1080ti Strix (ASUS) vs ICX FTW3 (EVGA)

StormEye

I am currently looking into pre-ordering either ASUS's Strix 1080ti or EVGA's 1080ti FTW3.

Obviously both cards are not out yet, but I am quite sure both will be gone before I will get a chance to get my hands on them without pre-ordering.

I presume ASUS's 1080ti Strix will not stray far from its 1080 Strix cooler, but I am not familiar with its cooling performance and, more importantly, noise factor.

EVGA's 1080ti FTW3 is coming with a new cooler design (well at least for them), so I am not sure how it will perform either.

Just wondering if anyone can give me some pointers to

1. How good is ASUS's Strix cooler? How loud is it at gaming load?

2. Any predictions on how EVGA's new cooler design's performance?

EDIT: I have new questions after watching LinusTechTips review of ASUS 1080 Strix.

1. Do ASUS cards still have an issue of user being REQUIRED to run GPU Tweak II?

2. Is there any other software out there that has detailed GPU monitoring that supports Logitech LCD?

EDIT2: Just got a call from local supplier, I can make preorder for ASUS 1080ti Strix. Probably gonna go ahead and do so this evening after work.

1. Very good. Very quite. A Strix would be a nice buy, you won't regret it

fannoise_load.png

temp.png

2. No idea

46 minutes ago, StormEye said:

I am currently looking into pre-ordering either ASUS's Strix 1080ti or EVGA's 1080ti FTW3.

Obviously both cards are not out yet, but I am quite sure both will be gone before I will get a chance to get my hands on them without pre-ordering.

I presume ASUS's 1080ti Strix will not stray far from its 1080 Strix cooler, but I am not familiar with its cooling performance and, more importantly, noise factor.

EVGA's 1080ti FTW3 is coming with a new cooler design (well at least for them), so I am not sure how it will perform either.

Just wondering if anyone can give me some pointers to

1. How good is ASUS's Strix cooler? How loud is it at gaming load?

2. Any predictions on how EVGA's new cooler design's performance?

EVGA's ICX cooler is kind of new - it was on one of the 1080 cards as well. The performance is pretty much similar as the ACX3.0 cooler, but the changes are, that you can configure fans' speeds separately (less noise/better cooling) and see more sensor information.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

EVGA's website is taking a dumb right now. I can't get to the 1080ti FTW product page to preorder 1 or 2 of those suckers.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

Those two are most likely going to be very close together as far as performance goes.  I would pick EVGA over ASUS just because of how good their customer service is.

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

I say this as an NVidia fanboi...

If the AIB's delay the custom 1080ti boards much longer, there won't be any reason to NOT wait to see what AMD's Vega will provide.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

@deXxterlab97@jj9987@PCMasterDebater@MidnightBanshi@gcubed

Seems like FTW3 is either not yet available for preorder, or I missed it while I was sleeping (I'm in Asia).

Will just have to wait and see whether I am able to preorder ASUS right now or not.

I actually have a new question after watching ASUS 1080 Strix review from LinusTechTips.

Luke has mentioned that a user is REQUIRED to use GPU Tweak II in order to make it run to its full potential.

I prefer to use EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner as they provide Logitech LCD support for monitoring (I use Logitech G19s Keyboard that has LCD display built in). From my understanding, ASUS's GPU Tweak II has no such function, and iirc it is not compatible to be run alongside other GPU softwares.

So, new questions are as follows.

1. Do ASUS cards still have an issue of user being REQUIRED to run GPU Tweak II?

2. Is there any other software out there that has detailed GPU monitoring that supports Logitech LCD?

1 hour ago, StormEye said:

@deXxterlab97@jj9987@PCMasterDebater@MidnightBanshi@gcubed

Seems like FTW3 is either not yet available for preorder, or I missed it while I was sleeping (I'm in Asia).

Will just have to wait and see whether I am able to preorder ASUS right now or not.

I actually have a new question after watching ASUS 1080 Strix review from LinusTechTips.

Luke has mentioned that a user is REQUIRED to use GPU Tweak II in order to make it run to its full potential.

I prefer to use EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner as they provide Logitech LCD support for monitoring (I use Logitech G19s Keyboard that has LCD display built in). From my understanding, ASUS's GPU Tweak II has no such function, and iirc it is not compatible to be run alongside other GPU softwares.

So, new questions are as follows.

1. No. MSI afterburner should work with any card, I am using it on my PowerColor Red Dragon RX 480 now

2. Other than MSI Afternurner, none that I know off

Short answer:   If you have the room in your system , go with the strix card as it will be better.

Long answer:

How can i say that? It's  easy: the strix card is way bigger and as so has a much bigger  cooling area.

I will explain it with numbers:

-The evga card is a 2 slot design and is 27x12.8 cm in dimension ( length  and height)

-The strix is a 2.5 slot design and is 30x13.4 cm in dimensions

Now, let's  say that the pcb eats up 1/4 of the slot and the fans take another 3/4 of a slot, you have 1 slot(2cm high) worth  of cooling with the evga card.

With the strix,  using the same metod, you  have 1.4 (considering that the bigger card need a heavier and ticker shroud )slot worth of aluminium fins, and this 40% surface area increase claim that i mentioned is backed up both from msi and asus that went from 2 to 2.5 slot design for their cooler for the 1080ti. 

Now for easiness we are going to say that both asus and evga are using the same fins density, spacing and material, so they have a cooler that has the same  cooling area efficiency ; and we are going to take from the height and lenght of the card 1.5 cm, as it is the space occupied by the pcie slot and the orizzontal and vertical shrouds.

