Windows 9

My college gave us licensed copies of 8.1 Embedded through Dreamspark...been using it on my main gaming PC for a few years now.  I just checked, still available as a download.

Hi there, 

I'm the original Win9 creator (the one that inspired this video). I work at a retirement home and in my spare time I run EastCoast.Hosting.

The original intent for Windows 9 was to keep the user experience the same as windows 7, think elderly/stubborn people, etc. I also wanted to remove as much bloat as possible, this is my one gripe about Win 8 and up. I'm still mad that friggin candy crush is pre-installed on 10 Enterprise. What is M$ thinking?!

I've made a custom 10 osimage (http://imgur.com/a/IdDK1), but its kinda designed for work. I cant really share that one. It doesn't have a straight up win7 theme, but its debloated and many of the metro modern crap is removed in favor of windows 7 like menus (such as replacing the personalization panel, and the older volume control, etc). Also I've found that 10's build upgrades nuke the tweaks, so I've set up a WSUS server that allows everything thru except the build upgrades. 

The intent for both of these isn't performance, but ease of use and familiarity (and low memory usage because old people have old computers).

By the way, LTT is removing posts that discuss Windows 9, not just links. A whole conversation I was in while in this thread a few days ago was deleted, even ones that just talked about EULAs, whether we're allowed to redistribute custom Windows images or not, and how to legally get a license for Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro. So don't post anything like that unless you want it removed.

I was reading the wrong thread, my posts are actually intact here

Im going to copy paste this over from my youtube comment...

So because you didnt answer it in the video, what has happened with the telemetry? You mention that windows embedded has no telemetry, but what of your 9.5 "edition" vs 10 native call home. Also how do these fixes work on windows 10 home vs pro editions. It was my understanding that windows 10 home couldnt actually change registry values to working results, but, i dont know if that has changed. I use windows 10 pro and group policy to do most of my changes anyways.

Not quite the Windows 9 I had expected.

I do know that Windows 9 does exist, I've even used it, unfortunately I don't have the ISO for it anymore... (Microsoft had it up on their website months ago, but I can't find it now..)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 4:48 PM, jfarre20 said:

Hi there, 

I'm the original Win9 creator (the one that inspired this video). I work at a retirement home and in my spare time I run EastCoast.Hosting.

The original intent for Windows 9 was to keep the user experience the same as windows 7, think elderly/stubborn people, etc. I also wanted to remove as much bloat as possible, this is my one gripe about Win 8 and up. I'm still mad that friggin candy crush is pre-installed on 10 Enterprise. What is M$ thinking?!

I've made a custom 10 osimage (http://imgur.com/a/IdDK1), but its kinda designed for work. I cant really share that one. It doesn't have a straight up win7 theme, but its debloated and many of the metro modern crap is removed in favor of windows 7 like menus (such as replacing the personalization panel, and the older volume control, etc). Also I've found that 10's build upgrades nuke the tweaks, so I've set up a WSUS server that allows everything thru except the build upgrades. 

The intent for both of these isn't performance, but ease of use and familiarity (and low memory usage because old people have old computers).

Hey, I just created an account to reply to this, so I hope you are still around!

I am super interested in your custom 10 image. I am trying to make the switch to Linux (and have for the most part) but just set up a Windows 10 virtualbox as a necessity for some work things. I do not like Windows 10 though and definitely like the screenshot you have attached. Is there any way possible that you would be able to strip out what makes it unshareable so that I could give it a shot?

Figured it was worth a shot to reach out - definitely jealous at your ability to do this stuff!

20 hours ago, CreateChange said:

Is there any way possible that you would be able to strip out what makes it unshareable so that I could give it a shot?

Not really... I don't really track what changes I make to the system - so I might accidentally leave something in there that gives away my work or something that can allow M$ to hunt me down and sue.

I found that server 2016 is a nice start for a clean win10. No junk and more control of updates.

All you'd need to do after install is run an anti spying tool, find a start replacement, maybe some icon tweaks, set up oldnewexplorer and you basically got the above screenshot. 

For more stuff, you can follow various guides online on how to restore the personalization panel, taskmgr, volume control, right click menu, etc. 

Then lots of Group policy tweaks to disable annoyances.

3 hours ago, jfarre20 said:

Not really... I don't really track what changes I make to the system - so I might accidentally leave something in there that gives away my work or something that can allow M$ to hunt me down and sue.

