Unusually low framerates in games

JoePro87

Hey all. As the title implies, I'm getting very low framerates on my PC, and I can't figure out why. I have had a few people make some suggestions, none of which have helped. My rig has an FX-8300 oc'd to 3.7Ghz. I can't get it any higher while still being stable. (Yes, I think there may be something wrong with it), on an Asus M5A97LE R2.0 mobo. I have 16GB of DDR3, and a Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390 Nitro. I saw a few videos on YouTube where people with similiar specs are easily able to pull 80-90fps average on high/max settings on GTA V. I'm getting between 20-25. I have a video where it shows my normal settings, and another where I run the lowest possible settings. Even at the lowest settings, I'm still not able to average near 60fps, although there are a few times where it gets as high as 180. If someone could offer me some help, it would be VERY much appreciated. Thank you all.

High/max settings video - 

Lowest possible settings video - 

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Are you running any large mods? Looking at that graph your whole system load is dropping 

The only mods I have are the Script Hook V, and the speedometer mod.

Don't jump to the conclusion that theres something wrong with your cpu, you just didn't win the silicon lottery. I would take a look at your bios and check your settings. It may be thermal throttling, but I haven't checked your temps  

4 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

Hey all. As the title implies, I'm getting very low framerates on my PC, and I can't figure out why. I have had a few people make some suggestions, none of which have helped. My rig has an FX-8300 oc'd to 3.7Ghz. I can't get it any higher while still being stable. (Yes, I think there may be something wrong with it), on an Asus M5A97LE R2.0 mobo. I have 16GB of DDR3, and a Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 390 Nitro. I saw a few videos on YouTube where people with similiar specs are easily able to pull 80-90fps average on high/max settings on GTA V. I'm getting between 20-25. I have a video where it shows my normal settings, and another where I run the lowest possible settings. Even at the lowest settings, I'm still not able to average near 60fps, although there are a few times where it gets as high as 180. If someone could offer me some help, it would be VERY much appreciated. Thank you all.

High/max settings video - 

Lowest possible settings video - 

mostly the reason you cant oc the cpu any further is because of the motherboard. as for those fps you are getting they are way too low. i'm getting at the lowest 40ish fps with a fx8350 at stock clocks. 

1 minute ago, VirusStorm said:

Don't jump to the conclusion that theres something wrong with your cpu, you just didn't win the silicon lottery. I would take a look at your bios and check your settings. It may be thermal throttling, but I haven't checked your temps  

i have the same motherboard and it wont let me oc my fx8350 at all it has a shit phase design apparently. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

i have the same motherboard and it wont let me oc my fx8350 at all it has a shit phase design apparently. 

I have the same one as well, but I was able to OC my 8350 to 4.4

4 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

I don't get anywhere NEAR max temps. Highest I've ever seen my CPU get while gaming was 63, and the highest I've seen the GPU was 74.

2 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

I don't get anywhere NEAR max temps. Highest I've ever seen my CPU get while gaming was 63, and the highest I've seen the GPU was 74.

I'm not sure then 

same. i just get a power error and my computer crashes. it has a pretty bad phase design its not meant to do insane overclocking. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

same. i just get a power error and my computer crashes. it has a pretty bad phase design its not meant to do insane overclocking. 

Even then, I'm okay with running stock clock speeds. I just want to get better framerates than a console. Ffs, I spent over $900 on this thing.

1 minute ago, JoePro87 said:

Even then, I'm okay with running stock clock speeds. I just want to get better framerates than a console. Ffs, I spent over $900 on this thing.

Yeah it's probably not the cpu that's holding you back. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah it's probably not the cpu that's holding you back. 

So, how do I figure out what is holding me back?

Firstly, don't believe all of those videos on Youtube.

Second, what is your memory's clock speed?

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Firstly, don't believe all of those videos on Youtube.

Second, what is your memory's clock speed?

1600Mhz. (I have 2 cards running dual channel)

And these are reputable sources, not just some random kid. It was a video by Salazar Studio

1600Mhz. (I have 2 cards running dual channel)

And these are reputable sources, not just some random kid. It was a video by Salazar Studio

People lie, albeit sometimes unintentionally. Linus did a video a long time ago saying that memory speed doesn't matter, and it does. People still believe that video even though other sources say the contrary, including myself based on experience.

I know GTA 5 has some finicky stuff going on with it for AMD CPUs, but I don't think your performance should be that bad. Do you have any of those "advanced graphics" settings enabled by chance? There's only a handful of them or something like that - disable all of them because they really don't do anything but wreck your performance. 

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

People lie, albeit sometimes unintentionally. Linus did a video a long time ago saying that memory speed doesn't matter, and it does. People still believe that video even though other sources say the contrary, including myself based on experience.

I know GTA 5 has some finicky stuff going on with it for AMD CPUs, but I don't think your performance should be that bad. Do you have any of those "advanced graphics" settings enabled by chance? There's only a handful of them or something like that - disable all of them because they really don't do anything but wreck your performance. 

If you look at the 2nd video, I have EVERY graphics setting turned all the way down (well, aside from resolution). Even then, I still am not averaging 50fps. 

If you look at the 2nd video, I have EVERY graphics setting turned all the way down (well, aside from resolution). Even then, I still am not averaging 50fps. 

So you have all of these off?

dsasaddsaasdasd.JPG

So you have all of these off?

dsasaddsaasdasd.JPG

Yes.

4 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

Yes.

I'm speaking as someone not super familiar with AMD's platform, but I found this while Googling for your issue.

The "best answer" is as follows: 

Your CPU is throttling, check the temperatures using CoreTemp. If it reaches 60º-62º celsius and suddenly drops, the CPU cooling is insufficient.

If the temperatures are normal, it's most likely the motherboard voltage regulators throttling because of heat. Adding a fan over them should help.

4.6Ghz is on the high side for a FX overclock. Dropping to 4.5Ghz or 4.4Ghz should use much less voltage than 4.6Ghz, and the performance is practically the same. After 4.2Ghz, those CPUs take much voltage for small steps in speed.

I'm speaking as someone not super familiar with AMD's platform, but I found this while Googling for your issue.

The "best answer" is as follows: 

Your CPU is throttling, check the temperatures using CoreTemp. If it reaches 60º-62º celsius and suddenly drops, the CPU cooling is insufficient.

If the temperatures are normal, it's most likely the motherboard voltage regulators throttling because of heat. Adding a fan over them should help.

4.6Ghz is on the high side for a FX overclock. Dropping to 4.5Ghz or 4.4Ghz should use much less voltage than 4.6Ghz, and the performance is practically the same. After 4.2Ghz, those CPUs take much voltage for small steps in speed.

Jeez, I wish I were complaining about running a 4.6Ghz overclock. Mine is only at 3.7. :/ Well...I guess maybe it's the motherboard. I'll try adding a fan, and see if that helps.

1 minute ago, JoePro87 said:

Jeez, I wish I were complaining about running a 4.6Ghz overclock. Mine is only at 3.7. :/ Well...I guess maybe it's the motherboard. I'll try adding a fan, and see if that helps.

Let us know what happens. I'm curious myself.

6 hours ago, JoePro87 said:

also you could try messing with the fullscreen settings because i know i was having issues with either the full-screen or the windowed-borderless setting. 

13 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

also you could try messing with the fullscreen settings because i know i was having issues with either the full-screen or the windowed-borderless setting. 

Whether I'm in fullscreen, windowed, or borderless windowed, I still get very low framerates.