Guide to Display Cables / Adapters (v2)

Glenwing

Hey @Glenwing, can a SL-DVI-D to HDMI support 75hz? I read your guide but i see some monitors running at 75hz with a SL-DVI-D to HDMI, and my cable trick Adrenaline because Adrenaline detect the cable as a HDMI cable, so, its support FreeSync?

15 hours ago, TheYobo said:

Hey @Glenwing, can a SL-DVI-D to HDMI support 75hz? I read your guide but i see some monitors running at 75hz with a SL-DVI-D to HDMI, and my cable trick Adrenaline because Adrenaline detect the cable as a HDMI cable, so, its support FreeSync?

If it's connected from DVI source to HDMI display, yes.

11 hours ago, Glenwing said:

If it's connected from DVI source to HDMI display, yes.

Oh, thanks, now i can buy my 1080p 75hz monitor 🙂

• 2 months later...

I have an ASUS VG248QG 165hz external monitor that supports 144hz on  HDMI cable and I am using  an MSI GF75 Thin 9RCX for gaming . The problem is I only get 120hz on the external monitor but they said  in the specs it supports 144hz .Is because of the cable I am using  ?or Is the Laptop's HDMI output only 120hz ? I am so confused .

image.png.fb7f2e88955de567537d350285184d58.png

16 hours ago, Lord ruben said:

I have an ASUS VG248QG 165hz external monitor that supports 144hz on  HDMI cable and I am using  an MSI GF75 Thin 9RCX for gaming . The problem is I only get 120hz on the external monitor but they said  in the specs it supports 144hz .Is because of the cable I am using  ?or Is the Laptop's HDMI output only 120hz ? I am so confused .

image.png.fb7f2e88955de567537d350285184d58.png

Laptops are usually limited to 120 Hz at 1080p over HDMI due to the limitations of Intel HD Graphics (even if the laptop also has an NVIDIA GPU).

• 4 months later...

I have maybe a weird question, and I don't know if anyone can offer any insight into this, but I have this problem where occasionally my system freezes (no error message or bsod, windows just freezes and requires a hard reset) when the monitors wake up after windows shut them off from inactivity. I've spent a lot of time over the last few months trying to trouble shoot it. I assumed it was either a software and hardware issue, but have eliminated everything except for the gpu, since I don't have a spare gpu to swap out and can't get one. The one thing I never thought to consider was a bad displayport cable. I currently have an RTX 3080 connected to a pair of LG 27GN850-B monitors via an HBR3 displayport cable. I came across an article that talked about the active 20 pin problem with displayport cables and how it can cause problems with gpus. It seemed like the common symptom was boot cycling, but could something like that be causing my problem? I checked the product page of the cables I'm using and I couldn't find any info about whether pin 20 was open/inactive or not.

I'm probably going to just get a pair of new DP cables to test it, but was just curious if anyone had seen a problem like this caused by the cable.

9 minutes ago, dremy said:

I have maybe a weird question, and I don't know if anyone can offer any insight into this, but I have this problem where occasionally my system freezes (no error message or bsod, windows just freezes and requires a hard reset) when the monitors wake up after windows shut them off from inactivity. I've spent a lot of time over the last few months trying to trouble shoot it. I assumed it was either a software and hardware issue, but have eliminated everything except for the gpu, since I don't have a spare gpu to swap out and can't get one. The one thing I never thought to consider was a bad displayport cable. I currently have an RTX 3080 connected to a pair of LG 27GN850-B monitors via an HBR3 displayport cable. I came across an article that talked about the active 20 pin problem with displayport cables and how it can cause problems with gpus. It seemed like the common symptom was boot cycling, but could something like that be causing my problem? I checked the product page of the cables I'm using and I couldn't find any info about whether pin 20 was open/inactive or not.

I'm probably going to just get a pair of new DP cables to test it, but was just curious if anyone had seen a problem like this caused by the cable.

Yes, it's referenced vaguely in the DisplayPort section of the guide. Perhaps I should make it more explicit though.

On 1/26/2017 at 10:38 PM, Glenwing said:

It is recommended to only buy DisplayPort cables that have been certified by VESA, the creators of the DisplayPort standard. Not all DisplayPort cables are certified. Non-certified cables are known to have fake speed/"version" ratings and even incorrect wiring. Some certified DP cable recommendations are listed further down

59 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Yes, it's referenced vaguely in the DisplayPort section of the guide. Perhaps I should make it more explicit though.

But isn't the pin 20 power part of the VESA standard? Does VESA not certify cables that have it?

Hey there I wish to ask a question.

Does the PCIE connection matter for display output?

For example I have a gpu running in an X16 slot at x4 speeds (PCIE 3.0), I cant seem to run 1440p 240hz and 1440 165hz at the same time is this the reason? and if it is, how can I calculate the maximum I can output?

