Reinstalling OS

BobyTheDragon
Go to solution Solved by BobyTheDragon,
Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

then you need a new key. You can pull the keys off with some programs. Windows 10 can be used unactived if  you want.

True, ill look into it using windows 10. Thanks

I have a old dell next to me right now. Its a decent computer running windows 7 enterprise with some programs and such. Only problem is that I want to factory reset the PC so I have a clean version of windows 7.

The system is a Dell Optiplex 960 (I believe it used to run Vista due to the sticker saying windows vista product key) but now it has Windows 7.

I have tried on my own various things. And ive come here to ask you guys what I can do.

Things I tried:

• Going to system recovery (After spamming F8 on startup) and looking for factory reset button, Found nothing.
  • Looking at BIOS for a factory reset button. Don't know why it would be there but worth a try, Found nothing.
  • Looking at system restore, Found nothing.
  • Attempt to reinstall Windows 7 Enterprise using the product key, Was not able to get product key (I tried various programs but either got a bunch of B's or "Was not able to find product key").

Things I have not tried:

• Going to the advanced options of system recovery (Inside OS itself) and factory resetting from there. But i'm worried that it will ask for a product key + I don't have any windows 7 installation media at all (But I can easily source some in my own time).

Any Ideas anyone?

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

Just get a win7 iso, put it on a usb, boot from it and then reinstall.

So there's no way to get the product key back? Just didnt want to have to spend cash on another product key

1 minute ago, Marshall212 said:

So there's no way to get the product key back? Just didnt want to have to spend cash on another product key

when you reinstall put the same key back in.

But if its a enterprise key, you probably need a new one as those are for vl only.

when you reinstall put the same key back in.

But if its a enterprise key, you probably need a new one as those are for vl only.

It is enterprise, And I don't have any keys only the vista key on the case (Unless the vista key works on windows 7?)

Just now, Marshall212 said:

It is enterprise, And I don't have any keys only the vista key on the case (Unless the vista key works on windows 7?)

then you need a new key. You can pull the keys off with some programs. Windows 10 can be used unactived if  you want.

True, ill look into it using windows 10. Thanks

23 minutes ago, Marshall212 said:

Attempt to reinstall Windows 7 Enterprise using the product key, Was not able to get product key (I tried various programs but either got a bunch of B's or "Was not able to find product key").

Windows Enterprise is a business only product. You cannot buy it legally unless you sign up with a MS VL re-seller. Extracting the product key never works with products like this and you might find the original owner of the key has used up all 50 activations a long time ago.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_