Snowden on WikiLeaks Year Zero: Evidence US govt pays to keep 'software unsafe'

Delicieuxz
2 hours ago, tlink said:

vice had a really interesting interview with snowden where he mentioned some very interesting independent researches that basically concluded that mass spying had prevented zero terrorist attacks. didn't get to look further into it yet but here's the video if anyone's interested. 

They would be spying on us for a reason, there's no reason to spend billions if they're only going to analyze 330 million regular people all day. I'm sure they've found out about attacks and have either stopped them without informing us or allowed them to continue so the military manufacturing companies could continue to make money.

If anyone is interested, this guy does pretty good breakdowns on stuff like this.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

All the data companies like Facebook, Microsoft, Google and way more, definately have a backdoor that these companies turn a blind eye too. Then they get special favors without a debt either from the IRS or what have you. The talking heads on CNN, the so called "experts" or "retired" people will lie to your face and not even blink.

8 hours ago, theninja35 said:

They would be spying on us for a reason, there's no reason to spend billions if they're only going to analyze 330 million regular people all day. I'm sure they've found out about attacks and have either stopped them without informing us or allowed them to continue so the military manufacturing companies could continue to make money.

it was an internal investigation hired by the government themselves, why would they put two independent research firms on it and then not give them information supporting their claim that illegal spying stopped terrorist attacks? its the best argument they could give against the report, yet they didn't, not even internally. 

7 hours ago, Okjoek said:

The former CIA/NSA chief apparently thinks Millennials are to blame for not having the same sense of "loyalty"

https://www.rt.com/usa/379913-cia-wikileaks-hayden-millennials/

anyone using terms like millennial and other strauss-howe generational theory terminology unironically instantly lose my respect. not that that guy had any worth left in my eyes to be fair.

20 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

UK is very much part of Europe.

They are not the model of Europe though, the politically progressive countries such as Germany, Ireland, France, Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries better represent Europe's collective ideals. UK has often been taking steps backwards, especially under their previous administration.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 minute ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

Didn't russia create its own Windows-like-OS with other programs for this very reason? In doing so complying major companies to use it and warn the public to adopt this system fro the same reason mentioned above?

Yes, they did. Windows 10 was a security concern, and so it was prohibited from usage on government computers. Russia has the right idea, I think. Any software that the CIA can exploit is going to be used to gather information from the USA's rivals.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 hours ago, tlink said:

anyone using terms like millennial and other strauss-howe generational theory terminology unironically instantly lose my respect. not that that guy had any worth left in my eyes to be fair.

I completely agree. terms to classify entire groups based on time of birth are stupid on their own, but are just plain awful when people use them as derogatory ammunition. 

On 3/8/2017 at 6:01 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

Why is this such a big deal? Consumers are the ones who purchase this stuff without a care in the world about security. Their lives are all over FB, Twitter, Instagram, and Blogs/Forums.  Anything that can be connected to the internet and hacked is going to be hacked. Should the US or any government try to hack them? Absolutely yes. Find vulnerabilities before the next guy so you know what the threats are against yourself.

On 3/8/2017 at 6:01 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

And for the record, I think Snowden is a ... " He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless steaming pile of cow dung, figuratively speaking." ... Or maybe more literally speaking...

18 hours ago, theninja35 said:

And this, kids, is why this shit happens, and will continue to happen...

10 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

They are not the model of Europe though, the politically progressive countries such as Germany, Ireland, France, Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries better represent Europe's collective ideals. UK has often been taking steps backwards, especially under their previous administration.

Maybe collective ideals can't swim :P 

Its nice to know things but when know its not chamging anything thats really heartbrraking :(

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

And this, kids, is why this shit happens, and will continue to happen...

Maybe collective ideals can't swim :P 

If you're not going to provide evidence or even a statement to change my way of thinking or answer my question, why respond?

How is this surprising? The government pays apartment complexes in Richmond VA to exclude me from living there because the rent is too cheap, and I make "too much money". Apparently $800 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment is affordable for someone who makes $11 an hour.

We wonder why our system is broken and failing, and all we do is shout slogans at one another, instead of looking at the problems that are right in front of and the majority of us have to deal with on a daily basis.

