GPU Upgrading and CPU Bottleneck Questions

Red_Park

I am looking to upgrade my EVGA Nvdia GT 730 GPU to a GTX 1050 Ti, after consulting my friend, he said that my AMD FX 4300 CPU would bottleneck the GTX 1050 Ti. My question is is this true and what cpu (preferably cheap as I am only 14 without a job) would be compatible with my motherboard and would alleviate the bottleneck. I usually play games such as CS:GO, Miscreated, Heroes and Generals, Insurgency, Payday 2, Minecraft and Hearthstone. Thanks for the help.

Just go with the 1050Ti. It will be fine. Don't put to much wheight on bottleneck since there always will be one somewhere. You might not get the full potential if it is, but it will still be good playable. Could consider a OC aswell for the CPU.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

10 minutes ago, Gonio said:

Just go with the 1050Ti. It will be fine. Don't put to much wheight on bottleneck since there always will be one somewhere. You might not get the full potential if it is, but it will still be good playable. Could consider a OC aswell for the CPU.

Thanks for the answer. Although I'm not too familiar or comfortable with a OC. 

Right off the bat: Your CPU will probably bottleneck your GPU but that might not be as big of an issue as you think. You can just get your GPU upgrade, then see if your framerates are alright and if they are: you're fine for now! Of course you aren't using your GPU to its full potential but you most definitely will get an improvement over the GT 730. Don't waste your money on an upgrade on AM3+ but rather save some and build yourself an entirely new rig when you've got some cash. It will be worth it.

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

3 minutes ago, Red_Park said:

Thanks for the answer. Although I'm not too familiar or comfortable with a OC. 

It's really easy to do. I'm not too familiar with AMD overclocking but there should be plenty of only guides on the subject. Especially if your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU you can get an extra couple of FPS out of that system of yours.

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

1 minute ago, toasty6776 said:

It's really easy to do. I'm not too familiar with AMD overclocking but there should be plenty of only guides on the subject. Especially if your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU you can get an extra couple of FPS out of that system of yours.

Thank you for both of your answers. I think I will go with your approach of just getting the upgrade now and waiting until later for a overhaul. Thanks again.

39 minutes ago, Red_Park said:

I am looking to upgrade my EVGA Nvdia GT 730 GPU to a GTX 1050 Ti, after consulting my friend, he said that my AMD FX 4300 CPU would bottleneck the GTX 1050 Ti. My question is is this true and what cpu (preferably cheap as I am only 14 without a job) would be compatible with my motherboard and would alleviate the bottleneck. I usually play games such as CS:GO, Miscreated, Heroes and Generals, Insurgency, Payday 2, Minecraft and Hearthstone. Thanks for the help.

Find an extra $30-40 and get an RX 470 man, it's far more capable of 1080p 60hz gaming in AAA games, otherwise for those games just find a used GPU on the cheap, something like a 7850 would work fine

as for bottlenecking it'll depend on the game, but most should still be able to hit 60fps with that chip

your next upgrade should probably be to Ryzen or the pentium G4560

or if you check out the refurbished section on newegg you can find an R7 370 for $90
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131707

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Find an extra $30-40 and get an RX 470 man, it's far more capable of 1080p 60hz gaming in AAA games, otherwise for those games just find a used GPU on the cheap, something like a 7850 would work fine

as for bottlenecking it'll depend on the game, but most should still be able to hit 60fps with that chip

your next upgrade should probably be to Ryzen or the pentium G4560

Thanks for the input, I'll be sure to look into this

1 minute ago, Red_Park said:

Thanks for the input, I'll be sure to look into this

edited it, added a $90 R7 370
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131707

The 470 is in the comparison

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?