13 minutes ago, Battler624 said:

Hey there I wish to ask a question.

Does the PCIE connection matter for display output?

For example I have a gpu running in an X16 slot at x4 speeds (PCIE 3.0), I cant seem to run 1440p 240hz and 1440 165hz at the same time is this the reason? and if it is, how can I calculate the maximum I can output?

No, the PCIe connection of the GPU doesn't affect display output

On 10/26/2021 at 7:32 PM, Glenwing said:

No, the PCIe connection of the GPU doesn't affect display output

If that is the case, how come the gpu wont work with 2 displays but works with each separately? this happens on both windows and linux

• 4 weeks later...

This is super useful and has way better information than anywhere else I have seen! Still a little confused though... My laptop has usb-c with DP alternative mode, and I am having a tough time finding information on it. Is the DP limited by the bandwidth of the usb port (10 Gb/s), or is that totally separate? I just picked up a 1440p 165hz display with DP 1.2, but windows only allows 120hz. Nvidia control panel only allows the same. Is the usb-c port the bottleneck, or might it be the rather inexpensive usb-c hub? I've also read something about needing to update the display drivers, but Dell doesn't offer any. I'm trying to determine what the real issue is before I go out spending more money.

39 minutes ago, Vinker said:

This is super useful and has way better information than anywhere else I have seen! Still a little confused though... My laptop has usb-c with DP alternative mode, and I am having a tough time finding information on it. Is the DP limited by the bandwidth of the usb port (10 Gb/s), or is that totally separate? I just picked up a 1440p 165hz display with DP 1.2, but windows only allows 120hz. Nvidia control panel only allows the same. Is the usb-c port the bottleneck, or might it be the rather inexpensive usb-c hub? I've also read something about needing to update the display drivers, but Dell doesn't offer any. I'm trying to determine what the real issue is before I go out spending more money.

It's covered in the USB-C overview section (if you select nothing on the output).

https://linustechtips.com/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?output=USBC

• 3 weeks later...

So I got my self a fancy new LG oled c1 tv for Christmas, but my good'ol HTPC has a bit of an old gpu in it, a GTX 670. I was hoping to get 4k@60 working (as I do not want to buy a HDMI 2.1 capable gpu atm), so I started looking in to adapters for DP and figured it could do HDMI 2.0 so 4k 60hz, but hdr support seemed iffy. So after som looking around I ended up getting this https://www.deltaco.no/produkter/deltaco/kabler-adaptere/displayport/adaptere/DP-HDMI32 (Norwegian and Eng mix web page) and a nice new HDMI 2.1 cable. 

So it gets here, I do some reconnecting of devices and rescale some stuff in windows and go to check the settings, *bablam* 4k 30hz, and it is well stuck there, cant make a custom res work or nothing. From what I understand it sees it as a HDMI device, but can't see what type. And after endless googling and not sure what to google because it only finds the buzz words I thought of looking here and see if anyone have come across a similar issue? 

3 hours ago, Ztaal3 said:

So I got my self a fancy new LG oled c1 tv for Christmas, but my good'ol HTPC has a bit of an old gpu in it, a GTX 670. I was hoping to get 4k@60 working (as I do not want to buy a HDMI 2.1 capable gpu atm), so I started looking in to adapters for DP and figured it could do HDMI 2.0 so 4k 60hz, but hdr support seemed iffy. So after som looking around I ended up getting this https://www.deltaco.no/produkter/deltaco/kabler-adaptere/displayport/adaptere/DP-HDMI32 (Norwegian and Eng mix web page) and a nice new HDMI 2.1 cable. 

So it gets here, I do some reconnecting of devices and rescale some stuff in windows and go to check the settings, *bablam* 4k 30hz, and it is well stuck there, cant make a custom res work or nothing. From what I understand it sees it as a HDMI device, but can't see what type. And after endless googling and not sure what to google because it only finds the buzz words I thought of looking here and see if anyone have come across a similar issue? 

GTX 670 has a limited implementation of DisplayPort 1.2 and only supports up to 540 Mpx/s (only 75% of the normal maximum). It can support 4K 60 Hz, but only with certain timings (custom resolution). The standard 4K format used by TVs (using CTA-861 format) requires 597 Mpx/s which is outside the capability of the GTX 670.

If you set a custom resolution, make sure you set the timing standard to CVT Reduced Blank which should bring it within the GTX 670's limit. But TVs may not accept custom timings like this anyway, it really just depends on the model.

15 hours ago, Glenwing said:

GTX 670 has a limited implementation of DisplayPort 1.2 and only supports up to 540 Mpx/s (only 75% of the normal maximum). It can support 4K 60 Hz, but only with certain timings (custom resolution). The standard 4K format used by TVs (using CTA-861 format) requires 597 Mpx/s which is outside the capability of the GTX 670.

