Glenwing

Guide to Display Cables / Adapters (v2)

Hello Glenwing :),

Just wanted to ask a quick question again lol.

I'm thinking about redoing my monitor setup for when I get a new GPU soon because currently I'm using 3x1080p Monitors and want to change it to 1x4k & 2x1080p Monitors, one problem though is that I gotta convert DP to HDMI somehow for the 2x1080p Monitors, gonna use DP for my 4k monitor. But I was wondering, I know the original post discusses passive and active adapters but what about DP to HDMI direct cables? Would they also work fine with no lag/image-loss etc for a High-End GPU such as a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080? <- I'm thinking about getting one of those 2 GPUs.

Thanks

~Xiauj

Edited by Xiauj

Specs will be here soon, I promise lol

Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Hello Glenwing :),

Just wanted to ask a quick question again lol.

I'm thinking about redoing my monitor setup for when I get a new GPU soon because currently I'm using 3x1080p Monitors and want to change it to 1x4k & 2x1080p Monitors, one problem though is that I gotta convert DP to HDMI somehow for the 2x1080p Monitors, gonna use DP for my 4k monitor. But I was wondering, I know the original post discusses passive and active adapters but what about DP to HDMI direct cables? Would they also work fine with no lag/image-loss etc for a High-End GPU such as a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080? <- I'm thinking about getting one of those 2 GPUs.

Thanks

~Xiauj

Adapter cables are still adapters, they aren't a different type of thing. Internally it's basically just a DP to HDMI adapter with an HDMI cable permanently attached.

16 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Adapter cables are still adapters, they aren't a different type of thing. Internally it's basically just a DP to HDMI adapter with an HDMI cable permanently attached.

Ohh really? o.O That's good to know! So if I'm gonna be using 1 or maybe 2 of these cables, they shouldn't hopefully cause issues at 1080p and 4k, correct? And hopefully no lag/image-quality-loss etc..?

Just wanna be sure seeing as I'm gonna be using a much higher-end GPU ^_^

Edited by Xiauj

1 hour ago, Xiauj said:

Ohh really? o.O That's good to know! So if I'm gonna be using 1 or maybe 2 of these cables, they shouldn't hopefully cause issues at 1080p and 4k, correct? And hopefully no lag/image-quality-loss etc..?

Just wanna be sure seeing as I'm gonna be using a much higher-end GPU ^_^

They won't support 4K but if you're just using them for the 1080p monitors then it won't cause any issues

43 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

They won't support 4K but if you're just using them for the 1080p monitors then it won't cause any issues

Yeah I plan to get 2 DP>HDMI cables that I saw on Amazon-UK and then use a DisplayPort cable directly (No Converting) for my 4k Monitor :), I just wish I got 1080p monitors with DisplayPort at the time lol, was on a budget back then soo yeah. :dry:

But yeah, thanks again Glenwing! <3

So I'm having some issues with my set up. If anyone here can help that would be great. I am using my Aorus x5 MD as my daily driver right now and I am trying to connect it to my two 1080p monitors. The HDMI port is working just fine as I have one monitor currently connected to that. For the other monitor I'm trying to connect it to the mini-DP 1.3 port in my laptop as such: laptop mini-DP 1.3 -> mini-DP to HDMI adapter -> HDMI -> monitor. I am not getting a signal from that port. I have tested the adapter and HDMI cables with other devices and they work. I can use the mini-DP port of my laptop to the adapter to hdmi to my tv and that works as well. I tested the DP with the adapter on both monitors and i get no signal. Both monitors can connect to the laptop via HDMI no issues but the laptop only has one HDMI out.

If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, Dudenstein said:

So I'm having some issues with my set up. If anyone here can help that would be great. I am using my Aorus x5 MD as my daily driver right now and I am trying to connect it to my two 1080p monitors. The HDMI port is working just fine as I have one monitor currently connected to that. For the other monitor I'm trying to connect it to the mini-DP 1.3 port in my laptop as such: laptop mini-DP 1.3 -> mini-DP to HDMI adapter -> HDMI -> monitor. I am not getting a signal from that port. I have tested the adapter and HDMI cables with other devices and they work. I can use the mini-DP port of my laptop to the adapter to hdmi to my tv and that works as well. I tested the DP with the adapter on both monitors and i get no signal. Both monitors can connect to the laptop via HDMI no issues but the laptop only has one HDMI out.

If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks in advance.

I would recommend making a new thread :)

Posted (edited)
On 1/27/2017 at 1:38 AM, Glenwing said:
HDMI Version 1.0–1.2 1.3–1.4 2.0 2.1

HDMI 2.1 Notes
The new HDMI 2.1 version has recently (at the time of writing) been announced. 

HDMI cables do not have versions. There is no such thing as an "HDMI 1.4 cable" or an "HDMI 2.0 cable

I get the difference between cables and connectors, but this seems worded in a contradictory manner

Edited by Jtalk4456
Forgot to cut out a lot of the quote