K95: Cherry MX Browns or Reds?

K95: Cherry MX Browns or Reds?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. I'm getting a K95 keyboard for all-purpose use, should I get the Cherry MX Brown or the Cherry MX Red version?

• Cherry MX Brown
    • Cherry MX Red

Hi, I'm getting the Corsair K95 RGB. I do a lot of video editing but I also love playing games for long durations on the weekends. I play games of almost any genre and I sometimes type up long research papers. What type of key switch would you suggest for me? The Cherry MX Reds or Cherry MX Browns? I need something truly for all-purpose use.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Anonymous00001 said:

Hi, I'm getting the Corsair K95 RGB. I do a lot of video editing but I also love playing games for long durations on the weekends. I play games of almost any genre and I sometimes type up long research papers. What type of key switch would you suggest for me? The Cherry MX Reds or Cherry MX Browns? I need something truly for all-purpose use.

Thank you.

i would get a cherry mx brown keyboard, as typing on a mechanical keyboard with no tactile feedback - personally is quite boring. When it comes to the brown and blue cherry mx switches, they truly are a lot of fun to type on. So much so, that i often find myself typing random things in notepad because of it lol. To reiterate myself, the cherry mx red switch is boring.

Also brown is known to be very good at both typing and gaming :) 

You should test them out and choose which one you like best instead of relying on others feelings on the matter.

There isn't a right or wrong choice, it all comes down to personal feel, and it's something you can't decide without trying.

I read up on it for hours. Everything I read said that I would love Blue or Brown switches.

I hate both.

Blue switches are way too loud and obnoxious, and Brown switches feel mushy and gross.

If you live close to family/roommates check with them first. The Blue switches might end up with your keyboard in pieces outside the house.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It is best to try it out yourself with sample switches because everyone likes a different typing experience

Hello

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You should test them out and choose which one you like best instead of relying on others feelings on the matter.

There isn't a right or wrong choice, it all comes down to personal feel, and it's something you can't decide without trying.

I read up on it for hours. Everything I read said that I would love Blue or Brown switches.

I hate both.

Blue switches are way too loud and obnoxious, and Brown switches feel mushy and gross.

If you live close to family/roommates check with them first. The Blue switches might end up with your keyboard in pieces outside the house.

Hard because no one I know has a mechanical keyboard and my local NCIX/BestBuy doesn't have any mechanical keyboard switches I can test.

1 minute ago, Anonymous00001 said:

Hard because no one I know has a mechanical keyboard and my local NCIX/BestBuy doesn't have any mechanical keyboard switches I can test.

Buy from amazon or ebay. they are usually $3-$5

Hello

Hard because no one I know has a mechanical keyboard and my local NCIX/BestBuy don't have any mechanical keyboard switches I can test.

You can buy a switch tester for around $15.

If you're going to drop that much money on a keyboard, spending the extra $15 to make sure you get the right switch should be a no brainer.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Buy from amazon or ebay. they are usually $3-$5

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

You can buy a switch tester for around $15.

If you're going to drop that much money on a keyboard, spending the extra $15 to make sure you get the right switch should be a no brainer.

Ok, thank you!

Ok, thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/WASD-6-Key-Cherry-Switch-Tester/dp/B00AZQKCD4

This is a well known, quality brand.

Or if you want to save some money you could get this one, but I don't know about the quality of the switches.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-keyboards-Switch-keyboard-Sampler/dp/B01G3BJOHO/ref=pd_lpo_147_lp_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M2S6640VSFZ67FSHWP3A

They make a cool desktop accessory too!

You can also try out the different o rings to see if you prefer the feel/sound of those.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Personally I prefer Browns.  Explaining why gets darn subjective.

But, if you can't try any out in person then I still say try the Browns, because - for all purpose use - the tactile feedback of the browns is better suited to typing for people not already accustomed to linear keys.

IOW, if you have no prior experience with mechanical keys you are probably less likely to be dissatisfied by going with Browns over Reds.  If the question was Browns vs Blues then it would be more difficult to help you.

1 minute ago, ThomasD said:

Personally I prefer Browns.  Explaining why gets darn subjective.

But, if you can't try any out in person then I still say try the Browns, because - for all purpose use - the tactile feedback of the browns is better suited to typing for people not already accustomed to linear keys.

IOW, if you have no prior experience with mechanical keys you are probably less likely to be dissatisfied by going with Browns over Reds.  If the question was Browns vs Blues then it would be more difficult to help you.

Honestly, this is going to be my first mechanical keyboard ever. I'm building a new gaming and video editing rig and really want to make the switch from rubber dome and membrane keyboards.

Knowing this, would you strongly recommend me buying the Cherry MX Red variant of the keyboard? I'm very interested in the tactile bump of the Cherry MX Browns.

2 minutes ago, Anonymous00001 said:

Honestly, this is going to be my first mechanical keyboard ever. I'm building a new gaming and video editing rig and really want to make the switch from rubber dome and membrane keyboards.

Knowing this, would you strongly recommend me buying the Cherry MX Red variant of the keyboard? I'm very interested in the tactile bump of the Cherry MX Browns.

No, I still say Browns.  Reds are really only for two kinds of people - either people who already know exactly what they want or those who are buying the keyboard for dedicated gaming.

Trying to type text with Reds takes some serious getting used to.

I prefer Cherry MX Reds. I myself have the Corsair STRAFE RGB and I love it when I got it to replace the Razer Blackwidow 2014.

From experience with both reds and browns (currently typing on browns) I would recommend brown for the middle ground as you noted you want. Reds are aimed primarily for gaming and nothing else, browns for gaming and typing. I really didn't notice a huge difference when gaming on reds vs browns but when typing you will definitely feel the difference. MX Browns FTW

I've tried browns and also didn't take to them - they were good but felt mushy - I love reds - for typing and also for gaming .

Recentyl I got myself a Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB and I love it for typing contrary to  all the posts I've read - But I have to say that I've been using reds for over 2 years now and I'm familiar with Linear switches           

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU