USB PELTIER DRINK COOLER!

MeDownYou

So, I had the idea from another post on this forum to use a peltier for drink coolage, however this member wanted to make a tap for his PC-

I however found these sorts of peltiers which are flat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEC1-12706-Heatsink-Thermoelectric-Cooler-Cooling-Peltier-Plate-Module-12V-60W-/272564522427?hash=item3f761c8dbb:g:GcQAAOSwax5YrJHR

AND, thus have decided to make a USB drink cooler which Is small and portable, much like a small platform to place your soda on just like a coaster!

Now, I know that USB is 5v and 0.5A for USB2.0 and 0.9A for USB3.0. The peltiers I'm looking at don't appear to be what I want I've found ones that are 40x40 and thin, but and are rated for 12V 60W, but I think USB could only draw 2.5W using 5v times 0.5A right? 

I feel like I'm missing something as that doesn't seem like it would help keep a can of soda remotely chilled.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

You'll have to let us know how it goes.  I think there have been products like this in the past and to the best of my knowledge, they don't typically work very well.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You'll have to let us know how it goes.  I think there have been products like this in the past and to the best of my knowledge, they don't typically work very well.

Well, doing the math 2.5W doesn't sound like cooling capability, something like 10W would be substantially better but that would require 2A on the 5V of USB, not unheard of from phone chargers ect, but against USB spec, 3.0 would be 4.5W which I think I'll probably shoot for.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Image result for usb drink cooler

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Image result for usb drink cooler

Perfect, now just cut it off from where the can sits up and remove that part, and that's that i'm shooting for - but still actually keep a drink cold.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

yeah, like that. Do you know if that one is any good? I think most suffer from a lack of cooling power and so they end up keeping the drink not that much cooler than the room

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

they don't typically work very well.

it's the same reason we use a complex mechanism with extremely toxic chemicals to make our fridges do the thing:

peltiers are stupidly, hilareously inefficient. the only thing a peltier has over *other means of extracting heat*, is that it is small.

the main issue to these peltier things is that they are power hungry (please..of all things.. dont run it off USB...), and that all that power they pull essentially gets "added" to the hot side, which you need to somehow then keep cool enough for the cold side to stay cold enough to chill your drink.

--

to be honest, if you want to chill your drink, just be a civilized person and get a glass with ice cubes.

1 minute ago, MeDownYou said:

Perfect, now just cut it off from where the can sits up and remove that part, and that's that i'm shooting for - but still actually keep a drink cold.

oh, well good luck xD

it could be done, but without insulation, you'll need even more cooling power...

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

it's the same reason we use a complex mechanism with extremely toxic chemicals to make our fridges do the thing:

peltiers are stupidly, hilareously inefficient. the only thing a peltier has over *other means of extracting heat*, is that it is small.

the main issue to these peltier things is that they are power hungry (please..of all things.. dont run it off USB...), and that all that power they pull essentially gets "added" to the hot side, which you need to somehow then keep cool enough for the cold side to stay cold enough to chill your drink.

--

to be honest, if you want to chill your drink, just be a civilized person and get a glass with ice cubes.

Any good alternatives?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Any good alternatives?

ice cubes, hooking up a 100W power supply to your peltier with a big heatsink and powerful fans, or one of these:

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

yeah, like that. Do you know if that one is any good? I think most suffer from a lack of cooling power and so they end up keeping the drink not that much cooler than the room

It can keep stuff cool, but takes a reeeally long time to cool stuff down.

If you remove the casing then it's pretty much useless.

Needs more watts.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Needs more watts.

i still dont understand why they ever thought these things needed to be powered off of USB...

i still dont understand why they ever thought these things needed to be powered off of USB...

I think it's part novelty, and part convenience for we who are obsessed with PCs :P 

yeah doing the math you can only run them at a fraction of what they are suppose to run at, which is problematic not to mention they appear not very efficient either.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

yeah doing the math you can only run them at a fraction of what they are suppose to run at, which is problematic not to mention they appear not very efficient either.

well.. they're made of metal, which i dont need to explain is quite thermally conductive, and you're essentially "creating heat to move heat"; you'll essentially end up having to radiate more heat in peltier, than you'll be radiating heat from your drink.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think it's part novelty, and part convenience for we who are obsessed with PCs :P 

but... just put a power brick on it and call it a desk ornament...

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but... just put a power brick on it and call it a desk ornament...

Actually, That's apart of the reason for the USB to make it portable, However, It sounds as I almost need a can koozie that chills my soda can at this point due to efficiency purposes, something like this heater, http://usb.brando.com/usb-d-i-y-heating-pad-8-x-13cm-_p03120c0067d015.html but with the ability to cool and sewn into a sleeve.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

7 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

Actually, That's apart of the reason for the USB to make it portable, However, It sounds as I almost need a can koozie that chills my soda can at this point due to efficiency purposes, something like this heater, http://usb.brando.com/usb-d-i-y-heating-pad-8-x-13cm-_p03120c0067d015.html but with the ability to cool and sewn into a sleeve.

actually, if your gaming sessions get that hot you need cooling on your drink, get a few of these and toss them in the freezer:

personalized_nautical_anchor_wedding_can

they exist in pretty much every shape you can think of, and are essenially an ice pack in the shape of your can, if you get decent ones they gladly go a few hours before getting up to room temperature.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

actually, if your gaming sessions get that hot you need cooling on your drink, get a few of these and toss them in the freezer:

they exist in pretty much every shape you can think of, and are essenially an ice pack in the shape of your can, if you get decent ones they gladly go a few hours before getting up to room temperature.

You know that's a pretty good solution, Do you think I could Sew something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Heating-Element-Film-Heater-6-20CM-F-Warm-Feet-Hand-Warmer-Electric-Belts-/221930790381?hash=item33ac1b1ded:g:KU8AAOSwbdpWVyo1 

into something like that to keep my cider/tea from cooling as fast as well? Seems like it should act like insulation either way right?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

You know that's a pretty good solution, Do you think I could Sew something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Heating-Element-Film-Heater-6-20CM-F-Warm-Feet-Hand-Warmer-Electric-Belts-/221930790381?hash=item33ac1b1ded:g:KU8AAOSwbdpWVyo1 

into something like that to keep my cider/tea from cooling as fast as well? Seems like it should act like insulation either way right?

you're overthinking this.. just get a darn can cooler :P

you're overthinking this.. just get a darn can cooler :P

True, but coolers don't heat so i needed a solution for that too :P more insulated cups here i come lol

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Power issues aside, you won't have enough contact between the can and the Peltier for effective thermal transfer. You would be better off building an enclosure to house the can. Since cold air sinks it wouldn' t necesarily need a top but it would help.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

To add to the power problem, you need to dissipate the heat generated by the Peltier's hot side, so there's an extra fan to factor into the power draw.

Overall a neat idea but not really worth implementing on USB. Would rather have a power plug and the ability to flip the plate (chilly in the summer, hot in the winter)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

11 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

To add to the power problem, you need to dissipate the heat generated by the Peltier's hot side, so there's an extra fan to factor into the power draw.

Just add more Peltiers.  It's Peltiers all the way down xD 

43 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Just add more Peltiers.  It's Peltiers all the way down xD 

6,371 kilometers worth of Peltiers?

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220