Monitor Choice

Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

TN don't have that much worse colors, if you get a better 8 bit TN Panel.

I have a Dell s2417dg now, besides my old 6-bit IPS Dell u2414h.

Aside from the Dell suffering from a bit of Banding in dark shades (mostly on youtube), the Colors itself, look almost identical, once you tweaked it a slight bit.

However.just stay away from 1080p :P Even  21:9 1080p. it's just too low resolution.

1440p > 2560x1080.

Of those 2... i would get the 144 Hz model, and just see it you can get along with the TN panel.

If not, return it. If yes, you can be happy with super smooth motions, and never go back to 60 Hz again. xD

So, I recently decided that I would invest in a new monitor, as I am merely using a 32" 720p TV. Although, I kinda got stuck in the rough because I found 2 compelling options. Here is the first monitor: https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=18545&gclid=CjwKEAiA_p_FBRCRi_mW5Myl4S0SJAAkezZrtNlQsRdlO_DG9T4PD9cA2XqtnokzCaXLPW0G5HunqRoCYEjw_wcB 

It is a 60Hz monitor with an IPS panel and it has a slim aluminum bezel, but it does not have FreeSync (6ms response time). I do not care about the price difference between these two monitors by the way.

Here is the second monitor: https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=16384

It is a 144Hz monitor with FreeSync (1ms response time), but it is a TN panel.

My hardware can push most games at 1440p medium settings at 60-70FPS. Although, I also play games such as overwatch, rocket league, and CSGO, and I can easily push 144FPS in those games at 1440p medium settings. I also stream video and do other basic computing work, so that's a thing. Also, do TN panels really have THAT bad of colors (I am a bit of a Netflix whore, so I want the picture to look decent)? I sit about 1 1/2-2 feet from my monitor, and I have it angled directly at me. I built my own computer, so I have a large interest in upgrading my system down the line. What do you guys think?

You have an AMD GPU right?

I would really advice my monitor because it is a great between, The LG UltraWide 29´´ 2560x1080p is an amazingly beautiful IPs panel with 75hz of Freesync...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

You have an AMD GPU right?

I would really advice my monitor because it is a great between, The LG UltraWide 29´´ 2560x1080p is an amazingly beautiful IPs panel with 75hz of Freesync...

Yep I have an AMD GPU, heavily OCed RX 470 :)

Aside from the Dell suffering from a bit of Banding in dark shades (mostly on youtube), the Colors itself, look almost identical, once you tweaked it a slight bit.

However.just stay away from 1080p :P Even  21:9 1080p. it's just too low resolution.

1440p > 2560x1080.

Of those 2... i would get the 144 Hz model, and just see it you can get along with the TN panel.

If not, return it. If yes, you can be happy with super smooth motions, and never go back to 60 Hz again. xD

15 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

1440p > 2560x1080.

Ok, thanks!

oh yea...IPS will in most cases look a bit better... but TN "can" be that good, where it looks more "different" than "better/worse".

Also, always remember: you can get used to anything. TN colors, or different speakers. Over the time, this will look totally normal to you.

So if the TN has better specs, it is worth a try ^^

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

oh yea...IPS will in most cases look a bit better... but TN "can" be that good, where it looks more "different" than "better/worse".

Also, always remember: you can get used to anything. TN colors, or different speakers. Over the time, this will look totally normal to you.

So if the TN has better specs, it is worth a try ^^

I'm aware, but my question is if it was worth trading IPS for 144Hz and FreeSync.

That's something you have to decide.

For ME it is. because i can see the difference between 60 hz and 144 Hz pretty easy, even when you scroll in Chrome.

Having Freesync is also a big bonus.

With that, even if you land at 50-70 fps, you will have a smooth experience without stutter or Tearing.

1 minute ago, Darkseth said:

That's something you have to decide.

For ME it is. because i can see the difference between 60 hz and 144 Hz pretty easy, even when you scroll in Chrome.

Having Freesync is also a big bonus.

With that, even if you land at 50-70 fps, you will have a smooth experience without stutter or Tearing.

I tried 144Hz at the Windows store and I could so easily tell the difference. I wanted to see so they brought me to 2 monitors, one with 60Hz and one with 144Hz, and after using them both for about 30 seconds I was able to tell the difference. FreeSync is also something I want, because I don't want to be limited to 60 frames with Vsync, which doesn't always work. Thanks!

Actually, V-Sync works always^^

But it will come with additional Input Lag :P So not always the best.

But yea^^

5 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Actually, V-Sync works always^^

But it will come with additional Input Lag :P So not always the best.

But yea^^

Oh, then it's probably just the terrible TV I'm using. Even with Vsync it looks off, but not as much as when I turn it off.

it's important to have more fps than your Monitors refreshrate. If you fall below, you should have stuttering, which isn't nice :P#

But i have no experience with TVs as PC Monitor, since they operate a bit different.

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

it's important to have more fps than your Monitors refreshrate. If you fall below, you should have stuttering, which isn't nice :P#

But i have no experience with TVs as PC Monitor, since they operate a bit different.

So will it look stuttery if I am running 70FPS on the 144Hz monitor?

No, not at all.

If you use Freesync, and you only get 70 fps, your Monitor will operate in 70 Hz. Which reduces stuttering AND Tearing to 0.^^

If you do NOT Use Freesync, and you only get 70 fps on a 144 Hz Monitor, you will get slight stuttering, if you have V-Sync ON.

If you have V-Sync OFF, you will see a slight bit of Tearing.

The Tearing should be less visible, than the small stuttering.

How strong the stuttering / Tearing is visible, depends on the Game.

in Rise of the Tomb Raider i didn't see any Tearing on my 165 Hz Monitor, when the Game was running at 55-60 fps, and G-Sync was OFF.

But as long you're within the Freesync range of fps, motions will look super smooth