My First Build... won't start up

foster016
5 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

well if that was the case then you wouldn't need the bios update, if you have a older 1151 CPU about yes you can use that, drop it in and then update.

Unfortunately I don't.  Could I just buy an extremely cheap and old 1151 CPU and try that?  I'm assuming I don't NEED a Sky Lake CPU.

Just now, foster016 said:

Unfortunately I don't.  Could I just buy an extremely cheap and old 1151 CUP and try that?  I'm assuming I don't NEED a Sky Lake CPU.

so long as it isn't a kabylake it shoulds be fine to do that.
also jump on youtube and watch a bios flash vid, its very easy and straight forwards, just watching a vid could help set ya mind at ease

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-kaby-lake-bios-update,32813.html

" If you plan to purchase one of these motherboards for a new Kaby Lake CPU in the future, you will want to make sure that it supports Asus’s USB BIOS Flash Back utility. The utility will enable you to update the BIOS without a CPU or RAM installed. Otherwise, you will also need to purchase a Skylake CPU to update the BIOS, assuming the board doesn’t come with the update pre-installed. "

do some research on your board, see what it has first, (check its spec page and crap on the manufacturers site), but yeah its possible you will need that CPU.... upside is you have a spare cpu lol

Alright, sounds like I ultimately need to figure out what BIOS version my motherboard shipped with.  If it's not the latest version, which supports Kaby Lake, I'll need to figure out a way to get the BIOS updated.

1 minute ago, foster016 said:

Alright, sounds like I ultimately need to figure out what BIOS version my motherboard shipped with.  If it's not the latest version, which supports Kaby Lake, I'll need to figure out a way to get the BIOS updated.

pretty much, thou for future reference, always check compatibility. RAM, CPU, BIOS, all things that getr pluged into a mobo should be checked for compatibility. also grab yaself a spare thermal paste tube. never hurts to carry some spare, and by end of the yr id replace the TP on the CPU. just to keep it in good order.

but yeah have a gander in ya mobos specs and info, and just get a cheap asf cpu if you have too, but id be inclined to take it into a shop an say "hey buddy i need a BIOS update on this mobo to run kabylake" and if they are any good at there job and not a complete worthless useless prick like one of the guys in my town you will be up an running in no time at all. shouldn't cost more then a CPU to have done anyways, it shold litterally be 5-10 minutes tops, BUT if you do buy another CPU.... grab some more cheap asf parts and make yaself a HTPC or something. or sell it,

check your MB has q-flash or what ever asus call it were u can upfate the bios via usb without the cpu in the board if it dosnt u need a skylake cpu to update the bios from asus website and then u can use yr kabylake 1

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

I had a quick look (Ctrl+F) on Asus' website for this board I couldn't see anything about it supporting the Asus Flash Back utility, so you probably would need a Skylake CPU to boot it to BIOS. When I first built a PC I had this exact situation (Ivybridge CPU in a Sandybride Mobo) and a Bios update later it worked fine. As others have said see if you can borrow one from a shop or tech repair shop

Edit: If you don't want to fork out the $40-$50 for the cheapest Skylake you can find. Ebay sellers often have replacement Chips for sale which you can swap out. Here is an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-for-ASUS-Z170-PRO-Z170-PRO-GAMING-Z170M-E-D3-SABERTOOTH-Z170-MARK-1-/131602742193 
I have never personally had to do this so your experience may vary but it could be a cheaper option for you if you are unable to borrow a Skylake Chip.

2 hours ago, ArcThanatos said:

https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/Z170-PRO/HelpDesk_CPU/

download that, unpack\extract\unzip what haveyou to the USB drive. but the worst part here is, this is as far as u can go for a bit cos its not going to start with out a skylake CPU...

actually, how close is the nearest PC shop to you and how much love do you think they will show you ?
id probably take in the PC with the BIOS update and ask them if they can drop a skylake in it to update the bios. if they are decent enough people they will do it with out and hassles

2 hours ago, foster016 said:

You can't even start the motherboard BIOS without an older CPU?  I figured that I could at least boot the BIOS and then update it even with the Kaby Lake.

I had to deal with this on a Z87 board.  It wasn't ready for the Haswell Refresh chips which is what I had.  I wound up having to purchase a cheap non haswell refresh chip to update the bios.  Once I did that I had no issues.  