Now doing the maths:

Strix's cooling fins area: 2.8 cm×11.9x28.5=950cm3

Evga cooling area: 2x 11.3×25.5=580cm3

The difference is just massive, if you can go with the strix

1 minute ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

-snip-

Thank you very much for detailed answer.

I will be running in 2x SLi.

My motherboard is ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition, which has 2 slot spacing between 16x PCIe slots (I need to use 4 slot SLi Bridge).

Do you think there will be any airflow/heat issue with big cards sandwiched together?

Just now, StormEye said:

Thank you very much for detailed answer.

I will be running in 2x SLi.

My motherboard is ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition, which has 2 slot spacing between 16x PCIe slots (I need to use 4 slot SLi Bridge).

Do you think there will be any airflow/heat issue with big cards sandwiched together?

It will work great!

I run an sli of palit gtx 980 ti that are 2.5 slot wide with only 1 slot spacing ( so i need a 3 slot bridge). The upper card will reach the 80s though 

I saw on another forum that there is a piece of software called LCDSirReal that may do what you are looking for with your Logitech keyboard.

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

You know the funniest part about  it?  I'm  going to buy the evga one because i'm restricted to 2 slot design for my next pc (mini itx) :-D

Edited by Flavio hc 16
Corrected the wording

6 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

It will work great!

I run an sli of palit gtx 980 ti that are 2.5 slot wide with only 1 slot spacing ( so i need a 3 slot bridge). The upper card will reach the 80s though 

How noisy will the top card get? I am very concerned about noise factor, heat not so much. I remember a LONG~ time ago, I had two not so quiet cards becoming jet engines. I do know that Strix cooler will be significantly quieter than the noisy cards I had back then, but just wondering how much of an issue the card will be due to sandwiching.

Since you have 1 slot spacing (thats actually what I had previously), I just would like to know how loud does a normal load get when running in SLi?

6 minutes ago, MidnightBanshi said:

I saw on another forum that there is a piece of software called LCDSirReal that may do what you are looking for with your Logitech keyboard.

I will check that out. Thank you.

Just now, StormEye said:

How noisy will the top card get? I am very concerned about noise factor, heat not so much. I remember a LONG~ time ago, I had two not so quiet cards becoming jet engines. I do know that Strix cooler will be significantly quieter than the noisy cards I had back then, but just wondering how much of an issue the card will be due to sandwiching.

Since you have 1 slot spacing (thats actually what I had previously), I just would like to know how loud does a normal load get when running in SLi?

It runs pretty loud, especially because I'm  running both at 1520mhz and are very close to each other: the top card runs at 81c at 76-78% fan speed, under benchmark it goes up to 90% and 83-84c, lets just say that they are justifing their name ( palit Jetstream). The reason i will move to a single card is noise in fact.

But in your case you have better cards and better spacing, so you should still be ok noise wise if you allow you top card to run in the 80-85c range

1 minute ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

It runs pretty loud, especially because I'm  running both at 1520mhz and are very close to each other: the top card runs at 81c at 76-78% fan speed, under benchmark it goes up to 90% and 83-84c, lets just say that they are justifing their name ( palit Jetstream). The reason i will move to a single card is noise in fact.

But in your case you have better cards and better spacing, so you should still be ok noise wise if you allow you top card to run in the 80-85c range

Alrighty. Thanks.

I guess I will just let my top card run a little hot, if noise level is too high. Hopefully, I don't have to do too much of that, preferably no at all.

@deXxterlab97@Flavio hc 16

Just got a call from local supplier, I can make preorder for ASUS 1080ti Strix OC. 2~3 weeks lead time, so its pretty much same release date as EVGA ICX (non-FTW3) versions.

Probably gonna go ahead and pre-order ASUS 1080ti Strix OC this evening after work.

Just now, StormEye said:

@deXxterlab97@Flavio hc 16

Just got a call from local supplier, I can make preorder for ASUS 1080ti Strix OC. 2~3 weeks lead time, so its pretty much same release date as EVGA ICX (non-FTW3) versions.

Probably gonna go ahead and pre-order ASUS 1080ti Strix OC this evening after work.

yup I am with you! asus ftw (that kinda contradicts everything here lol). go asus

I personally hate Asus as a company so I would go with EVGA. However the strix lineup has a pretty good record for low fan noise and cooler performance.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Just now, Remixt said:

I personally hate Asus as a company so I would go with EVGA. However the strix lineup has a pretty good record for low fan noise and cooler performance.

Well, if someone who does not like ASUS is complimenting on the low fan noise and cooling performance, I suppose thats a good thing right?

So the strix wont be released until mid april?

Seesh I might just get the Aorus card from gigabyte since those release this friday, I really don't wanna wait another half a month JUST for a GPU x-x

55 minutes ago, AdmiralMeowmix said:

So the strix wont be released until mid april?

Seesh I might just get the Aorus card from gigabyte since those release this friday, I really don't wanna wait another half a month JUST for a GPU x-x

Well, a mid-April release in Europe.

According to Official Unnamed Sources, mid-March release in North America... So yeah, ASUS is run by the U.S. Government. -P

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

11 minutes ago, gcubed said:

Well, a mid-April release in Europe.

According to Official Unnamed Sources, mid-March release in North America... So yeah, ASUS is run by the U.S. Government. -P

Mid march awfully seems like very late march, tho the Aorus extreme edition looks like it has a better cooling system than the Asus strix anyways tho I could be wrong :L

Once the reviews are out we'll see, I'm just gonna buy whichever one I can get soonest xD let's hope the reviews done make me feel buyers regret LOL