Guide to Display Cables / Adapters (v2)

Glenwing
7 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Hello Glenwing :),

Just wanted to ask a quick question again lol.

I'm thinking about redoing my monitor setup for when I get a new GPU soon because currently I'm using 3x1080p Monitors and want to change it to 1x4k & 2x1080p Monitors, one problem though is that I gotta convert DP to HDMI somehow for the 2x1080p Monitors, gonna use DP for my 4k monitor. But I was wondering, I know the original post discusses passive and active adapters but what about DP to HDMI direct cables? Would they also work fine with no lag/image-loss etc for a High-End GPU such as a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080? <- I'm thinking about getting one of those 2 GPUs.

Thanks

~Xiauj

Adapter cables are still adapters, they aren't a different type of thing. Internally it's basically just a DP to HDMI adapter with an HDMI cable permanently attached.

16 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Adapter cables are still adapters, they aren't a different type of thing. Internally it's basically just a DP to HDMI adapter with an HDMI cable permanently attached.

Ohh really? o.O That's good to know! So if I'm gonna be using 1 or maybe 2 of these cables, they shouldn't hopefully cause issues at 1080p and 4k, correct? And hopefully no lag/image-quality-loss etc..?

Just wanna be sure seeing as I'm gonna be using a much higher-end GPU ^_^

Edited by Xiauj

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

1 hour ago, Xiauj said:

Ohh really? o.O That's good to know! So if I'm gonna be using 1 or maybe 2 of these cables, they shouldn't hopefully cause issues at 1080p and 4k, correct? And hopefully no lag/image-quality-loss etc..?

Just wanna be sure seeing as I'm gonna be using a much higher-end GPU ^_^

They won't support 4K but if you're just using them for the 1080p monitors then it won't cause any issues

43 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

They won't support 4K but if you're just using them for the 1080p monitors then it won't cause any issues

Yeah I plan to get 2 DP>HDMI cables that I saw on Amazon-UK and then use a DisplayPort cable directly (No Converting) for my 4k Monitor :), I just wish I got 1080p monitors with DisplayPort at the time lol, was on a budget back then soo yeah. :dry:

But yeah, thanks again Glenwing! <3

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

• 3 months later...

So I'm having some issues with my set up. If anyone here can help that would be great. I am using my Aorus x5 MD as my daily driver right now and I am trying to connect it to my two 1080p monitors. The HDMI port is working just fine as I have one monitor currently connected to that. For the other monitor I'm trying to connect it to the mini-DP 1.3 port in my laptop as such: laptop mini-DP 1.3 -> mini-DP to HDMI adapter -> HDMI -> monitor. I am not getting a signal from that port. I have tested the adapter and HDMI cables with other devices and they work. I can use the mini-DP port of my laptop to the adapter to hdmi to my tv and that works as well. I tested the DP with the adapter on both monitors and i get no signal. Both monitors can connect to the laptop via HDMI no issues but the laptop only has one HDMI out.

If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, Dudenstein said:

So I'm having some issues with my set up. If anyone here can help that would be great. I am using my Aorus x5 MD as my daily driver right now and I am trying to connect it to my two 1080p monitors. The HDMI port is working just fine as I have one monitor currently connected to that. For the other monitor I'm trying to connect it to the mini-DP 1.3 port in my laptop as such: laptop mini-DP 1.3 -> mini-DP to HDMI adapter -> HDMI -> monitor. I am not getting a signal from that port. I have tested the adapter and HDMI cables with other devices and they work. I can use the mini-DP port of my laptop to the adapter to hdmi to my tv and that works as well. I tested the DP with the adapter on both monitors and i get no signal. Both monitors can connect to the laptop via HDMI no issues but the laptop only has one HDMI out.

If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks in advance.

I would recommend making a new thread :)

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2017 at 1:38 AM, Glenwing said:
HDMI Version 1.0–1.2 1.3–1.4 2.0 2.1

HDMI 2.1 Notes
The new HDMI 2.1 version has recently (at the time of writing) been announced. 

