Should I get an SSD or GPU?

Akolyte

You can see my specs in my Signature, but there's this thing at my local Electronics store, where I can get an SSD for cheaper than in other places. Although its specifically this SSD that is cheaper.  So I'm nervous about buying it, I don't want it to be a piece of crap.  I'm also saving up for a GPU upgrade though thats far off!  The SSD is just above 1 dollar per GB which is great for Newzealand since over here the American price is almost doubled.  I could also really do with an SSD, since I've never... I repeat, Never had one before and I constantly hear great stuff about them.  The SSD is a Crucial M500 120GB SSD with 9.5 mm Adapter.  So I hope you guys know about this drive and can assist me with whether I should buy it or not.  My Local PC shop also sell SSDs but those are Intel 520 ones that are far more expensive. Thanks guys :)  heres the link: http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers/external-hard-drives/solid-state-drives/crucial-ct120m500ssd1-m500-120gb-2-5-ssd-with-9-5mm-adapter/prod122081.html

GPU

Why do you say that? All I'll be able to get in the way of GPU is a 660

GPU

Yes i agree, save for the gpu

CPU: i5 3570k CPU Cooler: Hyper 212+ Mobo: Asrock Pro 4 Z77 GPU: Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 PSU: Seasonic G 650w HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB SSD: Kingston v300 Sound Card: Asus xonar dg MonitorAcer K272HUL, HP 22bw 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G400 Mousepad: Steelseries Qck+ Case: Corsair Air 540 Fans: 4x Noctua NF-P12 (saving up for more)

For what an SSD adds which is little to nothing get a video card but make sure it is something you really want and will increase your enjoyment with gaming.  I assume you want a better video card cuz you are a gamer.  In fact you should have been more clear here when asking for help picking pc parts as in telling us what you are using the pc for.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

you will definitely notice a performance improvement with an SSD. However, an upgrade for the 650 will be noticeable as well

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

Neither. Save up.The jump to a 660 isn't worth it. The SSD is the first thing to go when I need to cut down a budget, just because it's the easiest to retrofit.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Depends what GPU you are going to get

The GPU I would get is a GTX 660 or an r7 260x

Neither. Save up.The jump to a 660 isn't worth it. The SSD is the first thing to go when I need to cut down a budget, just because it's the easiest to retrofit.

I agree. Save up until you can get something better.

Spoiler

For what an SSD adds which is little to nothing get a video card but make sure it is something you really want and will increase your enjoyment with gaming.  I assume you want a better video card cuz you are a gamer.  In fact you should have been more clear here when asking for help picking pc parts as in telling us what you are using the pc for.

Okay, well I'm using the PC for Virtual Machienes, normal kinda stuff, Minecraft and hoping to get into titles like bf4 in the future.

Get a 7950/7970 man, then later look at an SSD, but if your not a gamer then get the SSD and get a better gpu later. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

I agree. Save up until you can get something better.

Why is the SSD bad?

Get a 7950/7970 man, then later look at an SSD, but if your not a gamer then get the SSD and get a better gpu later. 

Thanks, I'll have a good think about it

Both will be noticable upgrades. Slam all of your programs and OS on your SSD and you'll notice a significant speed increase. Though getting a better GPU is awesome too. GTX 680s are under $350 now.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Well, depends what you do.  SSD upgrade will be noticeable everywhere.  GPU upgrade will be noticeable only in games.  I'm using basically an underclocked GT 640 right now and I get along pretty well with it, it'll hold me over until my main rig is finished (way down the road hehe).  Everyone has different standards though I suppose.  I don't think sticking with the GTX 650 for a little while longer is the end of the world.  And I really like the snappiness an SSD brings.

Both will be noticable upgrades. Slam all of your programs and OS on your SSD and  68you'll notice a significant speed increase. Though getting a better GPU is awesome too. GTX 680s are under $350 now.

7970's are better then a 680...

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Thanks, I'll have a good think about it

Currenty the most I play is minecraft.

Both will be noticable upgrades. Slam all of your programs and OS on your SSD and you'll notice a significant speed increase. Though getting a better GPU is awesome too. GTX 680s are under $350 now.

Over here they are around $1000

Well, depends what you do.  SSD upgrade will be noticeable everywhere.  GPU upgrade will be noticeable only in games.  I'm using basically an underclocked GT 640 right now and I get along pretty well with it, it'll hold me over until my main rig is finished (way down the road hehe).  Everyone has different standards though I suppose.  I don't think sticking with the GTX 650 for a little while longer is the end of the world.  And I really like the snappiness an SSD brings.

Thanks! that really helps, I appreciate it :).  Would you say the m500 SSD is reliable?

A 660 vs a 650 isn't a big enough jump to be worth the money. I would get something a lot more powerfull, such as a 680 as some have said, or a 7950 can be found for pretty cheap now I would believe. But if you don't game all that much, an SSD would make a bigger every day change for your PC. I can't stand using a computer without an SSD now, but I also can't stand playing a video game at subpar settings and low FPS (but I don't game much anymore, so personally I would go for the ssd).

Its really based on what you want, but don't get a 660, go bigger than that or its not worth it.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Saving for a 660 when you have a 650 makes little sense to me. Keep saving for something with more power, maybe you'll get lucky with a sale or something. Black Friday/ Cyber Monday is only a month away. Save the SSD for last.

Over here they are around $1000

I thought Aus prices were bad man....look at places that ship internationally cause shipping something half way across the world is cheaper then that lol

O wow, if 680's are still 1000, then I would just get the ssd. The cheapest thing I could say is worthwhile would be a 7870, but that will probably still be expensive! Find a friend in the states to buy a GPU and ship it ;)

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air