970 SLI

So I built a computer a year ago that, at its heart lies an i7 6700k clocked to 4.6 GHz and a GTX 970 G1 Gaming clocked up to 1404 MHz (Dang Gigabyte knows how to pick their chips), and while I love my computer, I feel like there's more to pull out of it, but I can't afford a shiny new 1070, much less a 1080 or 1080ti. However, I have been seeing 970 G1 Gaming cards going for <$200 on ebay, so my question is, would it be worth it to upgrade? Or is SLI scaling bad enough to just wait until I can afford a current gen gpu?

I had the same dilemma, upon further investigation SLI is still complete pants, some games benefit, some games dont, it's all over the place. So I saved up for a 1080 and bought one, relatively cheap MSI GTX 1080 Aero OC8. Much to my dismay a month after NVIDIA announced the 1080Ti and dropped the price by $100 of the 1080! GRRR

But now that I have a 1080 in there, I want to re do the whole PC, so saving up for something more high end.

All depends on the games and any other applications you'll be running. If they stuff you play works with SLI, then sure. But I would definitely look into it because SLI support really is a mess.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

SLI is on it's way out, only a handful of games will really benefit from SLI, and there will be issues like micro-stutter. In the future you'll see even less games support SLI it will probably disappear in a couple of years, and then you'll be sitting on some nice dead weight in your machine. This is from a gaming perspective though, I don't know what you use your computer for and you should probably telle us if you want some actual advise.

Honestly my computer is mostly just a gaming machine/home base for programming, but I'd be lying if I said I don't go back to trying to push my card even harder from time to time, trying to get a better Time Spy score, and I'm also going to be doing video editing for a friend's YouTube channel.