What do all of those Ethernet cables do in Servers

Hi,

I'm pretty new to servers and networking and stuff. What is the point of having all of those Ethernet cables and what do they do? 

See I'm no network guy.. But I would suggest they connect stuff to other stuff.

Connecting multiple cameras to a security system.. Connecting all the PC's in the building to another switch/router that handles the internet.. and of course some sort of NAS system.. etc. etc.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That is where the Ethernet cables in the walls go into the patch panel and then into a Switch. All of them are not plugged right into a server, Although each server can have multiple lines running to it for multiple IP addresses.

Blue cables are going into the patch panel

The white cables are the patch cables going from the patch panel to the switch are most likely are logged and tagged so you can trace traffic easier

This way cables can be moved and repaired easier than if all the cables were terminated straight into a switch or something. Faster repairs/easier trouble shooting = less downtime. Its all about being organized and efficient

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

1 minute ago, ITheSpazI said:

That is where the Ethernet cables in the walls go into the patch panel and then into a Switch. All of them are not plugged right into a server, Although each server can have multiple lines running to it for multiple IP addresses.

Blue cables are going into the patch panel

The white cables are the patch cables going from the patch panel to the switch and are most likely are logged and tagged so you can trace traffic easier

This way cables can be moved and repaired easier than if all the cables were terminated straight into a switch or something. Faster repairs/easier trouble shooting = less downtime. Its all about being organized and efficient

FML Im a tard

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

17 minutes ago, AlphaBetaDelta said:

Hi,

I'm pretty new to servers and networking and stuff. What is the point of having all of those Ethernet cables and what do they do? 

They connect things to other things so that those things can talk to other things.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Each server typically has 4-5 Ethernet ports for load balancing and multiple hosts on the same box. Also, all of the desktops in the building are typically hard wired, all of those connections all go to the sever rack to be connected to the switches.

I assume your refering to the short cable runs that go between a router and a patch panel on a server rack? When a building is built, cat XX cables are run throughout the walls and cut to length. One end of the cable goes into a terminal on the wall like this , or terminates like this.

The other end gets wired into a patch panel where it automatically gets keyed to a jack in a much easier to wire format than a keystone. In a given server rack, you would have a patch panel with all of the raw ethernet cables terminating into standared rj45 jacks, and then short cables connecting the patch panel to your router/switch. 

edit - after rereading your post, seems your referring to having multiple network cables connected to one NAS. This can increase speed and stability of the server, and allow individual VMs to have there own dedicated network line. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

allows fast communication between servers without going though things like, routers, network switches, network hubs etc

e.g, from a main storage server to a long term storage server without slowing the rest of the network down and taking long to back up the data

so..

put the thing, into the other thing

66371153.jpg

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

An ethernet cable isn't just used to connect to the internet. If you want servers to be able to work together, they will need a means of communication. Lots of ethernet cables might also be a result of a need for higher bandwidth between servers, because there is a way to leverage the bandwidth of multiple cables. Servers usually also use sfp+ or qsfp+ cables, they are also used as an interconnect, and can carry both ethernet and infiniband.

in a server farm, you may find that servers have a "public" interface (i.e. internet facing), "private" (i.e. internal, for accessing databases/etc) and "storage" (for accessing the storage network), or they may be multiple connections bonded together to increase the maximum throughput. There can also be ethernet cables for access to the management interface (idrac/ipmi/similar)

In short!

-Mutliple connections (NIC Teaming).   Two 1gigabit cables combined through software or hardware to make a 2gigabit path (or more)

Redundancy!  If one nic or port fails the other can take over.  And to connect everything :D

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"