PCIx8 to PCIx16 conversion?

H0R53

I have 2 GPUs in my system. One is a GTX 1050ti SSC and the other is a GTX 460, and both are very fantastic cards. However I may migrate to a Dell Precision workstation with 2 Xeon CPUs if it turns out more powerful than my current rig (doubtful, my i5 is pretty wicked). The only caveat here is that it's only got 1 x16 GPU slot, the rest are x8. I don't want to buy anything more than I need to. The 460 outputs on 2 1280x1024 displays and the 1050 outputs onto a single 1440x900 display. I like having this space as I can move windows across all three screens and my job is actually easier when I'm not alt+tab-ing or win+tab-ing through 4 or 5 different windows. I can have my research on Chrome on one monitor, my game making software on the middle one and Windows Explorer on the third.

Is it a viable solution to use a PCIx8 to PCIx16 converter or do those generally not work?

8x physical to 16x physical? Yes. 

8x electrical to 16x electrical? Not a chance. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

not possible, at least I don't think.

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

Depends on how you're running it.  I've seens some situations where it runs pretty good.  Physical space is usually the bigger issue.  Which model Precision?  I use, and have used, several of these.  My Plex server is a T5500 with dual Hex Xeon X5670 2.93GHz and 144GB DDR3R.

as far as i know, all GPUs currently on the market can run in an x8 slot.

if the physical slot is X8, and it doesnt have an open back to accept x16 cards (a pretty common thing), you can just cut it open yourself if you're careful enough.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

as far as i know, all GPUs currently on the market can run in an x8 slot.

if the physical slot is X8, and it doesnt have an open back to accept x16 cards (a pretty common thing), you can just cut it open yourself if you're careful enough.

I was coming to the same conclusion.  The problem on some of those Dell Precision machine is component location.  Need to make sure there's enough clearance and space from capacitors and whatnot.  But absolutely doable in some instances.

Just now, Doramius said:

I was coming to the same conclusion.  The problem on some of those Dell Precision machine is component location.  But absolutely doable in some instances.

i've had great luck with some of my HP workstations, but yeah, they sometimes like to put caps in silly places :P

Just now, manikyath said:

i've had great luck with some of my HP workstations, but yeah, they sometimes like to put caps in silly places :P

The HPs tend to be wider cases.  I do like a lot of their layouts.  Problems I had, have been with CPU upgrade-ability.  Most of them were limited to quad Xeons.  I knew many would still take a Hex and work, but it wasn't supported under HP warranty and my company wasn't willing to risk the cost if there was a failure.  Cheap-ass financial dept. doesn't like to take risks.  :dry:

a4650141_Opened20PCI-E20slot.jpeg

As long as the slot looks like the left one in the back, and not the center, you'll be fine.  

It will work, but you'll need an adapter ( unless the slot is open on the side) You wont get the full bandwidth of 16x electrical, but it shouldn't matter. 

Currently running my 290x of a 1x slot. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

It's a Precision 690 with 2 Xeon X5355s and 16GB of RAM, gonna upgrade it to 32 soon. My main rig is in my sig. I have a GTX 650 in the only x16 slot. If I use an xActo blade and cut the end off the x8 slot, would it work? I have my 460 dedicated to PhysX while my 1050 ti SSC does the leg work.

• 2 weeks later...