Nintendo Switch Game Lineup

Sniperfox47

Am I missing something here?

Ithought the whole reason why the switch was put off until March was to have a stronger launch lineup?

I thought Nintendo was stoked about getting more third party developers on the platform with easy to use developer toolkits to encourage more studios to port their games?

Isn't the launch lineup even smaller than with the Wii-U? Even including Japan exclusive titles at the moment there's only a handful of games, mostly indie titles and then a bunch of NeoGeo ports. That may include a few first party big names like Breath of the Wilds and the Splatoon Live Testfire Demo, but in terms of numbers there's shockingly few. PlayStation VR had more launch titles in the west than this new Nintendo console has worldwide...

Even looking at the confirmed titles for 2017, the list seems increadibly skimpy.

What am I missing here? Where is the result of the efforts to make the Switch more accessible to third party devs? When are we going to see other big name studios jumping on board?

they are saying they worke on title for the switch i don t know when they are comeing but the come probably at some time

It was launched because the hardware was finalised in mid 2016, the console was ready for mass production with only the OS to finalise. The console itself and a handful of games (Including Zelda) was ready to go by the target of March 2017 so why not release it, its not like the hardware was going to improve. Only the OS has room for updates now.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

10 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Even looking at the confirmed titles for 2017, the list seems increadibly skimpy. What am I missing here? Where is the result of the efforts to make the Switch more accessible to third party devs? When are we going to see other big name studios jumping on board?

When comparing it to previous console launches you need to remember one big thing. A lot of the big games for the end of the year aren't announced until E3. As it stands the first 12 months of the Switch look comparable in terms of quantity vs the Wii U for first party output. It slaughters the Wii U in terms of quality in that regard but is handily beaten in terms of annualised third party franchises. That's how things stand as of today.

But we're on the wrong side of E3 to make a judgement of what the Switch's holiday lineup will be like. And the releases that have been confirmed for the Switch so far bundle more towards the first half of the year. Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms and Splatoon are all first half of the year games. The second half of the year has less content confirmed aside from the obvious fact that Super Mario Odyssey is a pretty big deal on its own. But there's a very huge possibility that there's something else we don't know about yet.

In terms of third parties? We don't know about the big third party releases for the end of this year in general. They can't confirm that the next Battlefield, CoD or Assassin's Creed is or isn't on Switch if they haven't announced those games yet. So it's probably best to wait a bit before we start making assumptions there. And even if none of those games come Nintendo's way? As a Nintendo fan I don't care because Mario is still a thing. As a PC gamer I don't care because I'll have access to them anyways. The only thing that would be slightly annoying is the fact that if they don't come I won't have the option to play them on a portable system. Which would be a nice option to have.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

13 minutes ago, skywake said:

When comparing it to previous console launches you need to remember one big thing. A lot of the big games for the end of the year aren't announced until E3. As it stands the first 12 months of the Switch look comparable in terms of quantity vs the Wii U for first party output. It slaughters the Wii U in terms of quality in that regard but is handily beaten in terms of annualised third party franchises. That's how things stand as of today.

But we're on the wrong side of E3 to make a judgement of what the Switch's holiday lineup will be like. And the releases that have been confirmed for the Switch so far bundle more towards the first half of the year. Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms and Splatoon are all first half of the year games. The second half of the year has less content confirmed aside from the obvious fact that Super Mario Odyssey is a pretty big deal on its own. But there's a very huge possibility that there's something else we don't know about yet.

In terms of third parties? We don't know about the big third party releases for the end of this year in general. They can't confirm that the next Battlefield, CoD or Assassin's Creed is or isn't on Switch if they haven't announced those games yet. So it's probably best to wait a bit before we start making assumptions there. And even if none of those games come Nintendo's way? As a Nintendo fan I don't care because Mario is still a thing. As a PC gamer I don't care because I'll have access to them anyways. The only thing that would be slightly annoying is the fact that if they don't come I won't have the option to play them on a portable system. Which would be a nice option to have.

Ah, I completely forgot about the e3 launches. Used to consoles that launch around holiday season that makes sense. Guess I'll have to wait until December as see how things go.

As far as quality on the Wii-U, all I need on my switch is Zombie-U :P

On 3/15/2017 at 0:23 PM, Sniperfox47 said:

Ithought the whole reason why the switch was put off until March was to have a stronger launch lineup?

It is more complicated than that. While this is all my speculation, I think that Nintendo didn't want to compete against the PS4 Pro and XBox One S. Waiting until the end of 2017, would mean competing against the XBox Scorpio. Also, Nintendo needed to show high sales number for third party support. See, third party support will come regardless of the hardware specs (see 3DS), if you have the numbers. March was picked because no one has money in Jan, Feb, to buy things, as the holidays just past. So March was picked to maximize sales.

I thought Nintendo was stoked about getting more third party developers on the platform with easy to use developer toolkits to encourage more studios to port their games?

They do (as so it is said), but you have to remember that games don't take 1 year to make (unless you are working on a second title of a series based on the same game engine). Usually AAA games takes 3 to 5 years to make, depending on the size of the game and size of the team (more people you have, the faster the game is moving along)

Isn't the launch lineup even smaller than with the Wii-U? Even including Japan exclusive titles at the moment there's only a handful of games, mostly indie titles and then a bunch of NeoGeo ports. That may include a few first party big names like Breath of the Wilds and the Splatoon Live Testfire Demo, but in terms of numbers there's shockingly few. PlayStation VR had more launch titles in the west than this new Nintendo console has worldwide...

ka49yasvesly.jpg

What am I missing here? Where is the result of the efforts to make the Switch more accessible to third party devs? When are we going to see other big name studios jumping on board?

Wait for E3. And normally, AAA games aren't released in summer, because sales are low (great number of people go on trips).