37 Minute long interview with Gabe Newell and the Valve VR Team

Ryz

Some TL:DW:

No HL3 news.
Slight showoff the new "knuckles" controller.
Not interested in AR, they're fundamentally different.
Sales are good.
Valve working on 3 full length VR Games
The tether is annoying, Wireless addon 2017
Wireless integration 2018
Hardware manufactures (they mention displays specifically) happy to help now that the market is more proven.
Tech is there today where the next few generations will see much higher resolutions at upwards of 200hz
Overall VR is a success, although the current install base is low, the game developers are making profits ensuring a healthy future

37 minutes of god himself

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

@App4that

Bring forth the kleenex

My money is on Half Life 3 being a VR exclusive, suck it bitches xD

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Boring... Not really news worthy in my opinion.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Gabe has gone from god to devil over the past 5 years. He used to care about games, now he cares about milking every penny he can from as many people as he can while doing the bare minimum work and spending the bare minimum of cash along the way.

Steam needs to DIAF and Gabe needs to move along and let others have a turn.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

his model does ensure a win-win for VR though... rather than the oculus/google/samsung approach of ensuring a win for their share holders.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

good stuff, thanks

so 3 games using unity and source2 engines.

6 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Boring... Not really news worthy in my opinion.

Plenty of news. New controllers, plans for vr's futures, 3 new valve games. What more do you want. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

In the video, they also address a hl3 logo that was spotted on the desktop of a pic taken at Valve. They didn't comment much on it, but I'm willing to bet we see a something with half life and vr. Maybe not half life 3, but something sharing the ip for sure. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

he mentioned very high resolutions and 200Hz headsets.

AMD and NVidia will love this to drive enthusiast GPUs.

it's also clear they do not expect VR to become mass market for now, they see it as something for enthusiasts. But it's still successful because devs are making profits off their VR games and investing in the next gen of games, and the number of headsets is increasing.

this is what I have stated before that some people had a warped idea of success where they would only call the HTC vive gen 1 successful if it had became an affordable mass market product. Not every product is meant to do that.