Completely destroy all files?

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

They are kicking down your door for your data.  'Effort' is a forgone conclusion.

Fair enough.

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

23 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

USB stick with DOS on it running something like Davids Boot Nuke or something(DBM probably wont run on DOS but there are most likely things that will)

*edit*

honestly if you want your harddrive data gone i would either open it(usiually 4 screws or so) and stomp the platters and sandpaper whats left of it

DBAN is the way, i have an evil DBAN stick here at work, i modified the syslinux config file so that it runs unattended. Basically i jam this into my colleagues work PC once a month or so and set USB to top boot priority. When he turns the PC on he has literally 10 seconds to realise its booted into DBAN and turn his PC off before he loses all his files :D

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Just now, Clearly Confused said:

Trust me piracy is the LEAST im concerned about (my OS is pirated damn it!)

I dunno what you have on your system, but if it's not pirated material and you fear police incursion.... Maybe you should just NOT have that data on your possession, whatever it is, also I don't want to know what it is...

30 minutes ago, Clearly Confused said:

Kill disk, absolutely fast and reliable, it'll change all the values to one or zero, absolutely not recoverable.

-- BSOD : ( --

40 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I dunno what you have on your system, but if it's not pirated material and you fear police incursion.... Maybe you should just NOT have that data on your possession, whatever it is, also I don't want to know what it is...

cat pictures.... dank memes.... minecraft servers.... scary stuff i tell you!:ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Clearly Confused said:

cat pictures.... dank memes.... scary stuff i tell you!:ph34r:

just read up on truecrypt hidden volumes. It is more than enough for any kind of material you own and will let you sleep at night.

32 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

USB stick with DOS on it running something like Davids Boot Nuke or something(DBM probably wont run on DOS but there are most likely things that will)

*edit*

honestly if you want your harddrive data gone i would either open it(usiually 4 screws or so) and stomp the platters and sandpaper whats left of it

...FBI....breaking in.... you have 5 seconds or so.... you get the picture

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Send a secure erase command to the drive. If interrupted, it will lock the drive. And it will stay locked

Should the command be written in comic sans for "EXTRA THICC" security?

37 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Are you a gurl?

Did you just assume my gender?!?!

41 minutes ago, Griefa said:

Bash the keyboard furiously, then insert into computer.

hqdefault.jpg

Not enough muscle powah man, i need something different...

2 hours ago, Clearly Confused said:

Hey im not the one with an MLP profile picture :-p

Nothing wrong with that no matter what age or gender.  ?

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

But I'm a girl so I am allowed to have it even though I'm 22 years old right?........ right?? o.O

Of course you're allowed.  Liking cute things doesn't have an age limit.  ?

I mean you don't have to stop liking something just because you aren't a child anymore.

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

For an SSD, there are commands to do this and it's nearly instantanious.  For an HDD However, it'd take too long.  For an HDD all you'd HAVE to do is zero the drive, that is, fill it full of zeros.  People will talk about more elaborate measures, but so far in recorded research or law enforcement, no one has ever ACTUALLY recovered a file that was simply zeroed.  But your problem is you have to WRITE those zeros.  As in, to zero a 500GB HDD, you'd have to write 500GB of zeros.  It would take exactly as long as it'd take to write 500GB of any data to a file.  If you have people breaking down your door, you wouldn't have enough time.

Would you be able to point me to programs for securely erasing SSDs and HDDs?

If each type of drive needs different programs and/or commands to securely erase stating those would be appreciated. 

I should probably make a topic about this eventually but for now I'll ask you since you apparently know about this stuff.

I've got a few drives I'm not currently using that I would like to erase so I could either give them away or dispose of them. 

2 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Use AES 256 with a completely random key you type in that is 40+ characters long. Nobody is decrypting that.

How would you set up encryption like that?    A program?  Something else?

The topic is destroying files. The point is not being able to remember because you can be held indefinitely in jail if the police know you have illegal things that are encrypted and you have the password memorized. 

A crazy long password is nice but how would you keep track of it for when you'd need to type it in?

No but apparently they can hold you forever until you either give them the password or enter it yourself.

What if you legit don't know though?    Like if you just typed a long series of random keys and didn't pay attention or you did but it's so random and long that you forgot anyway.  

I'd be sitting there screaming "I seriously don't remember officer!"  ?

4 hours ago, Clearly Confused said:

...FBI....breaking in.... you have 5 seconds or so.... you get the picture

yah, cut power and boot into USB, would take me less then 5 secs.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 3/30/2017 at 5:29 PM, Arcanekitten said:

Why are you so concerned about the FBI lmao 

Encryption is something a normal human being won't be able to crack for the coming 90+ years if you use a correct encryption.

I reinstall my OS every 3 months to avoid tracking so i don't want to lose that key.