Definitely would not want that - I very much so understand the value of privacy. I appreciate the jumping off point you gave me and will try to explore doing some of that when I can find the time.

Thanks!

I WOULD LIKE LINUS TO MAKE MY WINDOWS 10 look like Windows 7 and do all those tweaks for me and make Windows 10 AS LIGHT AS ABSOLUTELY POSSIBLE or maybe someone else can do it for me!

WINDOWS 7 STYLED WINDOWS TEN.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 3/7/2017 at 2:48 PM, jfarre20 said:

Hi there, 

I really like your Win9 iso, I am trying to create one similar with a couple different options, I used MSMG to remove a few components and to integrate updates.

What I am not sure how to do:

how would I install Classic Shell automatically.

how would I install 7zip automatically?

I would like to apply my custom classic shell settings file. (believe I just need to know how to issue a command to copy that file)

I would also like to have a few registry settings changed, as well as a few services disabled.
If possibly I would also like to apply Basic windows 8.1 theme, which is a solid background color, custom color borders/taskbar, no sounds, no screensaver

(I saved the .DESKTHEMEPACK file, just not sure how to apply it.) I have tested this theme directly by setting my theme to something else, then double clicking this file, and it perfectly loads and applys my theme, just have to find a way to integrate the execution of this file on windows install.

Any help on how to accomplish any of this, such as which files to edit, or tools to use, or if you happen to know of any links to guides, all of my searches so far on google are coming up empty. I appreciate it.

On 3/7/2017 at 3:48 PM, jfarre20 said:

That is really cool. How do you deal with the various builds of Win10? Is it easy to update to the latest build or do you end up sticking with an older build past it's officially supported lifespan?

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

On 11/3/2017 at 6:58 PM, Gikero said:

That is really cool. How do you deal with the various builds of Win10? Is it easy to update to the latest build or do you end up sticking with an older build past it's officially supported lifespan?

You basically need to redo all the mods when there is a major Win10 build upgrade. I've gotten tired of redoing all the themes, and have gotten mostly used to the Win10 UI and theme - so my new builds are now mostly just privacy tweaks, ad and bloat removal, minor usability tweaks (classicshell, 7+ taskbar tweaker, oldnewexplorer), pre-configuration of settings, complete removal of modern apps and its subsystems, and some pre-installed software (such as Chrome and 7zip).

However, I've noticed that most of my tweaks on my 1703 image did stay when I upgraded it to 1709. I'm happy it didn't try to re-download candy crush or whatever. I hope build upgrades stay like this. 

If I were to make a custom 1709 installer, I'd probably re-tweak it from scratch. Upgrade installs can have weird quirks, and I wouldn't want to base my main installer on a potentially unstable upgraded image. 

On 11/3/2017 at 6:53 PM, xekon said:

I really like your Win9 iso, I am trying to create one similar with a couple different options, I used MSMG to remove a few components and to integrate updates.

What I am not sure how to do:

how would I install Classic Shell automatically.

how would I install 7zip automatically?

I would like to apply my custom classic shell settings file. (believe I just need to know how to issue a command to copy that file)

I would also like to have a few registry settings changed, as well as a few services disabled.
If possibly I would also like to apply Basic windows 8.1 theme, which is a solid background color, custom color borders/taskbar, no sounds, no screensaver

(I saved the .DESKTHEMEPACK file, just not sure how to apply it.) I have tested this theme directly by setting my theme to something else, then double clicking this file, and it perfectly loads and applys my theme, just have to find a way to integrate the execution of this file on windows install.

Any help on how to accomplish any of this, such as which files to edit, or tools to use, or if you happen to know of any links to guides, all of my searches so far on google are coming up empty. I appreciate it.

You need to google sysprep. Basically you install win10 on a vm, set it up as you want it, tweak the default profile, run sysprep and then capture using dism or imagex.

You then take that captured image, and use that to replace the install.wim or install.esd in your iso using winiso or some iso editor - and you're done.

• 1 year later...

Did we ever get a source for the Windows 9 install? I've been looking for it and have been unable to find it.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

• 4 weeks later...

