Motherboard for an E5-2670?

Hi,

I'm looking for the cheapest motherboard that can support a Xeon E5-2670. As cheap as possible! I plan on using this to host a minecraft server and maybe a few other less intensive things. So basically I don't care about anything such as sound :P.

Any suggestions? The preferred form factor is anything that's small but if you know a regular sized mobo that is very cheap (under $100) then please mention this as well.

Thanks

Never mind. CPU is 2011-1 not 2011-3 so I was wrong and gave bad information.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but cheap board and 2011-3 are not two things that go together.

Any 2011-3 board will support the CPU but 2011 boards are not cheap compared to the consumer platform equivalent.

This is an lga 2011 v1 cpu. If he used an lga 2011-3 board, it would not work.

My native language is C++

i just wanna say, that is a terrible chip to run a minecraft server off of, like, terrible in the amount of "you'd be better buying a kaby lake pentium and cheapo mobo, and probably end up cheaper"

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i just wanna say, that is a terrible chip to run a minecraft server off of, like, terrible in the amount of "you'd be better buying a kaby lake pentium and cheapo mobo, and probably end up cheaper"

Why is it terrible?

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Because of the higher clock speed, correct?

My native language is C++

1 minute ago, Kristian H said:

Why is it terrible?

many cores, at less than ideal single threaded performance. minecraft servers are essentially 90% single threaded at best. i'm sure *someone* is gonna come in and claim differently, but they've yet to prove me that their methods are doing any good at all.

essentially, this is the state of things:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-2670-vs-Intel-Pentium-G4560/m18501vs3892

the xeon only starts coming out on top when you *REALLY* start using 4 threads :D

3 minutes ago, Kristian H said:

The plan is to run the server on about 6 cores

which does jack shit, because all the code is in one thread, mate.

1 hour ago, tt2468 said:

This is an lga 2011 v1 cpu. If he used an lga 2011-3 board, it would not work.

Hmm, well PCPP said they were compatible but I admit I'm no expert on 2011 stuff so if I was wrong then my bad.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Kristian H said:

very cheap (under $100)

This is basically not going to happen for a desktop board.  There's tonnes of server retired CPUs hitting the market but they were pulled from servers, not desktops, and there wern't nearly as many desktop boards to start with and older motherboards are usually desirable as mobos are often the component that fails first in a PC.  Lemme put it this way, I have an X79 LGA 2011 motherboard, compared to the price I paid new and what it seems to go for on eBay, it's actually slightly appreciated in value.  ...Do you get how insane it is that a motherboard, 3+ years in, is worth MORE now than when it was NEW?  PC parts are NOT supposed to APPRECIATE in value.

I'll happily swap you my E5-2620 for your E-2670 xD.

Finding a cheap motherboard for that CPU is likely going to be hard and not cheap. Servers of that era aren't quite old enough yet to have saturated the used market and getting just a motherboard and not a whole used server will be hard. You can just use a decent desktop motherboard instead and that will work fine, minus ECC support, but again cost may be a problem.