HDMI cables do not have versions. There is no such thing as an "HDMI 1.4 cable" or an "HDMI 2.0 cable

I get the difference between cables and connectors, but this seems worded in a contradictory manner

Edited by Jtalk4456
Forgot to cut out a lot of the quote

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I just bought a RTX 2080 and i want to connect it with benQ xl2411z @120+hz  @1080p.

xl2411z supports DVI cable and 2080 hdmi or display port.

So, according to this helpful thread if i'll buy an hdmi to DVI cable

it will work like a typical DVI to DVI cable which delivers 144hz?

Thanks for the fantastic thread,

1 hour ago, bouller said:

Hello,

I just bought a RTX 2080 and i want to connect it with benQ xl2411z @120+hz  @1080p.

xl2411z supports DVI cable and 2080 hdmi or display port.

So, according to this helpful thread if i'll buy an hdmi to DVI cable

it will work like a typical DVI to DVI cable which delivers 144hz?

Thanks for the fantastic thread,

No, 144 Hz requires Dual-Link DVI. All HDMI to DVI adapters are Single-Link only. I would recommend reading section 0 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/

Thanks for your reply !

So, in conclusion i am going to use one of these products :

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-BIZLINK-DisplayPort-Adapter-Powered/dp/B003XYBA72/

https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2371/displayport_to_dvi_dual_link_converter_active_adapter/

OR 

buying a brand new monitor which supports displayport in order to play 1080p 144hz ?

Thanks a lot for your time,

21 hours ago, bouller said:

Thanks for your reply !

So, in conclusion i am going to use one of these products :

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-BIZLINK-DisplayPort-Adapter-Powered/dp/B003XYBA72/

https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2371/displayport_to_dvi_dual_link_converter_active_adapter/

OR 

buying a brand new monitor which supports displayport in order to play 1080p 144hz ?

Thanks a lot for your time,

Yes.

what about HDR? would be nice to be able to toggle that on/off as well

hi i have a question if i connect usb-c gen 1 to a dp 1.2 will i get 240hz at 1080p and g-sync

laptop: acer aspire 7 a715-71g-52FG

and does it have dp alt mode and thanks.

3 hours ago, S4mTheGamer said:

hi i have a question if i connect usb-c gen 1 to a dp 1.2 will i get 240hz at 1080p and g-sync

laptop: acer aspire 7 a715-71g-52FG

and does it have dp alt mode and thanks.

If it supports DP alt mode provided by the GPU, then yes. I don't know the specifics of every laptop model though.

The USB version/transmission speed does not matter since they do not get video by converting USB signal to DisplayPort, they just transmit video directly from the GPU.

However, I will say, if it is a 3.0 Gen 1 port, it is unlikely to support video output, at least that is what I have seen so far.

5 hours ago, Glenwing said:

If it supports DP alt mode provided by the GPU, then yes. I don't know the specifics of every laptop model though.

The USB version/transmission speed does not matter since they do not get video by converting USB signal to DisplayPort, they just transmit video directly from the GPU.

However, I will say, if it is a 3.0 Gen 1 port, it is unlikely to support video output, at least that is what I have seen so far.

Thank you for your time but where can I see if I have alt mode, I have a gtx 1050 mobile. 

I am planning to buy LG 27GK750F 240 Hz monitor that can support g sync over free sync. BTW thank you for responding to my article I have never thought you would respond ?

Edited by S4mTheGamer

• 1 month later...

Thank you @Glenwing for the tool and the very detailed article.

However, I couldn't catch what type of route that I should choose for my ready to order a new PC setup.

I will use RTX 2060 Gaming Z from MSI (which has three DP 1.4 but just one HDMI2 output) and 2 x Dell's U2518D (which has DP 1.2 and HDMI 2).  My research about cables and passive/active adapters got me very confused, as all I want to have is having the benefit of GPU's DP 1.4 HDR capable outputs to convert and use them on two monitors with HDMI2 input because of the monitors don't have DP 1.4 input to take HDR signal.

