Core i7 2820QM

Will a Core i7 2820QM be able to replace a Core i3 2310M on a Lenovo Thinkpad E520? I checked CPUBOSS and they don't have a socket type that matches, but a Core i7 2620M also doesn't have a socket type that matches (when it's supposed to according to the Lenovo website).

I wouldn't count on it. The laptop motherboard probably won't support it, the socket is different and the i7 needs more power as well. 

Does you mum know you're here?

Both of the threads you created on this topic have been merged together. Please try to keep everything to one thread. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

21 minutes ago, crazysteve240 said:

Will a Core i7 2820QM be able to replace a Core i3 2310M on a Lenovo Thinkpad E520? I checked CPUBOSS and they don't have a socket type that matches, but a Core i7 2620M also doesn't have a socket type that matches (when it's supposed to according to the Lenovo website).

Based on this thread a user did successfully upgrade his E520 to an i7-2820QM.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and/CPU-upgrade-for-Thinkpad-Edge-e520-1143/td-p/662377

22 minutes ago, crazysteve240 said:

It really depends. The 2820qm comes in the PGA988 package which is a removeable socket. The 2310m can be either pga988 OR bga1023 which is soldered.

You will need to figure out which format your laptop has first, and then research whether or not the laptop BIOS will recognize the 2820qm.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

5 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

It really depends. The 2820qm comes in the PGA988 package which is a removeable socket. The 2310m can be either pga988 OR bga1023 which is soldered.

You will need to figure out which format your laptop has first, and then research whether or not the laptop BIOS will recognize the 2820qm.

Indeed, I have an HP Probook 4540s that was supposed to be a PGA socket but it turned out that the one model I bought was the only one to have the BGA socket so I wasn't able to upgrade it.

Just disassemble the laptop and you'll be able to tell which socket it is right away versus trying to fish around for the information online with your serial number. If it's a PGA socket it'll have the retention screw that locks it into place at the top of the socket, if it's a BGA socket then it'll be a lot smaller than a PGA socket and won't have the retention screw. Just make sure you have some thermal paste before you disassemble it if it's your only computer otherwise you won't be able to reassemble it xD

50 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Just make sure you have some thermal paste before you disassemble it if it's your only computer otherwise you won't be able to reassemble it xD

Why is that?

1 hour ago, crazysteve240 said:

Why is that?

You'll need to clean the old thermal paste off the CPU and heatsink and reapply new paste. The reason is because when you separate the heatsink from the CPU it will create air bubbles in it when you reattach the heatsink which will really hinder its heat transfer ability.

Plus the old paste will most likely be pretty dry and brittle since we're talking about Sandy Bridge era CPUs here.