microwave jamms my wifi?!?

glunday

so i just got done testing this, let me preface this by saying i know that microwaves, handheld phones things like that emit 2.4 ghz. but my microwave actually JAMS my wifi when im using it, it says im connected but have no internet and i tested using my phone laptop and desktop (tested a total of 3 times per device). this is really weird. anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

i7 6700k - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - assorted other stuff

1st of all: learn to cook :-)

2nd of all: can I have your microwave?

3rd of all: unless you are a microwave-frequency-change-technician you can't do anything about it. Get another microwave, maybe that will help :-)

the reason why wifi is on 2.4GHz is because they made that frequency "free for public use" because of microwaves.

that said, from someone who has an entire family in the kitchen industry:

- if you get a high quality microwave, it shouldnt emit enough EMI to completely jam your signal, all of them will at least interfere a bit.

- if your microwave actually locks up wifi enable devices, that's a pretty clear indication that your microwave's farraday cage is somehow compromised, and you need to replace it yesterday. (there was a case a while ago of someone whose router would completely lock up and need a hard reset every time he used his microwave)

1 minute ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

microwave-frequency-change-technician

there's a reason why microwaves are specificly on 2.4GHz ;)

use ethernet. Or don't use your microwave when you're using wifi, or use aluminum foil or a space blanket to have the microwaves reflect back into the microwave. 

it just threw me because me old microwave didn't do this, and i hadn't put 2 and 2 together until now.

Just now, manikyath said:

was just talking bananas in the actual hope that OP in fact is not a said "microwave-frequency-change-technician", he will never know...

Just now, glunday said:

it just threw me because me old microwave didn't do this, and i hadn't put 2 and 2 together until now.

put your hot pockets in the oven. It's less likely to cause cancer. 

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

the reason why wifi is on 2.4GHz is because they made that frequency "free for public use" because of microwaves.

- if you get a high quality microwave, it shouldnt emit enough EMI to completely jam your signal, all of them will at least interfere a bit.

- if your microwave actually locks up wifi enable devices, that's a pretty clear indication that your microwave's farraday cage is somehow compromised, and you need to replace it yesterday. (there was a case a while ago of someone whose router would completely lock up and need a hard reset every time he used his microwave)

its a cheap 20$ microwave lol

Just now, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

was just talking bananas in the actual hope that OP in fact is not a said "microwave-frequency-change-technician", he will never know...

except that statements like you just made are sadly the source for quackery to be sold..

except that statements like you just made are sadly the source for quackery to be sold..

whats quackery? 

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

i just thought it was the same thing as a blinker fluid installer or a muffler bearing technician lol.

Just now, glunday said:

its a cheap 20$ microwave lol

yeah.. toss that thing out the very next time you have the budget for an actually decent piece of equipment.

microwaves are a massive health risk beyond the food that comes out of them. (microwaves kinda imply frozen/reheated/junkfood)

2 minutes ago, glunday said:

i just thought it was the same thing as a blinker fluid installer or a muffler bearing technician lol.

just use some elbow grease/ 

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

yeah.. toss that thing out the very next time you have the budget for an actually decent piece of equipment.

microwaves are a massive health risk beyond the food that comes out of them. (microwaves kinda imply frozen/reheated/junkfood)

well im on a student budget (after i made room for the computer upgrades of course) also i haven't seen any studies that show any adverse effects from a microwave that's functioning properly.

1 minute ago, fpo said:

whats quackery? 

example of quackery:

"if you put your plate of food on this coaster it will rejuvinate the natural balance in your food taken away by wifi, only €40 for a limited time."

--

it's basicly people who take the words of actually intelligent people out of context to make a MASSIVE markup on products that do not work. the example i just stated was literally a normal plastic coaster with a metal ring baked into it.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

example of quackery:

"if you put your plate of food on this coaster it will rejuvinate the natural balance in your food taken away by wifi, only €40 for a limited time."

--

it's basicly people who take the words of actually intelligent people out of context to make a MASSIVE markup on products that do not work. the example i just stated was literally a normal plastic coaster with a metal ring baked into it.

that made no sense but I think that's because it was the definition. I got it but I can't explain it. Thanks! 

Just now, glunday said:

well im on a student budget (after i made room for the computer upgrades of course) also i haven't seen any studies that show many adverse effects from a microwave that's functioning properly.

BEWARE: More Quackery incoming:

Don't worry, they are perfectly safe. You are a student so you are by laws of nature required to eat junkfood (only if unhealthy of course). All studies that would say otherwise are totally not legit at all! Also: smoking doesn't cause cancer and please use condoms.

PS:

Quackery is the promotion of fraudulent or ignorant medical practices. A quack is a "fraudulent or ignorant pretender to medical skill" or "a person who pretends, professionally or publicly, to have skill, knowledge, or qualifications he or she does not possess; a charlatan or snake oil salesman".

Just now, glunday said:

well im on a student budget (after i made room for the computer upgrades of course) also i haven't seen any studies that show many adverse effects from a microwave that's functioning properly.

here's a study: if you take away your microwave's farraday cage, it is 800 watts worth of migraines, and in the worst case eventually cancer.

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

what do you mean by lock up? because my devices can still function and receive the SSID but they just wont connect to the internet or in the case of the laptop and desktop say that there's a connection but no internet connection.

Just now, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

Don't worry, they are perfectly safe. You are a student so you are by laws of nature required to eat junkfood (only if unhealthy of course). All studies that would say otherwise are totally not legit at all! Also: smoking doesn't cause cancer and please use condoms.

tbh, if there's one point in your life to be okay with hot pockets out a cheap microwave, it's in your student years :D

Just now, glunday said:

what do you mean by lock up? because my devices can still function and receive the SSID but they just wont connect to the internet or in the case of the laptop and desktop say that there's a connection but no internet connection.

lock up = device stops working until you unplug and plug back in.

tbh, if there's one point in your life to be okay with hot pockets out a cheap microwave, it's in your student years :D

I knew you would eventually get it.

My next tip will have something to do with lube and bowling balls, so stay tuned ...

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

here's a study: if you take away your microwave's farraday cage, it is 800 watts worth of migraines, and in the worst case eventually cancer.

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

PS:

Quackery is the promotion of fraudulent or ignorant medical practices. A quack is a "fraudulent or ignorant pretender to medical skill" or "a person who pretends, professionally or publicly, to have skill, knowledge, or qualifications he or she does not possess; a charlatan or snake oil salesman".

i said that i haven't seen any studies saying a properly functioning microwave causes adverse effects, if it didn't have a faraday cage it wouldent be a properly functioning microwave would it? also the fact i haven't seen these studies does not mean i wouldent read and inform myself if presented with one. if you believe that they are dangerous please cite your sources.

serously tho OP, try the aluminum thing I said in like poost 1. It will reflect the waves back like a sataljght dish,.