I found a product that has the specs but it's active and I read lots of issues with active adapters. Dell U2518D is 1440p 56-76Hz monitor s I'm not sure that I need this "

Club 3D CAC-1080 DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI2.0, Active Adapter". If I don't need that one should I choose "Plugable DisplayPort to HDMI Passive Adapter (Supports displays up to 4K / UHD / 3840x2160@30Hz)"?

Edit/add,

I got a response from MSI through Messenger and they returned with "it's just DP" in case if anyone interested now & in the future

All the best,

Akin

Edited by akincansenol
Paragraph correction, new information from MSI added

• 2 weeks later...

Information given at first page is not showing ability to connect VGA to SCART when using passive (?) VGA (D-SUB) ->SCART (EURO) cable. (SCART ->VGA cable is not compatibile).

image.png.b05c21f550a849801b0d7205c617cfd1.pngdvd2vga2.gif.b1290580f7576da0354971c2666b0177.gif

Thanks to that, we can connect ex. CRT TV with sound to our computer, without any digital processing in even 1080i resolution (SCART RGB).

On 5/21/2019 at 12:36 AM, Kris3456 said:

Information given at first page is not showing ability to connect VGA to SCART when using passive (?) VGA (D-SUB) ->SCART (EURO) cable. (SCART ->VGA cable is not compatibile).

Thanks to that, we can connect ex. CRT TV with sound to our computer, without any digital processing in even 1080i resolution (SCART RGB).

I only cover interfaces commonly found on modern PCs :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys! Amazing table the one in OP.

I have a problem regarding lengths + resolution/Hz needs.

I have a 2560x1440p (16:9) monitor that runs at 165Hz, and need a cable that is at least 1819 ft long (5.56 mt). From the table I see that I should need a 1.3–1.4 Display Port cable....but can't find one that is certified to work!!

Do I only have to look at real 1.4 Display Port cable and that is it? Isn't the length a problem??

Thanks.

7 hours ago, PIRATA! said:

Hey guys! Amazing table the one in OP.

I have a problem regarding lengths + resolution/Hz needs.

I have a 2560x1440p (16:9) monitor that runs at 165Hz, and need a cable that is at least 1819 ft long (5.56 mt). From the table I see that I should need a 1.3–1.4 Display Port cable....but can't find one that is certified to work!!

Do I only have to look at real 1.4 Display Port cable and that is it? Isn't the length a problem??

Thanks.

HBR2 cable will work fine. Table only covers standard refresh rates; see the footnotes.

• 3 weeks later...

This was such an amazing read. Thanks in advance for taking the time to write this beauty!

I have a question, I bought the Aorus AD27QD, which has I/O ports such as 1xDP 1.2 and 2xHDMI 2.0 and is a 2560x1440 QHD IPS 144Hz panel. I also have a laptop (ROG GL553VE) but only has 1xUSB 2.0, 2xUSB 3.0, 1xUSB C and 1xHDMI1.4. Which means that I won't be able to get the whole potential from my Aorus AD27QD with direct cable connection. I researched and concluded that I'm screwed unless I upgrade my hardware. Despite that I'm still gonna ask here if there is still a solution such as buying an adapter, connector, etc, to be able to get the 144Hz wihtout color disfunction. 

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Liboo said:

This was such an amazing read. Thanks in advance for taking the time to write this beauty!

I have a question, I bought the Aorus AD27QD, which has I/O ports such as 1xDP 1.2 and 2xHDMI 2.0 and is a 2560x1440 QHD IPS 144Hz panel. I also have a laptop (ROG GL553VE) but only has 1xUSB 2.0, 2xUSB 3.0, 1xUSB C and 1xHDMI1.4. Which means that I won't be able to get the whole potential from my Aorus AD27QD with direct cable connection. I researched and concluded that I'm screwed unless I upgrade my hardware. Despite that I'm still gonna ask here if there is still a solution such as buying an adapter, connector, etc, to be able to get the 144Hz wihtout color disfunction. 

Thanks in advance!

If the laptop supports video output over USB-C you may be able to use that (with USB-C to DP adapter), but otherwise unfortunately there are no other options.