Getting Your Components As Cheap As Possible

zizu

Hey guys I recently wrote up a short guide on how to save some money when buying parts for your new PC. I figured I would share with the forum. I know a lot of you will know a most of these but it might help one of the newcomers looking to get started. I originally posted this on my website (removed to respect guidelines, sorry guys). Hope it helps someone save some money, cheers!

When shopping around for PC components, most of us use pcpartpicker or just add everything to cart from amazon. But I’m going to outline how to save you a lot of your budget that you can either put back into your new rig, or save entirely.

Getting started

You’re going to want to pick up a chrome tool called PriceBrink. PriceBlink allows you to view the same product across a variety of market places. While sometimes PriceBlink won’t give you the best price, it’s a great way to start.

Some of these methods will require signing up for a multitude of mailing lists. If you don’t want to get the spam to your primary email, set up a throw away email specifically for these.

The key is flexibility and patience

Prices fluctuate all the time and the key is to snipe the parts you need while they’re at the lowest point. To get the best savings, you’re going to want to be flexible with the components you want. I can understand brand loyalty but if you can save some money and the only difference is the name on the box then it’s worth it.

Quick and Easy method

Sometimes we're in a rush and really need a replacement part. Well you don't have to wait to still get a good deal on components. This is the quick and dirty method to save a few bucks in no time at all.

Step 1.) Build your rig with PCpartpicker

Figure out what your ballpark budget is going to be and make your ideal computer setup for that budget. If you need help there are some great pre-built lists in their build guide section. Next, you’re going to want to create a list of alternative parts you’re willing to use. The broader you are, the more savings you potentially can get. Save the build and keep note of the price.

Step 2.) Use PriceBlink

https://i.imgur.com/7jDYjPO.png

Find the cheapest vendor recommended by pcpartpicker and follow the link to the product page. Once on the landing page, check PriceBlink for a lower price. Be sure to click on eBays “Check New & Used Prices” and scour the marketplace for a better price.

Step 3.) Don’t be afraid to buy Manufacturer Refurbished

https://i.imgur.com/w3lwEwk.png

There usually very little risk when getting a manufacturer refurbished component. You might lose out on some accessories (be sure to read the description), but you can end up saving big. I've used and sold hundreds of refurbished items without incident and remember, there is always a return policy for big box retailers.

Step 4.) Check out these alternatives for deals

• /r/buildapcsales – Here you can get some great deals on any given day. Keep an eye out for one of your components or something similar.

• Craigslist – Don’t be afraid to check out your local craigslist. There are some good items you can pick up cheap. One tip, if you don’t mind being a generation behind, wait until the newest components come out. People often sell off their GPUs to buy the newest and greatest. I picked up a 980ti for about $300 doing this (it works)!

• Aliexpress – If you’re doing mods or custom loops, check out aliexpress for fittings and plates. You can save a ton if shop around.

Longer method with better results

If you’re not impulsive and can handle the wait, this method works best. The idea is to let the deals come to you. This is where you’re going to want to utilize that throwaway email we talked about earlier.

Step 1.) Sign up for price alerts

Amazon

For Amazon price alerts, you can use a site called [camelcamelcamel](camelcamelcamel.com) (yes that's its name) and set a price alert for each item you want. It also gives you the price history of the item and shows when it’s been low.

https://i.imgur.com/2uvje1v.png

PCpartpicker

PCpartpicker has a price alert system, although I haven’t found success with it. You can navigate to this feature by going to "Price Drops" in the top right nav menu and then select "sign up for price drops via email." Alternatively, here is a direct link.

Newegg

https://i.imgur.com/HwJhkLl.png

Newegg also has a price alert built into their website. It's very simple to use just enter your desired price and wait for the email. Take advantage of it and watch your email list daily as most of the best deals don’t last long.

Step 2.) Take advantage of retailers “retargeting marketing”

Business Insider estimates the abandonment of carts is up to 72%. Retailers and brands utilize retargeting to help them convert these carts into customers. If you’re signed up to a website and add an item to your cart. If you leave that cart empty you’ve probably noticed an email you get a few days later reminding you of that abandoned cart. Sometimes retailers will send you a coupon code to take a percentage off your cart if it’s abandoned long enough (usually 7 days). Try adding all of your components to carts while you’re signed in, then just wait it out.

Step 3.) Utilize Price matches

This works for both the slow and fast method and can save you a few bucks. Say you catch a good deal on an item from one retailer at say $85 but the shipping is $15. You can submit a price match for sites like NCIX and Newegg to match that $85 but then if they offer free shipping you save 15%.

Community standards don't allow links to personal websites.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

8 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Community standards don't allow links to personal websites.

I removed it, sorry about that.

On 01/29/2017 at 10:13 AM, zizu said:

I removed it, sorry about that.

Could you also edit your post and click the "remove formatting" button for us dark theme users?