I made it a while back ago, but I do have "Windows 9" sysprepped and ready to go. It is built with Win 10 Pro, so if you have a license for that, it should work just fine. This is an older build of Win10 and updates to Win10 may break the Win7 feel to it, therefore, by default, windows updates have been disabled upon install, and to activate, you will need to at least temporarily enable windows update and run the activation troubleshooting to get it to activate. If you want to keep the system looking like 7, you may want to disable updates again. Further, if you look at System Properties, you will notice it will identify this as Windows 9 as well, other tools and utilities will do the same. As nice as this is (or isn't), updates will break this and will report the system as Win10 once again.

Also, understand that Microsoft seems to have other ways to re enable windows updates regardless, so if you want to prevent updates, periodically check that they are still disabled. The version of Aero glass for Win8+ that is installed is an older version that will break with one of the windows updates. If you want to keep the affect, you will need to install a newer version from www.glass8.eu but understand this will display a watermark on the desktop and each time you boot to the desktop, will be prompted if you want to copy the device id. This is nagware, so you can completely ignore it, otherwise, you can donate to remove the watermark and nag. With that said, This should really be used in a test bed and not a prod environment.

This is an otherwise "clean" copy of Windows 10, it isn't pirated, "pre activated", "hacktivated", cracked, etc. Only modified to have a similar appearance of Windows 7. I will trust mods to deem if linking to the file is alright or not. Still waiting for the file to continue to upload to the cloud, look for a future message if interested.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhTa5pJK-8NhixW9lrw7GOjA5oNJ

My Rig:

Asus Strix Z270e Gaming MB | Intel Core i7 7700k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | 32GB Crucial Vengeance |
NVidia RTX 2080TI Founders Edition | WD Black 512GB NVMe; Samsung 512GB 850 EVO SSD; 1 TB WD Blue |
Asus ROG PG278Q 144Hz GSync 1440p monitor; ViewSonic VA2231w-LED | Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition Case

My Rig:

Asus Strix Z270e Gaming MB | Intel Core i7 7700k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | 32GB Crucial Vengeance |
NVidia RTX 2080TI Founders Edition | WD Black 512GB NVMe; Samsung 512GB 850 EVO SSD; 1 TB WD Blue |
Asus ROG PG278Q 144Hz GSync 1440p monitor; ViewSonic VA2231w-LED | Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition Case

5 minutes ago, T-Paste said:

You might wanna add that to your other post, just in case someone does not see the one above this one and think it’s a virus

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

24 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

You might wanna add that to your other post, just in case someone does not see the one above this one and think it’s a virus

Good call, thanks.

My Rig:

I use it, love it, perfect upgrade from win7, which is due to lose support shortly

EDIT

I use the one from eastcoasthosting

It's *considerably* less chatty and most, if not all the telemetry is gone from the outset. And what does try to phone home and be blocked without ill effect.

I've been running it now for ~3 months and have had no issues.

Zero. Plays steam, installs all my games, no issues. And supported until 2024, which is fantastic.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I ended up making it myself, but it would have random BSOD errors due to... I have no idea. Uninstalled all the W9 components and it was stable again. I have an image of my Windows 9 config so I can very easily make a new one if I were to need it. Thank you all!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

• 1 month later...

Hello LTT community hope you are all good.

First we would like to say thankyou to jfarre20 for the brilliant OS that is the Windows 9 mod.

Upon testing the OS, we see that if you install any program, the created desktop shortcut has a bunch of 'Unknown Accounts' tied to the security tab in properties?

For example if you install 'Ccleaner' and install with 'All Users' option, the desktop shortcut has a bunch of Unknown Accounts and an Interactive' account also? The Unknown Accounts have a red question mark next to them and they all have 'Special Permissions' allocated?

May I ask what exactly are these Unknown Accounts? We really want to use your OS but from 10 mins of testing we already have a security issue.

Upon searching for the Account string in Regedit we can see that there is 6 Accounts on the unit, 5 Unknown and my admin account.

Thankyou for your time and hope to speak soon.

I am in talks with HXRT900 to solve this. 

Its leftover trash from testing, not a security risk. 

It bothers me that there orphaned SIDs in my OS. I'll have it fixed for 1.9.7

It was great to speak with you jfarre20.

We are all eternally grateful for Windows 9.

Thankyou very much for your time and expertise, hope to speak soon.

Win9 1.97 is now live on the eastcoast.hosting site. If anyone finds any game breaking bugs or security issues, please let me know. This is my daily driver OS too.

Also have a look for what's maybe coming in 1.98 (if I can solve System File Checker (SFC) ruining it) image.png.019526be601a0b8404efbfca4d04d735.png