18 hours ago, theninja35 said:

If you're not going to provide evidence or even a statement to change my way of thinking or answer my question, why respond?

With respect to some of the Snowden leaks there have not been any reports of any terrorist attacks thwarted by their spying. Now for the CIA.

There was also and article that was on a thread right here on LTT forums where there have been cases where the FBI has let people go because they wanted to keep how they got their evidence private.

Even in the Snowden leaks they people in NSA were passing around photos of private citizen scooped up in their snooping. It shows that they have the capability, and if they have the capability they are doing it. That's how governments work of the major superpowers works.

Now the CIA is obviously a different organization, but they are still organizations ran by people if you think they aren't overreaching, then you're just naive.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

On 3/8/2017 at 11:01 AM, Ryujin2003 said:

snip..

nobody needs their privacy and rights until they do. if you dont move you wont notice your chains but you never know when you might need those rights and there are people out there who need them like whistleblowers 

31 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

nobody needs their privacy and rights until they do. if you dont move you wont notice your chains but you never know when you might need those rights and there are people out there who need them like whistleblowers 

Then we can both exercise our rights to have different beliefs and opinions in this topic. We have had different life experiences, so my view of whistleblowers is much different from yours.

The same is to be said on our interpretation of rights.

On 08/03/2017 at 6:01 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

Should the US or any government try to hack them? Absolutely yes. Find vulnerabilities before the next guy so you know what the threats are against yourself.

How about this? : Find vulnerabilities before the next guy and report them to the responsible company, so that they can fix these vulnerabilities and stop anyone from exploiting them against yourself, your citizens and the rest of the world's population.

9 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

How about this? : Find vulnerabilities before the next guy and report them to the responsible company, so that they can fix these vulnerabilities and stop anyone from exploiting them against yourself, your citizens and the rest of the world's population.

Yes, that sounds fine. However, at the same time, even if the US government did that, people would still be upset the government is hacking things.

But at the same time, would this be conflict of interest? Would the US then be only obligated to US based companies? What about foreign companies?

11 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

But at the same time, would this be conflict of interest? Would the US then be only obligated to US based companies? What about foreign companies?

Well ...

In the wake of Edward Snowden's leaks about the NSA, the U.S. technology industry secured a commitment from the Obama administration that the executive would disclose on an ongoing basis — rather than hoard — serious vulnerabilities, exploits, bugs or "zero days" to Apple, Google, Microsoft, and other US-based manufacturers.

So they did plan to report vulnerabilities to US-based companies only. 

But the CIA ended up not even doing that.  As the recent leak revealed, they did hoard these vulnerabilities to exploit them rather than disclosing them to these companies so they could be fixed. 

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Well ...

So they did plan to report vulnerabilities to US-based companies only. 

But the CIA ended up not even doing that.  As the recent leak revealed, they did hoard these vulnerabilities to exploit them rather than disclosing them to these companies so they could be fixed. 

Well, the order says serious vulnerabilities. Maybe these aren't serious....

I'm not really up for debating this. I've got my opinions and you guys have yours. Should these vulnerabilities be fixed, yes. Should the US or any government feel obligated to release all of its activity and purpose to the citizens and the world, absolutely not.

But again, different backgrounds and experiences develop different opinions.

Another good video

3 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Well, the order says serious vulnerabilities. Maybe these aren't serious....

I'm not really up for debating this. I've got my opinions and you guys have yours. Should these vulnerabilities be fixed, yes. Should the US or any government feel obligated to release all of its activity and purpose to the citizens and the world, absolutely not.

But again, different backgrounds and experiences develop different opinions.

If a government can't do it publicly, they shouldn't be doing it at all.

6 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Then we can both exercise our rights to have different beliefs and opinions in this topic. We have had different life experiences, so my view of whistleblowers is much different from yours.

The same is to be said on our interpretation of rights.

and did i say anything about taking away your right?

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Another good video

If a government can't do it publicly, they shouldn't be doing it at all.

There is no disagree button, so here is your official Linus Media dislike.

Yes, certain policies and stuff of course, but matters of intelligence, no. Totally disagree.