My First Build... won't start up

foster016

Let me start by saying that this is my very first build so please pardon my inexperience.  Below are all of the parts I have ordered and put together.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yK7DKZ

I put everything together last night and connected all the power.  I connected an HDMI cord to the graphics card and fired up the system, but I can't get anything to show up on my monitor.  Anybody have ANY idea what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,

1 minute ago, foster016 said:

Let me start by saying that this is my very first build so please pardon my inexperience.  Below are all of the parts I have ordered and put together.

I put everything together last night and connected all the power.  I connected an HDMI cord to the graphics card and fired up the system, but I can't get anything to show up on my monitor.  Anybody have ANY idea what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Have you got the latest BIOS update? 

On Z170 boards you have to update the BIOS to use Kaby Lake, you'll have to find a Skylake to do this. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Go over the cable plugs again and make sure everything is connected. The parts are compatible to each other.

double check the cable

make sure the GPU power is connected correctly and in the PCI e slot fine. 

if that doesn't work swap the slot the GPU is in

if that doesn't work, remove the GPU and see if will post to the screen

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Have you got the latest BIOS update? 

On Z170 boards you have to update the BIOS to use Kaby Lake, you'll have to find a Skylake to do this. 

Try that as well

3 minutes ago, foster016 said:

Thanks,

Can You please send us so photos of the internals?

IM BACK BABY

Do the fans spin?

Your bios might be still set on your onboard graphics.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

Fans are spinning.

I can't update the BIOS if I can't get anything to display on my monitor.  My monitor is in working condition too.

I checked all of the connections to make sure everything was plugged in all the way.

Connect your monitor to the motherboard's connection.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

1 minute ago, LUUD18 said:

Connect your monitor to the motherboard's connection.

I tried that too, that didn't work.  I've also tried using the display ports on both the graphics card an motherboard.

And if you remove the GPU?

Just now, LUUD18 said:

And if you remove the GPU?

What would that accomplish?  Will the motherboard display anything without a GPU?  Removing the CPU is my last resort as I already have the liquid cooler installed and don't want to have to deal with removing and reapplying thermal paste.

GPU = Graphics card.

2 minutes ago, foster016 said:

What would that accomplish?

Removing the gpu  and plugging your video cable into the motherboard provided connection will force your system to output from integrated graphics. Instead of dedicated graphics from your graphics card.

Edit: New processors these days have the capability of providing graphics.

2 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

GPU = Graphics card.

Wow, sorry I read it as CPU.  I need more coffee.

Alright, when I get home I'll try to remove the graphics card and test the integrated graphics.

Thank you all for your help so far.

yeah looks like its only 6th gen ready not 7th gen, as original reply said, if you can grab a USB stick and borrow someone elses PC for 5 minutes you should be fine in no time, once you grab the newest BIOS update for your mobo.

make sure the hdmi is plugged right in.. or try a different cable.. DVI for example..

if the system itself is on.. it can be the connection from your pc to monitor

3 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

yeah looks like its only 6th gen ready not 7th gen, as original reply said, if you can grab a USB stick and borrow someone elses PC for 5 minutes you should be fine in no time, once you grab the newest BIOS update for your mobo.

I've got a laptop and a USB stick I can use.  I'm assuming I can just go out and download the latest BIOS update for 7th gen onto the USB stick.  Then what?

5 minutes ago, DemonicHeart said:

make sure the hdmi is plugged right in.. or try a different cable.. DVI for example..

if the system itself is on.. it can be the connection from your pc to monitor

I've tried two different HDMI cables and DisplayPort cable.

I've tried two different HDMI cables and DisplayPort cable.

try putting the graphics card in a different slot... make sure it is seated correctly

I've got a laptop and a USB stick I can use.  I'm assuming I can just go out and download the latest BIOS update for 7th gen onto the USB stick.  Then what?

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z170-PRO/HelpDesk_CPU/

download that, unpack\extract\unzip what haveyou to the USB drive. but the worst part here is, this is as far as u can go for a bit cos its not going to start with out a skylake CPU...

actually, how close is the nearest PC shop to you and how much love do you think they will show you ?
id probably take in the PC with the BIOS update and ask them if they can drop a skylake in it to update the bios. if they are decent enough people they will do it with out and hassles

4 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z170-PRO/HelpDesk_CPU/

download that, unpack\extract\unzip what haveyou to the USB drive. but the worst part here is, this is as far as u can go for a bit cos its not going to start with out a skylake CPU...

actually, how close is the nearest PC shop to you and how much love do you think they will show you ?
id probably take in the PC with the BIOS update and ask them if they can drop a skylake in it to update the bios. if they are decent enough people they will do it with out and hassles

You can't even start the motherboard BIOS without an older CPU?  I figured that I could at least boot the BIOS and then update it even with the Kaby Lake.

Just now, foster016 said:

You can't even start the motherboard BIOS without an older CPU?  I figured that I could at least boot the BIOS and then update it even with the Kaby Lake.

well if that was the case then you wouldn't need the bios update, if you have a older 1151 CPU about yes you can use that, drop it in and then update.