Limited Data Plan. How Do i Lower Data Usage on Windows 10?

The goals I'm trying to achieve. Lower data usage as much as possible. They only apps i want to have access to the internet are programs i need to play games and the game themselves. My first idea was to block all applications communication by creating a rule in the firewall and then just white listing all the games i want to plan. Turns out it is not that simple. Anyone have in ideas on complicating this?

Filler

I work/live on a Campground and have access to unlimited internet through satellite. so i can stream movies, download games, updates, etc. (Satellite Ping is to high) My 4g data plan is good enough to play games online but windows 10 sucks a lot of data and must of that is background programs i don't need run. 

Update:

I set my computer up to metered. Thanks TheNuzziNuzz 

I also downloaded and am using Netlimiter. Thanks anonymousGuy. (Netlimiter was everything i was looking for. Very easy to use)

and Thanks Samcool55 and M.A.P.

4 minutes ago, GoLuckyLucas said:

The goals I'm trying to achieve. Lower data usage as much as possible. They only apps i want to have access to the internet are programs i need to play games and the game themselves. My first idea was to block all applications communication by creating a rule in the firewall and then just white listing all the games i want to plan. Turns out it is not that simple. Anyone have in ideas on complicating this?

Filler

I work/live on a Campground and have access to unlimited internet through satellite. so i can stream movies, download games, updates, etc. (Satellite Ping is to high) My 4g data plan is good enough to play games online but windows 10 sucks a lot of data and must of that is background programs i don't need run. 

block unnecessary programs with firewall and set Windows update to never or manual. 

Netlimiter.

I was using it back when a Pentium 2 was my main desktop.  Man I've come a long way.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Maybe glasswire is something for you.

It works with the windows firewall and i use it all the time. I recommend trying that :)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon