Wedding Reception sound system/home theater system

Hey all, I have a wedding upcoming and were planning on skipping the DJ and just doing the sound ourselves and I was hoping to buy a sound system that could be reused as a home theater system after the wedding or a home theater system that would work for the wedding if that makes sense.The reception will be fairly small only around 100-150 people in a building around 40ftx100 ft. Not looking for anything too high end would like to keep the cost under $500 if possible. I would like to have at least one mic for announcements and such. I really don't have much experience with home theater or sound systems. If anyone has any recommendations or info about how to go about setting up a home theater system to work with a mic and the adapters or cables that would be required that would be great. Thanks  

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't use this for a home theater, but it is suitable for such events:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-B115W-BEHRINGER-EUROLIVE/dp/B00EMDNR9M

You can hook up a wired mic and a music source directly to it, and link something via Bluetooth (say your phone). Put it in a corner to help with the bass, and raise it above ear level to help the highs reach the back of the venue. It's not gonna be the highest quality solution, but it'd likely do the job.

If you want a wireless mic, it offers direct hookup to this model:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Ultralink-High-Performance-Microphone-Dual-Mode/dp/B01N75BL0W

On 3/13/2017 at 7:58 PM, Stagea said:

I wouldn't use this for a home theater, but it is suitable for such events:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-B115W-BEHRINGER-EUROLIVE/dp/B00EMDNR9M

You can hook up a wired mic and a music source directly to it, and link something via Bluetooth (say your phone). Put it in a corner to help with the bass, and raise it above ear level to help the highs reach the back of the venue. It's not gonna be the highest quality solution, but it'd likely do the job.

If you want a wireless mic, it offers direct hookup to this model:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Ultralink-High-Performance-Microphone-Dual-Mode/dp/B01N75BL0W

Wont be powerful enough for that space. According to the rule of 6dB loss every time you double the distance by the time the sound gets from one end of the room to the other it will of lost over 30dB. So if you have the speaker at a reasonable dance floor level of around 85dB by the time it gets to the other side of the room it will be as loud as someone whispering.

Spending 500 on a mobile DJ would probably be a better option. Or you could probably get a decent wedding bad at that money. I know loads of people in the UK with that money would do a dam good wedding bad or DJ with decent gear and maybe a little lighting effects.

On 3/20/2017 at 7:44 PM, Ahoy Hoy said:

Wont be powerful enough for that space. According to the rule of 6dB loss every time you double the distance by the time the sound gets from one end of the room to the other it will of lost over 30dB. So if you have the speaker at a reasonable dance floor level of around 85dB by the time it gets to the other side of the room it will be as loud as someone whispering.

I was assuming that he won't be playing club level music (mostly announcements and just enough music to be audible). Sure it'd be uneven, but he can fill the room somewhat (with spots that are much louder than others).

Renting of course will get him more equipment that would likely do better.

59 minutes ago, Stagea said:

I was assuming that he won't be playing club level music (mostly announcements and just enough music to be audible). Sure it'd be uneven, but he can fill the room somewhat (with spots that are much louder than others).

Renting of course will get him more equipment that would likely do better.

85dB isnt that loud if you shout thats around that volume, its a pretty standard dance floor volume. Most night clubs hit 90dB to 95dB. Never minding the poor directivity, critical distances and backfround noises of the room. the back of the room will be very quiet to the stage that you wont hear it.

On 18/02/2017 at 1:41 AM, geoffrywillhardt said:

Hey all, I have a wedding upcoming and were planning on skipping the DJ and just doing the sound ourselves and I was hoping to buy a sound system that could be reused as a home theater system after the wedding or a home theater system that would work for the wedding if that makes sense.The reception will be fairly small only around 100-150 people in a building around 40ftx100 ft. Not looking for anything too high end would like to keep the cost under $500 if possible. I would like to have at least one mic for announcements and such. I really don't have much experience with home theater or sound systems. If anyone has any recommendations or info about how to go about setting up a home theater system to work with a mic and the adapters or cables that would be required that would be great. Thanks  

Honestly, you're better off renting the equipment if you want to do it yourself.

This is because what will be suitable for for a wedding will be terrible for a home theatre, and vice versa.

You can probably rent pretty good audio gear for the sound for well under $500.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)