How much can go wrong in overclocking?

Mahbub

In a case where cpu or mobi gets burnt due to oc? Upto what can go wrong? Can damage due to oc effect ram, gpu, psu etc? I am considering oc, if the damage is restricted upto cpu and mobo i can afford second time. Please help 

well if overclocking your CPU you can break it completely or if you are overclocking your GPU you will just make your PC crash but if you don't push it too far you should be fine. for your question about breaking the motherboard it won't damage   it but i wouldn't oc my ram. i honestly think it is too risky.

hope this helped.

If your OC is unstable, your system will either shut down due to thermals or not even boot at all--that's it. You're far more likely to kill hardware from a janky AIO cooler leaking than everything dying from a bad Oc. 

Unless you toss a tonne of voltage at it like 1.5, 1.7, 2.0 volts that fries it immediately, the CPU should become unstable enough or you will reach your thermal limit and the machine will either bluescreen or shut straight down.

For the most part there are a tonne of guides out there, Linus has a few simple videos out there.  Follow those guidelines and you should be okay.

Of course if you are super worried or really want to push a CPU, you can get the Intel insurance. :)

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

7 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

If your OC is unstable, your system will either shut down due to thermals or not even boot at all--that's it. You're far more likely to kill hardware from a janky AIO cooler leaking than everything dying from a bad Oc. 

Suppose i am an idiot and i toss high volts to cpu in my greed to oc touch ?? which are the components that can go bad. I womt oc my ram or anything. What are thise components which can go wrong in case i throw big volts and go brserk with ghz. 

2 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

Suppose i am an idiot and i toss high volts to cpu in my greed to oc touch ?? which are the components that can go bad. I womt oc my ram or anything. What are thise components which can go wrong in case i throw big volts and go brserk with ghz. 

Things are designed to shut down to prevent that sort of damage from occurring. You'd get a system crash and that's about it. Then you take volts down in the bios to try again. 

4 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Things are designed to shut down to prevent that sort of damage from occurring. You'd get a system crash and that's about it. Then you take volts down in the bios to try again. 

But i have heard that cpu or mobos get burnt how does that happen then??

1 minute ago, Mahbub said:

But i have heard that cpu or mobos get burnt how does that happen then??

Unless you were doing something super janky like running a chip without a cooler or something not installed correctly, modern hardware prevents that from happening. Even when I used to care more about hardcore ovetclocking and had a chip at 5ghz,the worst thing to happen was Windows crashing from instability. 

You have to go out of your way to fry something to death lol

8 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Unless you were doing something super janky like running a chip without a cooler or something not installed correctly, modern hardware prevents that from happening. Even when I used to care more about hardcore ovetclocking and had a chip at 5ghz,the worst thing to happen was Windows crashing from instability. 

You have to go out of your way to fry something to death lol

Hahaha, btw i have fx6300 and sapphir r9 380 4gb, i get 45 fps in gta 5 avg with this. It i oc from 3.5 to 4.2 how much fps boost will get?

I'd say most MoBo's get fried due to bad / faulty power supplies more often than not. Or people flipping the switch of older PSU's and drawing way more power than required depending on where you live. lol

4 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

If you have a bad motherboard you should avoid it unless you know what you're doing. 

I am getting a gigabyte 970 gaming mobo

4 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

I am getting a gigabyte 970 gaming mobo

If you are getting a new motherboard just to overclock you should just re-use your RAM and get a haswell i3/i5. You'll see much more performance gain 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

I have an issue. My CPU is an i5 6400 and my mainboard is an H170 gamming 3. in the BIOS there's an option to change the base clock of the CPU. Is it recommended to change it with CPU stock cooler? and what percentage?

6 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

If you are getting a new motherboard just to overclock you should just re-use your RAM and get a haswell i3/i5. You'll see much more performance gain 

Going overbudget bro. I am on amd

1 minute ago, Axllool said:

Sorry, but is there anybody who helps me?

Make your own thread, don't hijack an existing one 

4 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Then save your money. 

I hav fx 6300 n i wanna get gigabyte 970 gaming to oc it to 4.2 ghz

1 minute ago, Mahbub said:

Save. Your. Money. 

You are buying a motherboard to overclock, which you don't know how to do, and you don't know how much performance you will get. Have you really thought about this? 

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

You are buying a motherboard to overclock, which you don't know how to do, and you don't know how much performance you will get. Have you really thought about this? 

But ryzen and i5 are both out of my budget ???

3 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

But ryzen and i5 are both out of my budget ???

You'll be closer to that if you just save your money. 

3 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

You'll be closer to that if you just save your money. 

Actually my dad said he will gift me aliemware in 2019 so i have that amt of money only no more till 2019. And ryzen amd i5 both are overbudget. What should i do??

Actually my dad said he will gift me aliemware in 2019 so i have that amt of money only no more till 2019. And ryzen amd i5 both are overbudget. What should i do??

look for used parts or something