7700k vs 1700X

Strictly for gaming and everyday use? 7700k is cheaper.

I was pretty much sold on Ryzen until I saw those benchmarks: http://www.pcgamer.com/the-amd-ryzen-7-review/5/

Is it because those games were coded with Intel in mind? I know CPUs don't have drivers, but would hypothetical patches improve the whole thing?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

New hardware and architecture needs time to mature and get optimized. As developers continue to improve their programs to be more multi-threaded, the performance of the current Ryzen lineup should go up. Can't predict by how much though. And by the time that happens, hopefully Intel and AMD will have newer architectures/.

For gaming in regards to Ryzen...I would look to the R5's that are do out next quarter.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

1 minute ago, Ensho said:

For gaming in regards to Ryzen...I would look to the R5's that are do out next quarter.

Problem there is the architecture is the same. The 7700k is faster than Broadwell-E because Broadwell-E is Haswell and Kabylake is Skylake. The architecture matters almost as much as the core count. I wouldn't expect the frequency jump of a few hundred Mhz to offset the loss of cores. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Who ever hold majority in sales will dictate the direction of dev development. I would go with the 7700k because intel's dominance, if ending, still has them as the majority vendor, and as such future releases are likely to designed to run on them over amd products due to the composition of the market.

Edited by Tobonator
To clarify, this applies to games only. If you intend to do anything other than game on your right then I would recommend the 1700x.

CPU: I7 6700K 4.4Ghz @ 1.29v | GPU: MSI Gaming X 1070 8GB | MOBO: Gigabyte z170x Gaming 3 | RAM: 16GB 2800Mhz DDR4 Kingston HyperX

SSD's: 240GB + 500GB SSDs | PSU: Corsair CS 550M | COOLER: Be Quiet Silent Loop 240 | CASE: Corsair 400C

14 minutes ago, App4that said:

Problem there is the architecture is the same. The 7700k is faster than Broadwell-E because Broadwell-E is Haswell and Kabylake is Skylake. The architecture matters almost as much as the core count. I wouldn't expect the frequency jump of a few hundred Mhz to offset the loss of cores. 

No...

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Just now, arnavvr said:

No...

Yes. thought you knew. LOL. It's smaller, but the same architecture. Like Kabylake is just Skylake with the new 14nm+

18 minutes ago, App4that said:

That is true, but the advantage should be (albeit speculative) that with 6 cores they should be easier to overclock.  The R7s don't overclock on all cores without having a dedicated air conditioner blowing air into your case....so getting 4ghz out of all 6 cores may be easier and games that can use the 6/12 architecture will very likely put pressure on the 7700K price/per.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

7 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yes. thought you knew. LOL. It's smaller, but the same architecture. Like Kabylake is just Skylake with the new 14nm+

Broadwell isn't the same architecture as haswell, the igpu was redone, it had a boatload more cache and IMC was changed as well iirc. IMC and cache added more IPC to it I believe. 

2 minutes ago, Ensho said:

That is true, but the advantage should be (albeit speculative) that with 6 cores they should be easier to overclock.  The R7s don't overclock on all cores without having a dedicated air conditioner blowing air into your case....so getting 4ghz out of all 6 cores may be easier and games that can use the 6/12 architecture will very likely put pressure on the 7700K price/per.

If you saw the reviews where all cpus were clocked the same, the 7700k absolutely destroyed the 1800x in gaming,  clocking a six core a few mhz higher won't matter when 7700k can daily 4.9-5.1 Ghz lol.  

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

15 minutes ago, App4that said:

It's not, they use the same socket, but IPC was increased and the Integrated GPU was heavily increased in performance.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

24 minutes ago, Lays said:

Broadwell isn't the same architecture as haswell, the igpu was redone, it had a boatload more cache and IMC was changed as well iirc. IMC and cache added more IPC to it I believe. 

If you saw the reviews where all cpus were clocked the same, the 7700k absolutely destroyed the 1800x in gaming,  clocking a six core a few mhz higher won't matter when 7700k can daily 4.9-5.1 Ghz lol.  

If you say so Lays then I stand corrected. I was corrected before and went off PC World who said the architecture was the same. 

As i plan to rebuild/upgrade my current computer by the end of this year, i wanted to ask

which CPU would be better if my main focus is FPS + VR gaming to go along with a 1080TI

1 hour ago, arnavvr said:

It's not, they use the same socket, but IPC was increased and the Integrated GPU was heavily increased in performance.

1 hour ago, Lays said:

Broadwell is actually the same architecture as Haswell.  Broadwell was die shrink, not an architecture change.  Nothing, but a tick in the tick tock.  :D

50 minutes ago, App4that said:

If you say so Lays then I stand corrected. I was corrected before and went off PC World who said the architecture was the same. 

You are correct.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Broadwell is actually the same architecture as Haswell.  Broadwell was die shrink, not an architecture change.  Nothing, but a tick in the tick tock.  :D

You are correct.

Broadwell was a bit more than a die shrink. But at the end of the day, Broadwell, Skylake, and Kaby Lake are all very close in design to Haswell. Closer than Haswell was to Ivy.

Almost merits the official adoption of my nicknames for them: Haswell, Haswell mini, Haswell mini 2.0, Haswell mini 2.1

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You are correct.

I'm so confusded now LOL,

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Broadwell was a bit more than a die shrink. But at the end of the day, Broadwell, Skylake, and Kaby Lake are all very close in design to Haswell. Closer than Haswell was to Ivy.

Almost merits the official adoption of my nicknames for them: Haswell, Haswell mini, Haswell mini 2.0, Haswell mini 2.1

I know it was more, but it wasn't an architecture change.

Just now, done12many2 said:

I know it was more, but it wasn't an architecture change.

Going by that, I wouldn't qualify Sky or Kaby as teue architecture changes either. Not that it's a bad thing, Haswell was an extremely solid platform that is apparently very adaptable and can stay modern.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Going by that, I wouldn't qualify Sky or Kaby as teue architecture changes either. Not that it's a bad thing, Haswell was an extremely solid platform that is apparently very adaptable and can stay modern.

I'm not going by anything more than what Intel classifies it as.  I justify nothing myself.  If they tell me it's a tick, it's a tick.  If they tell me is a tock (architecture change) then it's a tock.  They know better than me.  :D

Broadwell was to sight in the 14nm process.   The core architecture did not change from Haswell.  It's also socket compatible with Z87 + Z97 which is another hint :)

The only notable thing about broadwell was thet addition of EDRAM / L4 Cache for graphics, only certain SKUs.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/silicon-innovations/intel-tick-tock-model-general.html

ticktock-infographic-web-rwd.png.renditi

Haswell was a new architecture, Broadwell was the 14nm shrink of the Haswell architecture. Same relationship between Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge.

Yes, there were some changes, such as the iGPU, and some optimizations here and there; "same architecture" does not mean "every last transistor is in the same spot". You can make changes, and still be considered the same architecture.