace my 1080p screen sometime for a higher resolution one. But for now, it works just fine and i'm happy with all the multitasking stuff.

Well, you don't "need" the more screen estate, or resolution. but it's pretty nice.

I would recommend getting the higher resolution, and just test it for yourself, if you like it better that way. If you would really prefer the same lower resolution (to keep both Monitors at the same ppi) you can still send it back and get the 1080p one ^^ But at least you tried it for yourself :)

Since it's very difficult to take this decision away from you.. You ar e different than me, you might have other preferences. I can just tell you, how i prefer it, and why  ^^

4 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

I kept my old 24" 1080p Monitor too ^^ I have a Dual screns etup now, 2x 23,8" to be precise.

One runs in 1080p @ 60 Hz (Dell U2414H IPS), and the other is my new Main Monitor, 1440p @ 165 Hz (Acer XB241YU).

Different resolutions, different Refresh rates, even different panel types But well, works ;) Colors even look quite similar.

Keep in Mind, when you move stuff from the 1440p Monitor over to the 1080p Monitor, it will be bigger (because less pixels at same size).

And the Mouse will jump. For example, 900 pixels from the Top are almost the bottom on the 1080p Monitor. But it's only 60% of the 1440p Monitor. You can't prevent that.

But: I don't regret getting a 1440p Monitor. More space on the main screen, more Chrome tabs are visible, more sharpness in games, etc.

It is not the most elegant solution, but it does work fine for me. Might replace my 1080p screen sometime for a higher resolution one. But for now, it works just fine and i'm happy with all the multitasking stuff.

Well, you don't "need" the more screen estate, or resolution. but it's pretty nice.

I would recommend getting the higher resolution, and just test it for yourself, if you like it better that way. If you would really prefer the same lower resolution (to keep both Monitors at the same ppi) you can still send it back and get the 1080p one ^^ But at least you tried it for yourself :)

Since it's very difficult to take this decision away from you.. You ar e different than me, you might have other preferences. I can just tell you, how i prefer it, and why  ^^

Well I still think that I am gonna go for the more wallet friendly option. I don't have lots of money, I am still a high school student, in 1 and a half years I am gonna go to university, my parents also don't have lots of money to throw around so I am gonna wait. When I get a real job and stuff and get myself settled I will upgrade my whole PC setup (most likely excluding the keyboard since it's mechanical) with newer, better technologies. But that is 7+ years from now, so I think I will be better off with the 1080p variant.

Which is totally fine :)

It is easy to stay with the resolution you have.

Difficult is just, if you got used to a higher one, going back is not easy :P So yea. Have fun with it.

But an alternative model with probably lower minimum-brightness: Acer XF240Hbmjdpr

In Case you don't like too bright displays.