is two volts and one amp the same as two amps and one volt

So I want to power some of my fans and I was just wondering since volt✖️Amp=watt if 2 volts✖️1amp is the same thing as 2amp✖️1volt becuase they both equal 2 Watts 

Thanks

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

while the same amount of watts voltage is given while amps are drawn, so getting this scenario on the same fan would be difficult.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Lots of amps and no volts: I'd touch that.

Lots of volts and no amps: I'd not touch that.

Welder vs tazer.

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

Welder vs tazer.

Lots of volts and lots of amps? I'd touch that and die.

power lines vs life.

Not really, if you are powering an object with a set voltage, its resistance will determine the current.

V = IR, so if you have something rate at 2V 1A which has 2 ohm resistance, dropping the voltage to 1V, will also drop the current to 0.5A, reducing the power to 0.5W.

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Lots of volts and lots of amps? I'd touch that and die.

Do I need to call the suicide helpline?

Both of those will use the same amount of power, theoretically that means that on a DC fan they would both make it spin at the same rate.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Amps are a measure of current or particles passing per second.

Volts are the difference between two objects and their electrical potential. 

You would much rather go for the 1000A at 1V vs the 1A at 1000V. They would equal the same amount (not taking resistance into account), but would feel drastically different. 

With muscles, such as the heart and skeletal muscles, amps remain relatively level while voltage changes dramatically. 

Speaking of muscles and electricity, did you know that your kidneys use no energy to filter your blood? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

53 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Do I need to call the suicide helpline?

nope!

8 hours ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Welder vs tazer.

TL:DW ? 20 Volt 150 Amp, will not kill you, cause skin resistance. go watch

@djneo Got the same speakers as this guy has. (as seen @ 2:23 and beyond) I've got the 5.1 set however.

On 4/15/2017 at 5:31 PM, Energycore said:

Both of those will use the same amount of power, theoretically that means that on a DC fan they would both make it spin at the same rate.

That's not true.

A fan will spin according to the voltage it is fed, that's why motors are rated in kV which means rpm/volt.

The current is what determines the torque, to a certain point.

If the motor doesn't get enough current, it won't be able to start up.

If a motor gets a load applied to it, the current will increase linearly.

If he is powering a fan that is rated at (for example) 500mA consumption, then at 2v 1A it will spin twice as fast as 1v 2A because in both cases it will only be using 500mA.

It will not consume more current than it needs.

If the fan is rated at 2A current, then it probably won't work at all with 2v 1A.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

That's not true.

A fan will spin according to the voltage it is fed, that's why motors are rated in kV which means rpm/volt.

The current is what determines the torque, to a certain point.

If the motor doesn't get enough current, it won't be able to start up.

If a motor gets a load applied to it, the current will increase linearly.

If he is powering a fan that is rated at (for example) 500mA consumption, then at 2v 1A it will spin twice as fast as 1v 2A because in both cases it will only be using 500mA.

It will not consume more current than it needs.

If the fan is rated at 2A current, then it probably won't work at all with 2v 1A.

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. The additional current just goes out to ground then?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. The additional current just goes out to ground then?

No, it just doesn't get drawn.

If a power supply (or fan header) is rated at a certain current, that's the max current it will supply.

If you have nothing attached, then 0 current is being drawn. It doesn't go anywhere, like having a faucet shut off.

When a component is attached, the component dictates how much current it will let through, and the power source will give it just what it needs.

Voltage is a different story, because if you increase the voltage then all of it will go to the component regardless of what the component needs, and as voltage increases then the current it will let through also increases, and that's how you fry things :P 

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

No, it just doesn't get drawn.

If a power supply (or fan header) is rated at a certain current, that's the max current it will supply.

If you have nothing attached, then 0 current is being drawn. It doesn't go anywhere, like having a faucet shut off.

When a component is attached, the component dictates how much current it will let through, and the power source will give it just what it needs.

Voltage is a different story, because if you increase the voltage then all of it will go to the component, and as voltage increases then the current it will let through also increases, and that's how you fry thing :P 

Interesting. I should take a course in electricity

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

On 4/15/2017 at 6:24 PM, Zic05 said:

So I want to power some of my fans and I was just wondering since volt✖️Amp=watt if 2 volts✖️1amp is the same thing as 2amp✖️1volt becuase they both equal 2 Watts 

Thanks

P=VxA

V=IR

In terms of power they are exactly the same. but you have to look at the circtuitry you are using, what is the applicable ranges for volts and amps. You must also look at wasted energy in terms of heat.

The way I see it, OP's question can be interpreted in 2 different ways, so I'll try my best to explain both:

• I have a fan that says it takes 2V at 1A, if I were to power this using a 1V supply capable of 2A, what speed would the fan spin at?

If the fan were a resistive load, then the answer would be fairly simple. Since the fan draws 1 amp of current when powered with 2 volts, it is equivalent to a 2 ohm resistor, meaning that when powered by 1V, it will draw 0.5A, or 500 mW, as is given by the equation I=V/R, where I is current in Amps, V is voltage and R is resistance in ohms. This isn't the case however, since a fan is an inductive load, meaning that it gets more complicated. However, the basic principle remains the same. A load (fan, lightbulb, whatever) will only draw as much current as it requires, and generally as the voltage increases, it will require more current, and as it decreases, it will require less. It doesn't matter if a 1V supply is capable of giving 10A or 10000A, if the load only requires 1A, it will only draw 1A. In this case, the fan would spin slower. 

• I have a fan that says it takes 1V at 2A, if I were to power this using a 2V supply capable of 1A, what speed would the fan spin at?

The fan in this scenario would want to draw more current, but would be limited by the amount that the PSU can supply, therefore it might spin at the same speed, however powering things with more voltage than they are designed for is a generally bad idea, and your fan may end up looking like the resistor in my profile picture, so don't do this.

May Our Framerates Be High And Our Temperatures Be Low.

PSUs: EVGA B2/G2/GQ/GS, Corsair RMx/i, Grey-Label CXM, Everything Seasonic/Delta/Super Flower, XFX except XT

Use pcpartpicker.com