Best thermal paste

so my stick of silver 5 has run out after swapping my i3 out of an i7 and im going to need a new stick of thermal paste. what are the recommended pastes?

CPU-I7 4790

COOLER-Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim

MOBO-Gigabyte Z97 HD3

RAM-8GB G.skill Ripjaws X

GPU-Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB G1 Gaming

SSD-Kingston SSDnow 240GB

HDD-Segate Barracuda 1TB

PSU-Zalman ZM 550w Goldrock Semi-Modular psu

CHASSIS-ThermalTake Core X31

I like MX-4, but NT-H1, IC diamond, gelid, thermal grizzly etc.. are good too.

TBH there is no significant difference between any of them.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

I like MX-4, but NT-H1, IC diamond, gelid, thermal grizzly etc.. are good too.

TBH there is no significant difference between any of them.

yeah ive seen reviews of thermal paste thats why i got silver 5 in the first place cause of the stability but ic diamond and mx4 seem to get better temps so im kinda stuck on what to get.

CPU-I7 4790

MOBO-Gigabyte Z97 HD3

HDD-Segate Barracuda 1TB

6 minutes ago, TheOnlinePotato said:

yeah ive seen reviews of thermal paste thats why i got silver 5 in the first place cause of the stability but ic diamond and mx4 seem to get better temps so im kinda stuck on what to get.

Are you gonna be OCing a lot?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Just now, bob51zhang said:

Are you gonna be OCing a lot?

well i have a locked cpu and no intention of cracking open my gpu so no. just after lower temps for more longevity.

CPU-I7 4790

MOBO-Gigabyte Z97 HD3

HDD-Segate Barracuda 1TB

Just now, TheOnlinePotato said:

well i have a locked cpu and no intention of cracking open my gpu so no. just after lower temps for more longevity.

TBH those few degrees won't impact CPU longevity in any meaningful way, and by the time it does, you'll probably have already upgraded.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Just now, bob51zhang said:

TBH those few degrees won't impact CPU longevity in any meaningful way, and by the time it does, you'll probably have already upgraded.

might get a new rig with oc and need some thermal paste just want some just in case you know.

CPU-I7 4790

MOBO-Gigabyte Z97 HD3

HDD-Segate Barracuda 1TB

Gelid GC extreme through my research seems to provide the best temps give or take 1-2C

for a locked CPU, any normal thermal paste will work.

if you want the absolute best, get what people here have recommended, but don't waste it on a locked CPU.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I have been  using IC Diamond now for the past 7 years and love it. Here is a video that is testing a ton of different pastes I found with a quick google search. I have not watched the video personally as my ISP has a massive fiber outage in my area so I am only getting about 1-3 Mbps down instead of my usual 60 so no bandwidth to watch it right now without stuttering and buffering constantly.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

20 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

I am only getting about 1-3 Mbps down instead of my usual 60

Lol 1-3mbps is good where i live.

CPU-I7 4790

MOBO-Gigabyte Z97 HD3

HDD-Segate Barracuda 1TB

7 minutes ago, TheOnlinePotato said:

Lol 1-3mbps is good where i live.

Yea, it sucks for me lol... they had 3 100gig core links go down from a bad network card as well as 2 of the 3 were cut because someone was digging without getting lines marked from the proper authorities...

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

Yea, it sucks for me lol... they had 3 100gig core links go down from a bad network card as well as 2 of the 3 were cut because someone was digging without getting lines marked from the proper authorities...

what an idiot. sad thing for me a city which is only 40ks down the road gets 1gig download while the rural areas only get 1-3megs at exorbitant prices 

CPU-I7 4790

MOBO-Gigabyte Z97 HD3

HDD-Segate Barracuda 1TB