Holding out for Ryzen - Early Jan build

Been gathering some money the past few months and want to get an early build within the first few weeks in Jan. The build is mainly for gaming and any work will be using office or other light software. Maybe some light video editing, but nothing too major. 

I'm decided on most of my parts and was originally going for the Skylake i5. However, as Kabylake is rumoured to be very early Jan, supposedly at CES, I thought it might be worth getting that instead. As long as the product obviously isn't a complete flop in the gain that I would get for paying, I would assume, a bit more than I would for Skylake. 

I really want to get this build up by the end of Jan; I am going to start ordering more concrete parts like storage devices and the case just after Christmas and possibly before the new year. Ryzen's release appears very much up in the air, compared to Kabylake, even though all information is still 'rumours', but would it be worth waiting until say Feb or March to get Ryzen. Will there be much of a difference than getting Skylake or Kabylake, if the chips drop early Jan, in terms of just being put in what will be a primarily a gaming rig with no work software or video rendering?

EDIT: This may have been posted in the wrong section, 'CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory seem more fitting.

Edited by Pumpedxd
Thread location suggestion

2 minutes ago, Pumpedxd said:

Been gathering some money the past few months and want to get an early build within the first few weeks in Jan. The build is mainly for gaming and any work will be using office or other light software. Maybe some light video editing, but nothing too major. 

I'm decided on most of my parts and was originally going for the Skylake i5. However, as Kabylake is rumoured to be very early Jan, supposedly at CES, I thought it might be worth getting that instead. As long as the product obviously isn't a complete flop in the gain that I would get for paying, I would assume, a bit more than I would for Skylake. 

I really want to get this build up by the end of Jan; I am going to start ordering more concrete parts like storage devices and the case just after Christmas and possibly before the new year. Ryzen's release appears very much up in the air, compared to Kabylake, even though all information is still 'rumours', but would it be worth waiting until say Feb or March to get Ryzen. Will there be much of a difference than getting Skylake or Kabylake, if the chips drop early Jan, in terms of just being put in what will be a primarily a gaming rig with no work software or video rendering?

Jan 17th is rining in my head for both Vega/RYZEN although I don't know why

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

havent seen any concrete benchmarks of kaby lake so its hard to say

considering its the same socket and TDP i imagine there will be little to no difference in performance vs skylake

skylake is a good choice

an i5 6600k will still be great for gaming 

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, mok said:

considering its the same socket and TDP i imagine there will be little to no difference in performance vs skylake

skylake is a good choice

Yeah, as long as the chips release very early Jan, I'll probably just wait for reviews to see if it's worth adopting. Otherwise, more than likely, I will just go with the Skylake chip. 

3 minutes ago, mok said:

skylake is a good choice

There are many benches of Kaby Lake and all of those are the same on one thing: in terms of CPU performance there will be little to no gain over Skylake (at the same clock speeds) meaning that it's not worth the wait. Zen is though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

10 minutes ago, mok said:

skylake is a good choice

Same ipc just clocked higher. Look here

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Kaby-Lake-Core-i7-7500U-Review-Skylake-on-Steroids.172692.0.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-overclocking-performance-review,4836.html