And as he said.  If you have a good pc shop near you they should help you out with a small fee.  Unlike where I'm at where they stared at me like I was an alien creature.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

7 hours ago, Zusafek said:

Unlike where I'm at where they stared at me like I was an alien creature.  

look any techie worth his salt should know how to do a bios update, and keep up with hardware.
i designed a listed a computer for a mate, but i like 1500Kms away so he had someone else build it.... and they never installed the M.2 because of incompetence, they first told him it needs a case, then said it wasn't made for the mobo, then told him it needed special software once installed, i told him to tell old mate to "sack himself as he is bloody garbage at his job or give me his number and ill flame him"... (the guy who built it tried to tell my mate that the PC could of been designed better and wasn't going to be great for gaming... then pulled the who cant install a m.2 excuses. [6700k asus maximus vii 2Tb SSHD 500Gb evo SSD 250 m.2 16Gb RAM, 240 AIO etc.] i was about ready to drive 1500km and knock this filthy casuals block off tradie style)

if you don't have a techy like this then you should be sweet. im not going to say i know everything, still alot to learn, but i have found that i know more then half the people in the i.t retail shops. at least here in AU

UPDATE:

Removed the GPU and everything else so right now all I have setup is the motherboard, Koby Lake Processor, RAM, and CPU cooler (liquid).  I connected power to the motherboard and CPU and tried to give it a shot with no GPU and NO DICE.  I connected a pair of headphones and didn't hear any beeps.

Before I go about purchasing or trying a Sky Lake processor, can the motherboard display anything on the monitor without the processor?  Sorry if that's a dumb question.  I just find it odd that even with a Koby Lake processor, nothing is displaying on my monitor at all.

Thanks,

post beeps (post codes) shuold come from the motherboard speaker, or u might have to plug one in, consult your manual for either front IO config and see if there is a plug for the speaker... but most new mobos have a tiny inbuilt speaker. umm without a CPU no display no nothing, mobos wont run with out a CPU. if you remove your ram and its not beeping, then it is a completely CPU issue, as one its not noticing the CPU is there... and there for not seeing the ram either

It's a CPU issue for sure.  I'm assuming the CPU issue is why I don't hear beeps too.  From what I've read, it sounds like the only way to get the MOBO BIOS updated is with a Skylake CPU, bummer.  Anybody have any recommendations where I can find a cheap one?

1 minute ago, foster016 said:

It's a CPU issue for sure.  I'm assuming the CPU issue is why I don't hear beeps too.  From what I've read, it sounds like the only way to get the MOBO BIOS updated is with a Skylake CPU, bummer.  Anybody have any recommendations where I can find a cheap one?

what country do you live in ?

Just now, ArcThanatos said:

what country do you live in ?

United States

righto, good news, your CPU's are heaps cheaper then mine are lol, if you can wait a few days or so, Amazon or Newegg. ill have a quick look

Just now, ArcThanatos said:

righto, good news, your CPU's are heaps cheaper then mine are lol, if you can wait a few days or so, Amazon or Newegg. ill have a quick look

Thanks!  I already have some thermal paste remover coming on Saturday.  I also have a tube of thermal paste for when I reinstall the Kaby Lake processor.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117619&cm_re=1151-_-19-117-619-_-Product

something like this will do just fine for what you are needing. thermal paste remove... isopropyl alcohol and lint free cloth.
make sure you get some good thermal paste BTW, cheap stuff will not work well, good stuff is well worth the price.

UPDATE:

After work yesterday I ran out and bought an Intel I3 6100 processor for $110.  I was told they'd accept a full refund within 30 days as long as I don't damage the processor.  I got home, removed my Kaby Lake, dropped in the Skylake, hooked everything up, and booted up.  Sure enough, it worked!  My Mobo shipped with BIOS version 0224 and I was able to update it to version 3007.  After doing so, I removed the Skylake processor and put the Kaby Lake back in and it started up just fine.

Kind of annoying that there is no other way to update the BIOS other than with a CPU that works on the BIOS version the mobo shipped with.  I'm just glad I figured it out, thanks for your help!

Now that I've got my OS installed and drivers updated, does anybody have any recommendations for testing out my new system?