Reinstalling Windows 10 on a new Dell Laptop?

Dell chat reps are clueless, so I came here to talk to the real experts.

I'm about to purchase the new XPS 15 9560.  I would like to do a fresh install of Windows 10 pro once I get it, to get rid of the bloatware.

Does Dell include my product license for windows 10 pro in the packaging or software itself?  Will I be able to install windows 10 pro from a microsoft image, and activate it using said product key?

Thanks guys!

5 minutes ago, SicVisPacem said:

I'm about to purchase the new XPS 15 9560.  I would like to do a fresh install of Windows 10 pro once I get it, to get rid of the bloatware.

Does Dell include my product license for windows 10 pro in the packaging or software itself?  Will I be able to install windows 10 pro from a microsoft image, and activate it using said product key?

Thanks guys!

Unless you configured it to have Windows 10 Pro, It's gonna have Windows 10 Home.

No you won't be able to use an external image.

This is an OEM machine. If you want to make an image of it then you need another unit of it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Unless you configured it to have Windows 10 Pro, It's gonna have Windows 10 Home.

No you won't be able to use an external image.

This is an OEM machine. If you want to make an image of it then you need another unit of it.

I planned to purchased windows 10 pro...

I need another unit of what?

so it's not possible to do a clean install of windows 10 pro?  I thought the laptop would come with a license key for my software, so I could re-install windows 10 pro and put in the license key.

If they include Windows 10 Pro then the Product Key will be programmed into the BIOS so when you install it won't even ask for a key.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, SicVisPacem said:

I planned to purchased windows 10 pro...

Make sure to purchase an Upgrade key and not a full original version.

The upgrade key costs about half the price and it'll work since you already get Home with the laptop.

I need another unit of what?

Your best bet is to just set it up and then complete re-install.

so it's not possible to do a clean install of windows 10 pro?

It is but to re-image it would be more difficult than just a clean re-install.

I thought the laptop would come with a license key for my software, so I could re-install windows 10 pro and put in the license key.

You don't need to re-install in order to upgrade to Pro. You just need to install 10 Home, remove all junkware and just upgrade and input the upgrade key for Pro.

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

If they include Windows 10 Pro then the Product Key will be programmed into the BIOS so when you install it won't even ask for a key.

Dell doesn't sell Windows 10 Pro on Pro level machines running Windows 10. Confused? So am I.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Dell doesn't sell Windows 10 Pro on Pro level machines running Windows 10. Confused? So am I.

As stupid as that is I'm not surprised, it's Dell after all, lol

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Dell has one option for windows 10 - $50 more and you get Pro. (see attached photo)

My plan was to purchase it with Pro, and then re-install windows 10 pro from microsoft to get rid of any bloatware that might be hiding.  

Is this not going to work, even if I have a windows 10 pro activation key?  I'm confused :-/

dell.jpg

5 minutes ago, SicVisPacem said:

Dell has one option for windows 10 - $50 more and you get Pro. (see attached photo)

My plan was to purchase it with Pro, and then re-install windows 10 pro from microsoft to get rid of any bloatware that might be hiding.  

Is this not going to work, even if I have a windows 10 pro activation key?  I'm confused :-/

dell.jpg

There's no need to re-install it from Microsoft. You're making this unnecessarily complicated.

Just install 10 Pro on it. Do a clean software reset (using the tool in Windows 10) and you won't have any bloat.

12 hours ago, SicVisPacem said:

Thanks guys!

look at the guide in my signature

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE