Opinions on the Logitech G710?

So I'm looking at getting the Logitech g710 keyboard. I use my computer mostly for gaming, but as the public school system continues to get more digital, I am using it more and more for schoolwork. I am wondering about the pros and cons of this keyboard, as the LTT review of it is ancient. Linus still uses it as his daily driver at the office today, so it must be good for some situations. anyone have any wisdom to share?

Imo when it comes to mechanical keyboards, it comes down to the keycaps and switches. Mainly the switches. Thats all your really going to be felling when typing (unless it has funky keycaps hence switches AND keycaps being the main point) so its really the feel of the keys and the layout/look of the keyboard. So if you know you Like for example MX Browns, and you like the look of the keyboard, then you're going to like the keyboard.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Cherry MX browns = awesome

Pre-installed O-rings = awesome

Soft white light? = awesome

WASD light control? = awesome

Add

awesome

+awesome

+awesome

+awesome

HELLA   AWESOME

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Easy to break the handwrist, not sure if they fixed the keycap quality on Cherry MX-Brown models.
I have the G710, Cherry MX-Blue and it works fine. 

it's a very good starting full-size board if you want to try out cherry switches. but the keycaps are a bit lackluster. my g710+ shines more than diamonds now 

Ah. The G710+. It's honestly a classic keyboard. Let's start with switches. You can get either Brown's or Blue's. Brown's are quieter, and I prefer Brown's so I'm going off of a perspective of someone who prefers brown switches. It's got 6 programmable macro buttons that can become useful in situations. The keys are mechanical, so it will feel better to type on and you'll make less mistakes [my opinion] than a regular membrane keyboard. So what would I say for you? Maybe. I'll list some pros and cons

Pros

-----

-6 Programmable Macro Keys

-Mechanical Switches at a Reasonable Price

-Minimalist Looking

-Good Reviews

-Arm Rest

-Backlit

Cons

------

-Price [$75] [It's a bit of an old keyboard, and a lot of better keyboards have came out since the release date in 2012]

-Large [Depends if you're tight on space]

So what's my final verdict? Personally, I wouldn't get it at this point, as there are some better keyboards around the same price range [I got my Corsair K70 RGB for the same price, believe it or not] but it honestly depends on what you like. About the Linus thing, I'm just going off of it probably never broke and he just didn't see a need to replace it. For about the same price, you can get the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid from Cooler Master. It comes with the number pad or without, so whatever you prefer. 

Hey, I'm Word [aka Graham :)] and I'm 18 years old and I live in Boston. I love computers and all things technology and you can view my specs below. I love playing Overwatch, CS:GO, The Sims, DOOM, and a lot of games!

CPU - Intel Core i5-7600k @ 5.0GHz 

CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 

Motherboard - MSI Z270 SLI Plus 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 

SSD - Zotac T500 240GB

HDD - Western Digital Blue 1TB

GPU - Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!

Case - NZXT S340 Elite [Black]

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W

12 minutes ago, GwithHeadphones said:

computer mostly for gaming

Browns are awesome for gaming as well

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

can't say anything negative yet,got it a year ago

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

Got it a little back, can't say anything bad except no rgb lighting and the odd orange colored thing around the dedicated keys for whatever, but for the price it's not like I expected it to have rgb :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

52 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Got it a little back, can't say anything bad except no rgb lighting and the odd orange colored thing around the dedicated keys for whatever, but for the price it's not like I expected it to have rgb :P 

Nothing is odd if you can

FUCKING MOD IT

20170316_185725.jpg

23 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

FUCKING MOD IT WITHOUT GETTING THE VOLUME WHEEL DIRTY

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

STOP

25 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

STOP

Did I go too far? Just like you did with the paint which is why the volume wheel is dirty

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

Did I go too far?

not really

but it doesn't look bad now

56 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

FUCKING MOD IT

Why not paint that as well....

AqhsO4O.jpg

Just now, Bubblewhale said:

Why not paint that as well....

AqhsO4O.jpg

paint what? also that g710 not g710+, the g710 already looks fine

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

paint what? also that g710 not g710+, the g710 already looks fine

Paint the black metal part...

Just now, Bubblewhale said:

Paint the black metal part...

Imo leave it out would look better. 

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

FUCKING MOD IT

The imperfections near that escape key though.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The imperfections near that escape key though.

It's the light, here is updated pic

Spoiler

20170320_145602.jpg

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

It's the light, here is updated pic

Maybe I should invest in a mechanical keyboard. Not a fan of how the there seems to be three different tones of sound for the keys on the AZIO L70. The paint on the keycaps are already flaking off and the LEDs have dimmed significantly to the point that the caps lock light blinds me in comparison to number lock.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Maybe I should invest in a mechanical keyboard. Not a fan of how the there seems to be three different tones of sound for the keys on the AZIO L70. The paint on the keycaps are already flaking off and the LEDs have dimmed significantly to the point that the caps lock light blinds me in comparison to number lock.

You had an L70? Dude I had same kb too. Though it's has been modified witg Asus name and stuff. It was a nice one. Yeah the light was really low lit. I like the volume knob though. 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

You had an L70? Dude I had same kb too. Though it's has been modified witg Asus name and stuff. It was a nice one. Yeah the light was really low lit. I like the volume knob though. 

Yea,  been using it for almost two years now. You had the red ASUS branded one? I don't mind the LEDs being a bit dim. I actually prefer them since they're not as big as a strain on my eyes since I have a condition where bright lights look like starbursts to me. What really bothers me is that the LEDs dimmed dramatically over time. So the LEDs that aren't on all the time (caps and win lock) at now much brighter than everything else.

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yea,  been using it for almost two years now. You had the red ASUS branded one? I don't mind the LEDs being a bit dim. I actually prefer them since they're not as big as a strain on my eyes since I have a condition where bright lights look like starbursts to me. What really bothers me is that the LEDs dimmed dramatically over time. So the LEDs that aren't on all the time (caps and win lock) at now much brighter than everything else.

It's blue. I actually put it to off always. The light not bright enough to look cool or something. 

i had it for half a month, sold it to someone in LTT for $20. I bought g710+ for $60 used so quite happy.

Good to know they degrade over time