Modem and switch setup

Gali

Alright dudes and dudettes, so here's the deal.

One of my next projects is to run Cat6a lines throughout my house. I'm still working with my ISPs provided modem, which will be switched out soon pending my choice in Modem/router combo. I'm throwing in a network switch beyond that to support all the hard lines going to guest rooms and the such. My question is, being that eventually I'll have fiber run in my neighborhood (possibly soon), I need a modem that will push 'dat Gb', so I've been looking at a couple different models of Netgear's Nighthawk series. Without pulling the trigger on any particular one, I wanted to ask you Networking bubbas what might be my best option. Budget is maxing at $300, which I'm guessing based on what I've been researching can nab just about anything. As well, from Linus' recent video on the ASUS XG-U2008 mini-switch, I'm looking into picking one of those up, or something with similar capabilities so I don't have to worry about future expansion.

Thanks everyone,

~ Gali

Eternity: i7 6700k, nVidia GTX GeForce 1070, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/2 TB WD Black HDD, Corsair RM850X Gold+, Corsair H115i Extreme, Fractal Design R4, 16GB Cosair Vengeance 2400,  Acer Predator XB271HU

You'd be better off with a separate modem and router than a combo. My suggestion for a router would be the TP-Link Archer C7. Assuming you're on DOCSIS (Cable internet), your best modems of choice would be from Netgear's CM series. Now I don't know what exactly you mean by "fibre", will it be all the way to the house or just a cabinet on the street? 

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

3 hours ago, Gali said:

Alright dudes and dudettes, so here's the deal.

One of my next projects is to run Cat6a lines throughout my house. I'm still working with my ISPs provided modem, which will be switched out soon pending my choice in Modem/router combo. I'm throwing in a network switch beyond that to support all the hard lines going to guest rooms and the such. My question is, being that eventually I'll have fiber run in my neighborhood (possibly soon), I need a modem that will push 'dat Gb', so I've been looking at a couple different models of Netgear's Nighthawk series. Without pulling the trigger on any particular one, I wanted to ask you Networking bubbas what might be my best option. Budget is maxing at $300, which I'm guessing based on what I've been researching can nab just about anything. As well, from Linus' recent video on the ASUS XG-U2008 mini-switch, I'm looking into picking one of those up, or something with similar capabilities so I don't have to worry about future expansion.

Thanks everyone,

~ Gali

A) If you do get Fiber run to the house they will put a ONT on your house. Which should covert it over from Fiber to Coax or Ethernet. I know Verzion uses Coax if you use TV service. I should mention the ONT acts as your modem. 

B) As another pointed out you want a seperat modem and router. You didnt not state what kind of Internet you have right now. If Cable then you look in to a DOCSIS modem that can handle the speed you currently have. I personally have the Motorola SB6141. Its on the lower end as I only get 75 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. But Motorola has good modems, I paid $80 for mine about 2 years ago, now they are about $60 all day long. You will need to check with your ISP's supported device list before you buy. Id go with @Speedbird suggestion of the Archer C7 router. My sister has one and its seems to cover a good area and be fairly fast. Its also dual band and normally under $100 USD, might even find it as low as $60 USD on sale. 

Other thoughts

Make sure you plan out your runs ahead of time. Ive never ran cable myself but I have seen many threads about it. Most suggest at least 2 cables per run. If your able to save on the router and modem and such, I would look at buying a small UPS. I have my desktop PC's UPS powering my network equipment. While power was out at my house I still had access to the internet. My guess is Comcast has battery backups on the network around me. Another option you have also, is not using one signal router. If your willing to run cabling you could just install  Wireless access points in key areas of your home giving you the best coverage. This really only apply in larger homes. Because in most smaller homes one AP (which is built in to the router) should be able to handle it.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 hours ago, Speedbird said:

You'd be better off with a separate modem and router than a combo. My suggestion for a router would be the TP-Link Archer C7. Assuming you're on DOCSIS (Cable internet), your best modems of choice would be from Netgear's CM series. Now I don't know what exactly you mean by "fibre", will it be all the way to the house or just a cabinet on the street? 

That's a good questions Speedbird. I'm not sure how they run their fiber - whether it's to the house or from the street. I'll look into it.

Why wouldn't a modem/router combo be good. Are they not as efficient as separate units because they're doing both tasks?

Eternity: i7 6700k, nVidia GTX GeForce 1070, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/2 TB WD Black HDD, Corsair RM850X Gold+, Corsair H115i Extreme, Fractal Design R4, 16GB Cosair Vengeance 2400,  Acer Predator XB271HU

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

A) If you do get Fiber run to the house they will put a ONT on your house. Which should covert it over from Fiber to Coax or Ethernet. I know Verzion uses Coax if you use TV service. I should mention the ONT acts as your modem. 

B) As another pointed out you want a seperat modem and router. You didnt not state what kind of Internet you have right now. If Cable then you look in to a DOCSIS modem that can handle the speed you currently have. I personally have the Motorola SB6141. Its on the lower end as I only get 75 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. But Motorola has good modems, I paid $80 for mine about 2 years ago, now they are about $60 all day long. You will need to check with your ISP's supported device list before you buy. Id go with @Speedbird suggestion of the Archer C7 router. My sister has one and its seems to cover a good area and be fairly fast. Its also dual band and normally under $100 USD, might even find it as low as $60 USD on sale. 

Other thoughts

Make sure you plan out your runs ahead of time. Ive never ran cable myself but I have seen many threads about it. Most suggest at least 2 cables per run. If your able to save on the router and modem and such, I would look at buying a small UPS. I have my desktop PC's UPS powering my network equipment. While power was out at my house I still had access to the internet. My guess is Comcast has battery backups on the network around me. Another option you have also, is not using one signal router. If your willing to run cabling you could just install  Wireless access points in key areas of your home giving you the best coverage. This really only apply in larger homes. Because in most smaller homes one AP (which is built in to the router) should be able to handle it.  

Been a while so I had to look up "ONT". Once I came across "NID" I knew what you were talking about. That would save me a bit of cash if they do install that to the house. I'm looking into it - hopefully they do.

My house is small enough that a single AP is fine. If I expand then I may need more than one. As for cabling, I'm on cable right now, forgot to add that into the original post.

Thanks Donut.