If you set a custom resolution, make sure you set the timing standard to CVT Reduced Blank which should bring it within the GTX 670's limit. But TVs may not accept custom timings like this anyway, it really just depends on the model.

Yeah I read that info on some forum too, and I tried doing that, but it just rejects it... hmm I really thought DP standards was pretty ''standard'', didn't know there was variations of it 😄 so I might just be screwed on that until I pony up for something newer I guess, *shakes fist in air* damn you chip shortages.... 

19 minutes ago, Ztaal3 said:

Yeah I read that info on some forum too, and I tried doing that, but it just rejects it... hmm I really thought DP standards was pretty ''standard'', didn't know there was variations of it 😄 so I might just be screwed on that until I pony up for something newer I guess, *shakes fist in air* damn you chip shortages.... 

It seems to be a limitation of other internal parts of the GPU rather than the DP transmitter. Unfortunate really.

18 hours ago, Glenwing said:

It seems to be a limitation of other internal parts of the GPU rather than the DP transmitter. Unfortunate really.

Yeah I guess so, might just need to try and find something a bit newer until I can get one with hdmi 2.1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:13 PM, Glenwing said:

Yeah a small update, it was a setting on the TV (HDMI deep color) that needed to be on, now with CVT reduced darkness or something I got 4k 60hz working, but I loose the option for 10bit color, but no matter the setting it seems like HDR will not be happening... Oh well time to save up for a new gpu I guess... 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys! 

So I have a specific problem and Im looking for a solution. So the Thing is Ive been renovating my apartment and the constructors made a bad mistake with my HDMI cables which are running under the flor in a canal thats is relay small and to make things worse they put in a low end HDMI Cable. Now the only option for me is to cut the cable pull it out and insert a new one, but the only one that will fit is a mini or micro HDMI cable. So what Im looking for is: 

1x 5m long 48Gb/s Ultra High Speed mini HDMI on one end and classic "big HDMI on the other (thats the only thing that will fit trough)

1x Converter Female Mini HDMI to Male Classical HDMI which supports 48Bb/s or at least makes minimal loss of signal) 

Please help Ive been searching allover for a certified cable and converter without luck. Im based in EU but would be willing to order from anywhere just as long as I get the right thing. 

Thank you and BR

Žiga

I apologize if this has been addressed before. Herein a couple of months I'm planning on getting a Xbox Series X and I know there are only certain titles that will run at the 4K@120hz but I'm wanting to get a monitor that will support that feature. I'm also looking at finally being able to buy an actual GPU for the rig I have in my signature, I know whatever GPU I buy should have the DP 1.4 port on it to allow the max refresh rate for the GPU depending on the game and how graphic intensive it is. Now I know the Series X only has an HDMI 2.1 connector to allow it to operate at 4K@120hz so what I need to know is this. Is there a specific HDMI 2.1 to Display port 1.4 adapter that will allow me to do what I'm wanting to accomplish? I've been looking at the newer TV's that have the HDMI 2.1 on them and they are a bit expensive at the moment. So I'm hoping that I can find a decent monitor that's just not outrageously priced and an decent size that I can buy an articulating TV mount arm to hook onto my desk in the middle(I'll attach a pic so you can see what I'm wanting to do and what I have) that will allow me to bring it up and out towards me so I can game comfortably while I'm in my bed(I'm disabled is why I have it setup like this). So the plan is to find a good monitor, to know if there's an appropriate adapter for this purpose, then buy a Series X and hopefully have enough for a much needed GPU. TIA for any and all replies, I really appreciate it.

THOMAS

20220114_035631.jpg

MSI Z490 CARBON FIBER  | i9-10850K@5.2Ghz @1.212v | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB G-Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom CPU and GPU Loop(EKWB, Bykski, Primochill) | EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO RAID-0 | 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 | 8x CM Sickle Flow 120mm Fans | Windows 11 64 Bit

• 3 months later...

@GlenwingI need help understanding, esssentially i got a laptop a MSI modern 15 A10RAS witha  hdmi 1.4 port, and  im tryna hook t up to my G5 odessy 27 which is at 1440 144hz, any way to get it to work 144hz at 1440 cus its stuck on 60 at 1440, do i need to buy an adapter and if so which one

2 hours ago, Certified_Asian said:

@GlenwingI need help understanding, esssentially i got a laptop a MSI modern 15 A10RAS witha  hdmi 1.4 port, and  im tryna hook t up to my G5 odessy 27 which is at 1440 144hz, any way to get it to work 144hz at 1440 cus its stuck on 60 at 1440, do i need to buy an adapter and if so which one

You will need to use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter.